1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

I had noticed that some of the people jizzing in their pants about him on Facebook had been decidedly quiet recently. It was constant earlier in the year! "He should be promoted to F1". "He's so great." "I got chills watching him in the Ferrari F1 car." etc etc. I'm pretty sure that stuff doesn't help him whether he pays attention to it or not. Its almost like if you don't equal him, you're trash and that's that. Like with Bruno Senna and probably others over the years. Max is in a fortunate position that Jos wasn't brilliant. :D

2. Ryan-3

Sgarrista

Exactly that. Mick has plenty of time. Damon was never his dad, but still successful in his own right. Both Rosbergs have a single WDC. With his record so far, I doubt Mick will join the likes of Mathias Lauda or Nico Prost as famous surnames that fell by the wayside. Can be like this in all sports, sometimes the genes carry on, sometimes they just don't have the edge.

3. this_is_gav

Soldato

I think he's doing OK. A few mistakes, understandable with everything else around him (Race of Champions, demo drives, testing for Ferrari and Alfa, etc).

I thought this weekend he was good (ironically this was one of Michael's worst tracks). He had a problem with a car in race 1, but even a lap down with no hope and he was on pace with the leaders. Race 2 was obviously compromised by race 1 (starting in 18th) but he was still 0.2s off a podium at the end - had he started near the front he might have been right up there with Sette Camara and Ghiotto.

Let's face it, Norris went off form last year when the McLaren promotion talk started - he didn't look great in the second half of the season, yet he and Russell are looking very good in F1 at the moment (hard to tell with Russell admittedly, but he's doing all he can in beating his teammate).

4. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

Silverstone seems to have signed a deal for another 5 years which is good. :) I really need to get there next year to hear these engines in person before they change for 2021.

5. MrKnifey

Mobster

Rich energy seems to have pulled from HAAS citing poor performance

6. JRS

Capodecina

Blaming it on poor performance from Haas along with...

Link.

I think it's rather more likely that Rich Energy didn't have the money that they'd promised, and this is their inept way of trying to save face :p

7. Spunkey

Capodecina

I hope Steiner comes out with the truth about that deal and drags RE through the dirt. I suspect he has more class than that, though.

8. JRS

Capodecina

Steiner seems to reckon that there's still a contract. I reckon this one will get a bit messy yet.

9. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Autosport stating :
    "Sources have told Autosport that the Tweet was either written or authorised by CEO William Storey, without the knowledge of the drinks firm's investors after an apparent difference of opinion."

Time to grab some popcorn. :D

10. JRS

Capodecina

[​IMG]

11. Steampunk

Soldato

I'm surprised Haas got involved with Rich Energy in the first place. That was a major error of judgement right there, and even the likes of Joe Saward were labelling RE as chancers as soon as they appeared on the F1 scene.

12. Spunkey

Capodecina

It didn't really take Mystic Meg to figure out RE were a bunch of chancers. I would love to know Haas's logic for deciding to go with them, as I can't believe they were the only sponsorship offer. 2 minutes of due diligence would have dredged up Storey's background and seen RE out the door. Ultimately Haas are now about to eat a whole **** buffet of entirely their own making.

13. Zuma

Wise Guy

Well after the news today that the Rich Energy shareholders had taken back control of the company to rescue the Haas deal and sack William Storey, something got posted to the Rich Energy twitter page. And then 10 mins later twitter went down worldwide.

I got a screenshot:

[​IMG]

14. JRS

Capodecina

God, there's just not enough popcorn in the world :D

15. MagicBoy

Capodecina

IIRC all the assets of Rich Energy were declared as about £600 in cash with their last companies house filing.

16. Dup

Sgarrista

I'm embarrassed for HAAS more than anything, they're a legit team with great potential and this sillyness has no place in F1. If I was Gene I'd be finding a way out of their deal pronto.

17. Spunkey

Capodecina

It's also been reported this morning that Whyte Bikes have still not been paid their £35k settlement from Rich Energy and are now seeking legal action to gain assets of RE to the value owed, which would in effect result in RE being shut down.

18. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Rich Energy have until the 18th July to pay the settlement IIRC.

19. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

A shed and an empty can of rich energy.

20. The_Abyss

Capodecina

I think that's going a bit far in respect of Haas. They don't really have great potential beyond a proportion of whatever Ferrari deliver, and as a result they don't really have any realistic ambition to win either championship.

They're there to be a mid-table team.