Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Associate
I hope the eventual buyer displays in a (Canadian) Museum and not a private collection - https://backoffice.rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MC18/Monaco/lots/r0008-1978-ferrari-308-gts/620430

BAsCDXwCIAIhFS3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I admit I'm struggling to get excited for F1 this year. I've watched every race for 30 years next season, and used to get butterflies at the start of every race even in the most boring of years (2002/2004 for me), and I know it will partly be down to age, but it just doesn't seem exciting anymore.

The prospect of a good race is slim, and everything they do to try to improve it has the opposite effect; the new tracks are mainly terrible, devoid of character and charm, all from the highest bidder. Everyone complains the cars can't follow each other, and while there is a degree of truth to that, the biggest problem for me is the billiard smooth identitracks. Tracks used to be demanding, leading to drivers making mistakes, and it just doesn't happen anymore - there's no punishment at all for going off track half the time. That it's a similar story in BTCC (more action from cars hitting each other) for me shows the true issue.

Everything is too predictable now. It's getting to the point where I'm more excited at following the race for my Fantasy GP team than I am the race itself.

I wish Indycar had better UK coverage, as it looks in a much better place now, not too far away from the its mid-90s CART peak.

Phew, that turned into more of a rant than I was expecting.

Soldato
I've been preparing for the loss of FTA F1 by starting to follow other series (some have been on and off for a couple of years). It occurred to me that the main reason I watch F1 is because it's the most publicised, easiest to access etc, rather than because it's particularly good. So I'm looking forward to 2019, so I can properly focus on the series that actually have some of the best racing currently around:
  • World Endurance Championship (looks to be a great season with a big field of privateer LMP1s and healthy competition in all classes, across great tracks that each bring their own flavour)
  • V8 Supercars (love the cars, which are spectacular to watch because they're more power than control, and the tracks, which are uniquely characterful)
  • Indycar (first for me this year after watching Indianapolis last year. Like the Supercars, the more power than control aspect really works, making the cars spectacular as they're clearly hard to control and move about. Enjoyed the race at St Petersburg, but slightly gutted that Rossi didn't at least cop a penalty for that lunge)
  • Moto GP (possibly the best close racing in the business that doesn't result in constant contact. Really close to the point where 6-10 riders could win any GP fairly realistically, and a good number more could win without a major incident causing it)
Thankfully I have BT Sport cheap with my broadband package/EE phone, so that's Moto GP and Indycar available (particularly as Moto GP has the spoiler free replays available). V8 Supercars has Superview for ~$60 AUD a season and WEC has the official streams for good money too.

Might return to F1 when Sky isn't the only option and/or when the racing has improved. I'll still watch this year nonetheless.

Man of Honour
OP
If you get a spare hour there's a really good podcast with Martin Brundle previewing this season:

Pretty much agree with everything he says and there's a lot of interesting stories along the way.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

New F1 theme set to some classic highlights. Still lol at the Ferrari mechanic that headbutts the wall when Massa lost the WDC 2008 :D

Back
Top Bottom