1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, Jan 2, 2012.

1. NightSt@lk3r

Sgarrista

Turns out the "noose" was a garage door pull cord that had been there for at least a year.

2. englishpremier

Soldato

Now where are all the Twitter posts in solidarity with the pull cord. The rallies and gatherings.

3. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Oops. How did no-one realise this sooner?

4. Steampunk

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

The fact is that people are in a feeding frenzy, so a normal sense of perspective has gone out the window. By reacting this way, Bubba Wallace has brought Nascar into disrepute, and people are only going to remember the story of the "noose", not the resolution that showed how everyone involved in Nascar is not actually a racist POS, and how Bubba overreacted in the rush to find something to be victimised by.

This sort of "crying wolf" does no favours to people who suffer genuine racism, and demeans the struggle of those who have had to deal with it and those who have fought to make their little part of the world a better place.

5. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I doubt this will get the same press coverage. It amazes me how quick we are to jump to conclusions.

6. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

7. this_is_gav

Soldato

Remember Lewis Hamilton recently jumped the gun in making s statement criticising Helmet Marko over an article attributed to him which was fake. Not on the same scale, but easy to do.

Wallace himself never saw the noose in person and didn't say all that much on the matter either. NASCAR itself rushed to a conclusion and they were the leading voice of disgust (rightly, if only morally).

Frankly if it looked like a noose and those in other garages didn't, then I can understand the initial outcry, given the issues in America and elsewhere at the moment. If every garage's pull cord was the same then it's stupid to have ropes fashioned like nooses, but obviously NASCAR will look idiotic themselves too.

To be honest, it's not been a total catastrophe. It's further endorsement of NASCAR's (public at least) relatively fresh approach in opening up to minorities, much to the fury of some of their supposed hardcore fans. NASCAR is still a very, very southern sport and its local fans have a reputation for being notoriously closed in their acceptance of anyone who doesn't fall within their exact beliefs. It's good that NASCAR has again stood up against those voices so there is that.

Plenty will remember the Top Gear episode where they painted their cars with slogans designed to upset the southern locals - "Country and Western is Rubbish", "NASCAR sucks" and "I'm bi". Obviously Top Gear is hardly a worthy reference, but it did show just how deeply rooted the issues are in NASCAR's core demographic and it was good to see NASCAR, fellow teams and fans rally behind Wallace, albeit for something which turned out to be apparently innocent.

8. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

Whts gone wrong there? By the sounds of it the road car division has tanked the whole group? I guess the F1 team hasn’t exactly helped recently either.

9. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I suspect they'll split the two divisions. I thought the group had crazy amounts of money coming in from the middle east, but I guess they got bored of losing money?

10. b0rn2sk8

Soldato

I don’t doubt they have split them into separate companies under one holding company but how they have structured things like loans and assets around it has a huge impact.

It’s well known that inter group loans from one division to another can take the whole lot if one goes under.

Either way it sounds like a right mess over there.

11. Steampunk

Sgarrista

The problem with McLaren is they've been doing very poorly on the track for the last few year (less F1 income) and rich people who can afford their road cars don't buy them in a pandemic if they can't go out shopping for cars and then driving them around. McLaren have a lot of debt from having to buy out Ron Dennis, and the shutdown of F1 has happened just when they need an income and cash flow to run the team, road cars, and service their debts.

Now they are trying to get loans on the same assets twice, hence going to court. They people who hold the historic cars as collateral for the first loan are miffed at McLaren effectively trying to sell them again to someone else as collateral for a second loan.

The debtors might be willing to make a deal rather than see McLaren (and their money) go down the drain, but if they see it as throwing good money after bad, they might prefer to see McLaren go down, pick over the bones of the company, and get their money back by selling the historic cars and other assets they would be left with in the event of a McLaren bankruptcy.

12. Mr Jack

Capodecina

My guess, is that someone had tied up the cord in the way that leaves a loop hanging at the end, and the rope coiled above it rather than it actually being tied in a noose. Someone saw it and hastily overreacted. There's apparently video showing that it was there in 2019 so perhaps it will come to light.

Yeah, making the mistake looks foolish, but overall I think NASCAR come of this looking good: they reacted correctly to the situation as they thought it was.

13. Steampunk

Sgarrista

In most situations, it's better to check the facts and then react correctly, instead of a knee-jerk response that's the wrong thing to do because you didn't find the facts and reality of a situation first.

14. hominid

Mobster

It's all about virtue-signalling these days.. Report a noose, give the guy a parade quick to placate anticipated mob influx - it would only take less than 10 seconds to see that it was not a noose.

They are making things up to try to keep racial tensions high, I think, in the hope that some loon white, or black, supremacist goes postal. Even after it's been proven false the media, mainly CNN and MSNBC, are still pushing it as truth. Bubba is still trying to carry it on even though it's been 100% discounted, people are idiots.

It's Smollett 2.0. The media are pushing the narrative instead of just reporting, the constant barrage of crap day after day just doesn't stop - it feels like the world has gone to pot over the last few months and will continue the downward spiral.

15. 413x

Capodecina

Wonder how good the racing point "cough" old merc "cough" will be?

It will surely scoop up 4th at the least! Maybe even 3rd.

I know it's within the rules , but it's tough for likes of the independent mid field

Prize money for 4th
    -
    (Car costs from buying merc 2019 car
    + team costs and drivers etc)

= profit?

If so, proceed!

16. this_is_gav

Soldato

Probably, but it's rarely that simple. They might be fourth fastest, but Williams were faster than Red Bull for much of 2014, and more reliable, and they still finished 85 points behind them in the championship.

The teams with better resources will often have the strategy and nous to overcome sheer speed. Someone should remind Ferrari of that.

17. JRS

Capodecina

Regarding the NASCAR noose debacle:

It does look a little bit noose-y. I think the crew member who reported it could be forgiven for thinking that it was tied like that as a statement.

18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Yeah, 100% reasonable to think that was tied as a noose and when it happens to be present only in the garage of the one black guy...

19. Flibster

Caporegime

There's a sort of noosey theme to it.

20. englishpremier

Soldato

They don't have a Merc car though since aero can't be shared. All they can do is try their best to copy those bits. A bit like Haas, that haven't been particularly quick other than on one or two occasions.

And if another midfield team can't beat a 1 year old car design, then they deserve what they get.