1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Mr Jack

Capodecina

2. JRS

Capodecina

Not a shame. It's gimmicky and has no place in the alleged pinnacle of motorsport.

3. GravyMonster

Capodecina

Entirely this. DRS is bad enough, we don't need more gimmicks to 'improve the show'.

4. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I wouldn't support full points reverse grid races, but as an alternative qualifying format? I think it'd be interesting to see, give a bit more interest to the double-headers, and the strangeness of this year's season is the perfect opportunity to try some things that wouldn't normally be done.

5. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I would say that the functional effect of a reverse grid qualifying would be almost exactly the opposite of DRS. DRS functions to let faster cars breeze past slower cars without needing to make a skilful overtake, and damages the sport by letting it ignore the more fundamental problem causing a lack of overtakes in the first place. Reverse grid qualifying rewards drivers who have the skill to make their way cleanly through the field and punishes those that don't.

6. Armageus

Don

"Pinnacle of motorsport" isn't compatible with "entertainment" though for many (myself included). I'd rather have a "race" full of entertainment, rather than be bored to sleep as things have been for the last however many seasons.

I'd agree with this - whilst certainly not the "pinnacle of motorsport", reverse grids work well in BTCC.

7. JRS

Capodecina

Well, if we're going to go ahead and admit that F1 is merely an entertainment franchise and is no longer the sport of Grand Prix motor racing...

8. this_is_gav

Soldato

I can see Mercedes' issue. While Hamilton can be pretty good at coming through the field, his car isn't always. And these cars are certainly not ideal for reverse grids.

Still, given how disrupted and almost certainly shorter this season is I wouldn't mind something a bit more interesting to watch, but strictly for this season only.

While F1 is technically the pinnacle of motorsport there have been loads of gimmicks over the years and not just in recent years. I'm a stickler for tradition in sport, but sometimes you do need to do things a bit different to give something back to the fans in unprecedented cases like this.

They could do non-championship reverse grid races before or after the proper race or instead of a practice session to give us something extra. Or a midweek race for those events where they're staying at the circuit for two weekends in a row.

9. UTmaniac

Soldato

10. JRS

Capodecina

Suzuka is the only thing of any value being lost there.

11. Ninco!

Wise Guy

Reverse grids for F1, I struggle to get my head around how this would work without shenanigans. I just think it would be a sad state of affairs.

Bring back races where the F1 drivers all compete in a one marque* race as part of the weekend, winner gets points which count towards the championship, that would drum up interest.

Failing that; manual boxes :D

* The best BTCC support race was when the Mini classic race happened during a weekend a couple of years ago. Ginetta Junior races are ace!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  12. this_is_gav

Soldato

It seems Imola has had it's Grade 1 classification renewed, so the possibility of going back there has been heightened. I prefer the idea of Mugello hosting a race, but so long as Imola, Hockenheim or Mugello means one less race in Russia (ideally two fewer races) in Russia, then all of them have my backing!

Bahrain has been muted as using two different layouts if they go there... with Ross Brawn touting a possible use of the ultra-fast outer circuit as one of the potential layouts. Basically turn one (or the faster alternative), turn 4, a few gradually tightening sweepers then the last 2.5 corners of the usual track. I have to say I really want to to see it happen! It would be so boring to do two races on identical circuits, and that would be about as different as two races could get. Go on F1, be brave for once.

Ginetta Juniors are excellent, and a highlight of a BTCC weekend, but it's not because of the cars, it's because of the eagerness and inexperience of the drivers. Well, that and a slipstream makes a big and prolonged difference to cars with so little power.

13. vanpeebles

Soldato

From now on, we are brothers!

14. Ninco!

Wise Guy

*raises glass* :D

@this_is_gav I agree, different Bahrain layouts would certainly spice things up, Mugello or Imola and given limited live sport at the moment, this season & shorter calendar will have record viewers!

Ginetta Junior's - Thruxton pure slipstreaming, always delivers.

15. vanpeebles

Soldato

Quite often I loved the junior racing more than the BTCC. Proper fearless and moves going on arl ower. If you search on here, I mentioned the mini race at the time :D

16. chrismscotland

Mobster

17. hominid

Mobster

He's in a bad way by all accounts, he's had cranial/maxilofacial surgery.. :(

18. Flibster

Caporegime

What the actual ****!?!?

Just checking, it's still 2020 right? Not gone back to 1950?

19. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

The whole situation has just brought out the worst in a lot of people.

20. Flibster

Caporegime