Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
I've read through the judgement and it all seems fair and reasonable to my eye (for all that means!). The reasoning applied to the Front Ducts seems legitimate - they are a continuation of the ducts taken from Mercedes but run on the 2019 RP car - and the argument that this does not apply to the Rear Ducts - because the 2019 RP Rear Ducts weren't based on the Mercedes' design - also seems legitimate. The penalty also seems fairly fitting for the infraction.

It's also interesting that they are permitting the ducts to be run for the rest of the season.

Soldato
It is said Spain is reaching critical situation with the latest COVID outbreak. At the moment it's at 5000 new cases a day. By the time of the F1 Catalonia GP it could easily be double that or higher. I do wonder now if it will go ahead, and if so, how many in the F1 circus are will be exposed.

Don
Don't they travel in their own bubble? Presumably come into contact with very few if any locals.

There will absolutely have to be some locals though, for hospitality and catering. Catalonia is a massive heat-spot in Spain right now too, but I guess the teams must already be arriving on site so they must be assuming it goes ahead.

Soldato
Suspect most of the teams would have been there by late Monday, early Tuesday with the trucks etc. I saw the Hitech F2 going to Portsmouth Ferry port on my way home Sunday evening at 7pm. Anybody going into the circuit is covid free anyway, so I'm sure they will be fine and on an even higher alert due to the local issues going on.

Soldato
Why do you feel it's a step back? I think other than in the wet, having the engines run in a consistent mode makes a lot of sense. No more Bottas is saving he engine, and Lewis ignore calls to do the same so he can attack him (made up example), or no more special qualy modes. Makes perfect sense.

Man of Honour
I will laugh if Mercedes end up with an even bigger lead. Their chassis is formidable now.

Why do you feel it's a step back? I think other than in the wet, having the engines run in a consistent mode makes a lot of sense. No more Bottas is saving he engine, and Lewis ignore calls to do the same so he can attack him (made up example), or no more special qualy modes. Makes perfect sense.

Half way through a season with no development time. It’s ludicrous. Why now after all these years?

I’m getting really tired of F1 and the FIAs constant meddling, changing decisions, shady deals.

Soldato

Yep, I like the idea of running in a consistent mode. No doubt teams will push the limit.

Soldato

What happens when Mercedes still ends up being the fastest and most reliable? You could end up with other cars either being very slow, or exploding their engines. This sort of knee-jerk mid-season change is the sort of thing we've seen the FIA do regularly, and it never works as expected because it's rushed and not thought out.

It's not going to look good if we end up with Mercedes lapping everyone twice.

Back
Top Bottom