1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Stumble Bum

Wise Guy

Alpha Tauri Haas and Williams to all have very similar looking cars this year.... disappointing liveries so far this year.

2. Ninco!

Hitman

I hate the raked stance on F1 cars!

The pressure on Lewis this year will be intensified. Not only the pressure of beating the younger generation; the expectation on beating Michael's records.

You read the usual bravado stories from other drivers and yet they not been in a situation where they are fighting for a WDC.

Lewis drove like a wiley old fox last year, a class act and will continue to hold his own. :)

3. KiNgPiN83

Mobster

If the RB is any good, there will be pressure on Max too as this is his last year to be youngest ever world champion if I remember rightly.

4. The_Abyss

Capodecina

If you actually see them live, then it is quite something. The enhanced rake is rarely seen.

5. Spunkey

Capodecina

It's only really noticeable when they're not moving. As soon as there's any decent downforce they sit level.

6. JBeck

Mobster

Exactly.

This years Williams and RP are nice and colourful, I like them both.

Edit - The image link doesn't work and is not even viewable when I try editing my post, bizarre.
    [​IMG]

7. Flibster

Caporegime

8. Yaayuh!

Capodecina

9. Shimmy

Man of Honour

Opening MotoGP round just got cancelled, wonder if AusGP will follow suit. It's an even bigger operation travel wise..

10. Spunkey

Capodecina

Press release this morning says it's all still going ahead:

https://www.grandprix.com.au/fan-zone/news/all-systems-go-formula-1-rolex-australian-grand-prix-2020

11. MissChief

Capodecina

What’s the bet Honda engineers, Alpha Tauri and Ferrari staff all get temp scanned coming into the circuit or even on arrival at the airport?

If I were Ferrari, Honda and Alpha Tauri I’d be sending all non-essential staff away from the team bases and to Australia now and asking them to self isolate as much as possible. If even one of them catches it then it puts the whole team arrival and entry in jeopardy.

12. hominid

Mobster

A lot can and will happen, especially in Italy, in the week before they need to leave for Australia. Hell, it's even kicking off in the UK now, and it'll be more apparent in a week - F1 could be impacted massively, lots of races possibly cancelled.

13. Psycho Ned

Sgarrista

If the Aus GP doesn't take place I'm not sure when the first round will be!

Bahrain, possible I guess, depending on the next few weeks. Vietnam can't see that happening at all. Chinas already gone. Then we're into May and the European rounds who knows where we'll be by then.

14. deuse

Capodecina

"Vietnam has updated its restrictions on access to its territory for nationals from the countries most severely affected by the coronavirus epidemic, namely China, South Korea, Italy and Iran. Vietnam’s National Tourism Board has stated that a 14-day quarantine (incubation period of the virus) will be imposed on all nationals of the affected countries upon entry:"

"“All travellers entering Vietnam from China, South Korea, Italy and Iran must make medical declarations and undergo a 14-day medical quarantine before entering the country. ”

https://thejudge13.com/2020/03/03/ferrari-alpha-tauri-refused-permission-to-race

Not looking good.

At this rate F1 could go bust.

15. MissChief

Capodecina

if the Italian teams don’t send staff back to Italy after Bahrain they should be OK I think.

16. hominid

Mobster

Didn't the MotoGP just cancel Bahrain? (no it was Qatar and Thailand) : https://www.foxnews.com/auto/motogp-races-cancelled-qatar-thailand-coronavirus

Getting worse everyday.

17. deuse

Capodecina

It would have to be everybody, including the drivers.

18. Flibster

Caporegime

Not just the Italian teams, there's Pirelli as well. Ok, the tyres are made in Turkey, but a lot of the personnel aren't in Turkey.

I can certainly see them running some events without a crowd there.

19. The_Abyss

Capodecina

They could go full e Sports for this season. After all, that's where most under 25s probably watch Verstappen and Norris.

Only they don't pay for the subscription. Or buy cars. Or Rolexes. Their parents do.

:)

20. this_is_gav

Soldato

That's half of F1's problem in the UK right there. Sky Sports F1 in particular is like an old mans smoking club. There's no exclusivity or anything, just a bunch of doddery old men who don't really do or say much. The only saviours are Karun Chandock and Ted Kravitz. Even Brundle is a shadow of his former self.

Johnny Herbert especially is an abomination of a pundit. Considering his vast experience across a multitude of motorsport disciplines he provides absolutely nothing in the way of in depth knowledge or insight, instead resorting to trying to be a clown and putting in the odd cheap shot. And don't get me started on his commentary in F2 races where he doesn't even know half the names (Jack Russell anyone?). Fancy cutting Davide Valsecchi's commentary duties (one of the most fun and exciting commentators for years) only to get Herbert in!

Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching 1980s and 90s F1 and watching the likes of Hill, Brundle and Herbert, but the English-language side of F1 can provide far more than what we've got now.

I bet there will still be random shots of the (empty) grandstands just as the action peaks!