Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Transmission breaker
Don
If he was standing a few feet to his left, I think he'd have been toast. That building appears to have been built out of some kind of safety barrier though. Designed to protect against flying tyres, maybe? Either way, that's a lucky escape.

There is a photographer almost right in line with the impact.. watch all the angles.. Incredible. I would be buying a lottery ticket straight away.

One was in the tower to the left of the impact (with a concussion) and the one right in front, who suffered a ruptured liver (very serious, but survivable).

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Looking at that corner I can’t see any better outcome regardless of safety trackside. Always the risk with such a track. Crazy crazy impact.
If that is the case, there should not be access to the tower and equipment should be remotely operated.

Shocking incident.

Soldato
I didn’t think catch fencing was really designed to take a direct perpendicular impact either. It’s more to deflect the cars back into the track at a shalow angle like motorway barriers.

That being said the bulk of the car cleared the fencing?

Even bigger argument for remote equipment in that location.

Soldato
I didn’t think catch fencing was really designed to take a direct perpendicular impact either. It’s more to deflect the cars back into the track at a shalow angle like motorway barriers.

That being said the bulk of the car cleared the fencing?

Even bigger argument for remote equipment in that location.

The catch fencing did supposedly take a lot of the energy out of the crash (as it was designed to). They made it quite a bit taller a few years back. Even that blue kerb that launched her car so it it the car at the apex was probably better that her spearing into the side of another car.

There's a good article here on how lucky she was to survive.

Soldato
I thought catch fencing was designed to catch tyres and bits of body work not whole cars traveling at race speeds.
It wasn't going to stop a car at that sort of angle, no, but it did a lot to slow the car before impact.

The catch-fencing was nearly disastrous in the it start rotating the car, though thankfully it went into the photographers stand rear-first.

Soldato
Did they ever find out why she went into the corner backwards?

It's explained in one of the articles linked upstream. The driver in front slowed for a yellow flag (that might have been a race control mistake), she hit his rear, spun into the wall and took off two of her wheels and was going backwards with no way to brake for the corner after a high speed straight.

Associate
It's explained in one of the articles linked upstream. The driver in front slowed for a yellow flag (that might have been a race control mistake), she hit his rear, spun into the wall and took off two of her wheels and was going backwards with no way to brake for the corner after a high speed straight.

Thanks - I had read a few articles a few days ago but didn't catch the reason.

Man of Honour
Team only need to own the IP. Anyone can build the car, picking an example at complete random... Haas cars are built by Dallara... with as much as possible bought in from Ferrari as well. Hell, their excuse for not having a new floor that complied with the regs is that Dallara couldn't build it in time.

Could be they want the 2 years of Force India's prize money returned to the FOM and then redistributed to the teams, or they want to be paid for their first 2 years of racing. I'll be surprised if this passes on either case. Especially if they want paying for 2016 and 2017, no hope, when they signed the Concorde agreement it states that it takes 2 years to get the Teir 1 cash, they'll get 2018's money in 2019, same as all the other teams.

Of course, it could be that Rich Energy's cheque hasn't cleared. ;)

Back
Top Bottom