Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
I'm just not sure that's workable. The teams would need to stump up for more crash testing, in addition to the monocoque, and anything that adds more cost is going to hand an advantage to the bigger teams 99.9% of the time.

Caporegime
Hard to argue that one.

It's not that hard really. If you look at the shots, the motion of the car wouldn't have brought the tyre into contact with the drivers head anyway. I think we're going to see a lot of this: something will hit the halo and everyone will go on about how the Halo is saving lives when it's not clear anything would have hit the driver anyway. Hitting the Halo does not mean it saved the driver.

Soldato
It's not that hard really. If you look at the shots, the motion of the car wouldn't have brought the tyre into contact with the drivers head anyway. I think we're going to see a lot of this: something will hit the halo and everyone will go on about how the Halo is saving lives when it's not clear anything would have hit the driver anyway. Hitting the Halo does not mean it saved the driver.

Perhaps not the tyre, but it's entirely possible that part of the rear crash structure with the rain light would have.
5IgLmn8l.png.jpg

Caporegime
I think that's also highly unlikely, but either way, the point remains: it's been billed as "halo saved his life" when there's not really any evidence it did any such thing.
I'm sure if you asked the driver if he'd rather have had it than not I know the answer he'd give. I believe the 'saved his life' quote was mirrored by the driver himself too.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Either Merc want it clarifying because they suspect Ferrari shenanigans or they want to know so that they (Merc) can implement some changes to be more competitive.

Soldato
I do find it quite funny that people sitting at home are complaining that a sport, they don't participate in, should be more dangerous. It has zero impact on the racing just the look of the cars.

Nobody (well, not me anyway) is asking for the sport to be more dangerous. It does affect the look of the cars, and that's largely why it has been questioned - could an equally or more safe solution be found that's also more aesthetically pleasing. F1 is very much about the looks as a sport. I believe that halo also does impact the performance of the car, but agree that it is unlikely to impact the racing as they all have the same problem.

Man of Honour
I do find it quite funny that people sitting at home are complaining that a sport, they don't participate in, should be more dangerous. It has zero impact on the racing just the look of the cars.

Penis noses had zero impact on the racing but they were changed. Looks are a factor, no matter how you feel. Fans love the cars as well as the racing.

Back
Top Bottom