Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
I don't have anything against Hülkenburg, but he's been a jobbing driver clogging up seats in F1 for years now. I'd much rather see some fresh blood enter the sport than see him stick around.

I like Hulkenburg but I think you’re right, time for someone new. I mean even Perez managed some podiums during a similar length time in F1. (That’s not to say Perez is bad but he’s made more of his F1 opportunity)

Soldato
I hope you're right but my understanding is that they have serious financial problems.

They had a bad year due to loss of sponsorship and prize revenue, and made a big loss, but they do have other sources of revenue and should be capable of weathering the situation up to 2021 and beyond. They're a listed firm, and so can go back to the market to raise more funds if required (and if there's appetite) ETR: WGF1

Soldato
You can only really judge him head to head against his team mates and the stats say Hulk is generally better than them when the car holds together. He's the equal of Perez, and on this years results he's running Ricciardo close who's a proven winner.

Oh and a Le Man 24 hour win.

Caporegime
He's the equal of Perez, and on this years results he's running Ricciardo close who's a proven winner.

In the three seasons 2013-2015, Hülkenberg got more points in two, but Perez landed a podium in all three seasons and Hülkenberg got none. Hülkenberg can bring a car home well but he's not fast.

Ricciardo was beaten by Kvyat too, but while Hülk beat him in the first part of this season, he's been moving steadily ahead as the races go by.

Hülk is decent but unimpressive, and he's had plenty of time to impress.

Oh and a Le Man 24 hour win.

As I said, he's been impressive outside of F1 not in it.

Soldato
Mr Jack said:
I like the Hulk, and think he's a wasted talent, but I have to agree with this. His time has now passed. I don't blame Alfa for sticking with Gio for next year, even though he is the very definition of a forgettable plodder. It's only the Ferrari connection keeping him in the seat.

I thought they were putting Lafiti in Kubica's seat next season?
Yeah, it's all but certain. I think the only stumbling block is how much money Latifi is going to pay.

Soldato
Have to agree. I’d have liked Hulk to get a top seat to see his full potential, but he looks like a fast endurance driver, which makes him a consistent but not a fast F1 driver. He will certainly be a force if he moves to WEC, as he has shown already.

Soldato
In the three seasons 2013-2015, Hülkenberg got more points in two, but Perez landed a podium in all three seasons and Hülkenberg got none. Hülkenberg can bring a car home well but he's not fast.

Ricciardo was beaten by Kvyat too, but while Hülk beat him in the first part of this season, he's been moving steadily ahead as the races go by.

As I said, he's been impressive outside of F1 not in it.

I was aware of the results before I posted. I don't agree with your opinion. This arbitrary point about podium results always gets wheeled out as proof he's underperformed, is slow, can't hack it etc. Hulk hasn't had the chips fall his way and tends to get 4th places by luck or fate (or whatever).

He deserves a go in a decent car that can finish a race fully functional (ie not French).

Soldato
I don't have anything against Hülkenburg, but he's been a jobbing driver clogging up seats in F1 for years now. I'd much rather see some fresh blood enter the sport than see him stick around.

I don't really see why you think that given he is better than Stroll, arguably Perez, Grosjean (probably don't even need to mention). I'd put him slightly above Bottas. Apart from Rubens in Hulks first season, he has beaten every teammate at one stage or another.

Caporegime
I don't really see why you think that given he is better than Stroll, arguably Perez, Grosjean (probably don't even need to mention). I'd put him slightly above Bottas. Apart from Rubens in Hulks first season, he has beaten every teammate at one stage or another.

Well, yeah, I won't be sad to see of those leave either. Perez, I would say, is a bit better than Hülkenburg: at least he lands some podiums but I find it frankly incomprehensible that Grosjean still has a seat.

Caporegime
I like hulk. Pretty much my fav driver. Always a cool head and never lashes out.

I will miss him.

He's probably Bottas level. But why oh why they kept grosjean no one seems to know. Shame, he'd have been good in that haas.
Not convinced ocon will be better.

Caporegime
F1 is boring now even with Hamilton winning his 6th WDC.
Crofty is getting on peoples nerves. The TV producer is rubbish...I could go on.
I don't pay to watch F1 ;)

Neither do I, its really not worth it.
Highlights work well for me, but obviously turns the general audience off.
Or it might just be dying in this country

Back
Top Bottom