Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Just thought I'd give a public thanks to Knockhill after the BTCC meet yesterday. Despite the poor weather yesterday the experience for the fans at the track was fantastic as the circuit has laid down some sort of artificial grass like carpet around the entire circuit perimeter and even in the shelters (calling them "grandstands" might be a bit far) for spectators to sit and walk on. Even with the poor weather there wasn't a bit of mud around the track itself. They've even added another shelter and large spectator seating area since I was last there a few years ago.

Knockhill is a spectacular track with exceptional views for spectators already (easily the best I've ever been to, with only Brands Indy being even remotely close), but while it's a small circuit with I presume a fairly low turnover, I was very impressed with the lengths they've gone to improve the experience of the spectators. It made what ought to have been a wet and miserable day enjoyable instead.

Top job Knockhill. Plenty of circuits and even music festivals could learn a thing or two.

Soldato
This is pretty much it. It was ten years ago, he won the title that year, he's won a bunch of titles since. Yet that penalty clearly still bothers him on some level.

Guess he's that bored on the summer break that he's done everything else and is now up to 'fuming over past stewards decisions' on his list :p

He was robbed and wants justice.

If you were robbed wouldn't you?

Would you just forget it after 10 years if justice had not been served?

Its on his mind here and there but it isn't like it is effecting his performance or like it is so all consuming that he is talking about it in every interview.

Soldato
Just thought I'd give a public thanks to Knockhill after the BTCC meet yesterday. Despite the poor weather yesterday the experience for the fans at the track was fantastic as the circuit has laid down some sort of artificial grass like carpet around the entire circuit perimeter and even in the shelters (calling them "grandstands" might be a bit far) for spectators to sit and walk on. Even with the poor weather there wasn't a bit of mud around the track itself. They've even added another shelter and large spectator seating area since I was last there a few years ago.

Knockhill is a spectacular track with exceptional views for spectators already (easily the best I've ever been to, with only Brands Indy being even remotely close), but while it's a small circuit with I presume a fairly low turnover, I was very impressed with the lengths they've gone to improve the experience of the spectators. It made what ought to have been a wet and miserable day enjoyable instead.

Top job Knockhill. Plenty of circuits and even music festivals could learn a thing or two.

I watched on TV all day, and thought the fans looked proper hardy being out all day in that weather :)

Associate

Caught up with it last night. Thought that there was some great racing as usually turns to carnage when its that wet (although still a couple of suspicious/over zealous moves), they did mention how good an event Knockhill had put on and how great the fans were in the commentary.

Its been on the list to watch BTCC there as always looks good - even if weather is a bit dicey. Brother lives near Dunfermline now so need to take advantage of that!

Soldato
Its been on the list to watch BTCC there as always looks good - even if weather is a bit dicey. Brother lives near Dunfermline now so need to take advantage of that!
You should. It's only about 10 minutes away I guess (we drove through Dunfermline once on the way back to the border). Anywhere but the hairpin has excellent views over most of the track, the only downside being you miss the most obvious overtaking spot and most of the start/finish straight, but there's a few screens dotted around so you can still see the TV feed. I recommend basing yourself somewhere between the chicane and Clark, as the cars are a brilliant watch exiting the chicane and much more lively than on TV. You can see the entry to turn 1 all the way to the exit of Clark.

The weather is usually fine, but it's a bit of a micro-climate (bring a brolly and suncream, as the website says). The first year I went (2004 I think) the racing was delayed an hour due to fog, but another hour after that it ended up as Scotland's warmest day of the year and we were burned. It rained heavily one other year (around 2007 or 2008 I guess) and we abandoned early as it felt freezing in the wind when we were soaked. Other than that and Sunday (and Knockhill had it no worse than most of the rest of the country) the weather has been decent as far as I remember.

You're free to roam the paddock and if you want a quick laugh then watching the kids on the karting track can provide some entertainment over the lunch hour. :D

Last edited:
Associate
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/138495/why-porsche-evo-didnt-break-brands-record

Interesting little article, straight out the box on non optimised tyres pretty impressive to get near the lap record. Only 1 lap where DRS was used so sure another 0.1seconds is there after a few times trying with the DRS. 192mph along start finish when using the Indy track is also impressive!!

Couple of other bits to take...cars next outing is at Laguna Seca and then been retired. Shame its not doing a more widespread tour trying at other lap records too, could have been interesting to see it try at some of the more prominent circuits world wide: Suzuka/Retake Spa/Silverstone/Monza/Bathurst/Brands GP Circuit....the list goes on)

I was quite keen on the idea of an arms race to see who can start setting fastest lap times at circuits (know some people on this and other forums weren't particularly excited by this), dont know how much F1 taking back Spa might have taken the wind out their sails?

Soldato
But it is a 20 year old detuned F1 car on hard rubber driven by what is effectively a gentleman driver. It would hardly have been earth-shattering.

It's a bit of an odd exercise. The Nordschleife one I get though - who doesn't want that? They made a big deal of the Spa record last year, but it's been upgraded completely free from regulations and tyre restrictions. If a current F1 team wanted to do the same they would likely beat them at 90% of tracks, as they already have at Spa.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else made the mistake of updating the live timing app?

They have ruined it. I'm going to complain and I want a refund, it's useless now.

edit- cancelled my renewal and sent an email asking for cancellation and refund of my current subscription, this isn't what I agreed to pay for.

I can't see them reverting back to the old version now. It's dumbed down for the masses, yet I imagine is mostly used by hardcore fans and F1 geeks who were happy how it was.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone else made the mistake of updating the live timing app?

They have ruined it. I'm going to complain and I want a refund, it's useless now.

edit- cancelled my renewal and sent an email asking for cancellation and refund of my current subscription, this isn't what I agreed to pay for.

I can't see them reverting back to the old version now. It's dumbed down for the masses, yet I imagine is mostly used by hardcore fans and F1 geeks who were happy how it was.

Have on the phone, not on the tab. Luckilly.
It's abysmal. It's F1 for dummies.

Lost everything that was useful. Doesn't even seem to handle laptimes correctly anymore.

Back
Top Bottom