Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Associate
I was right about the fastest lap award. What a complete waste of time. A car in the top 10 with a pitstop gap pits, puts on new tyres, sets the fastest time - hardly exciting and since there are battles going on elsewhere we don't even see it.

I assume you're referring to F1. Agreed, I don't think it's a good way of adding any excitement to the race. If I recall correctly, the 2019 fastest laps have only been set by a driver from one of the top 3 teams. Maybe Liberty Media was trying to make a clearer distinction between F1 and F1.5? Gasly is trying hard to blur the line though.

Soldato
What do you lot think of these new WEC regulations for the replacements to the LMP1 prototypes?

Story:
https://www.fiawec.com/en/news/new-2020-hypercar-regulations-approved/6186

Breakdown/TLDR version with pictures:
https://assets.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/courses/2018/fia-wec/fia-wec-regulations-2020.pdf

I think it could be pretty cool having manufacturers hyper cars out there battling it out. Of course it relies on them actually competing/allowing their cars to be purchased to compete.. Has to be ultimate bragging rights though? So hopefully lots of manufacturers get involved.

Soldato
It looks promising, but I suppose the proof of the pudding will be in how many teams get involved, and how competitive it is. The intentions all seem pretty good though so I'm hopeful.

Yeah, i'm guessing they went and spoke to various marques to gauge interest so hopefully that was positive. Got to be better than one team vanishing off into the distance i guess?

Soldato
Sounds like an interesting step and back to GT1 days, hopefully we'll see some road going maniacs to go with them, although I'm trying to work out what benefit there is to making one if you don't need to!

Soldato
The 180Kg engine weight limit seems quite restrictive. The minimum car weight of 1040Kg also seems to make these cars a bit on the 'lardy' side. I still miss the days of big displacement in tiny cars :(

Hopefully there's enough manufacturer interest and the racing is good enough to make up for it.

Soldato
I think I’m right in saying this will be LMP1. At least that’s what I got from the pdf?? I didn’t see anything else about the others being changed. Although I didn’t look to be fair...

Aston Martin have already signed up with the Valkyrie apparently. :cool:

Soldato
Zak Brown has been talking about a McLaren entry to WEC too. (That that with a massive pinch of salt though I guess. They should probably pick a formula and be good at it rather than being meh at loads.)

Soldato
Watching the Nurburgring 24hr when I can at the moment. Love when it gets to the very early morning hours, and the sky starts to move on from black.
Wish I was there this year!

Edit: They just got the Manta back out! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom