1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Shimmy, 2 Jan 2012.

1. MissChief

Capodecina

Yay quote wars.

2. Scam

Capodecina

Oh he's just proving my point on why I really hope LH wins the 8th. Because people like that can grump in the corner of the pub to anyone that will listen for 3hrs straight on why XXXX driver is actually the best that ever lived because they did one lap one time at Monza and nearly died but didn't and then overtook Senna and Schumacher on an impossible corner when the engine was turned down and they had 3 wheels and no brakes and a pink helmet... or some such nonsense. Aaaaaand everyone else will just go "yeah but LH won 8 championships so what are you on about?"

Seriously, let's just celebrate we're witnessing one-of-the* greatest ever drivers in the sport, in our lifetime. And he's British. And has come from nothing, relative to the millionaires that take up all of the other drives. So let's enjoy it rather than trying to come up with every convoluted idea on why some other driver has beaten him on some minor stat that's more suited to the sport of the 1970s.

*See, I even put "one of the" to keep the deniers happy ;)

3. this_is_gav

Soldato

I think we can all agree he one of the greatest.

As for being British I'm not that closed minded. I like plenty of British F1 drivers and I'm more likely to be a fan of theirs if they're British, but they don't have to be British for me to like or appreciate them. I'm not really a fan of anyone in particular anymore to be honest.

4. Emlyn_Dewar

Capodecina

Scam. People like you are the reason everyone has to counter with all this rubbish.
    You're completely blinkered. Offended if someone doesn't share your view. And also not super smart apparently.

5. Scam

Capodecina

lol ok calm down deary, that's quite a jump there :rolleyes: I'm not offended by anyone... It's people like you, JRS and gav that puts everyone off the sport. Trying to give lectures about learning the intricate history of the sport before you're allowed an opinion, honestly get over yourselves...

6. Emlyn_Dewar

Capodecina

You’re absolutely right, it’s everyone else that’s the problem. Not you.

7. JRS

Capodecina

@Scam - love you too snookums :)

8. El_Watcher

Mobster

Having an opinion is different to pushing your opinion as fact that everyone should agree with.

9. Scam

Capodecina

All I've said is that he's the best driver that the sport has ever seen. Statistically, that's true. If people don't like that, it's not my problem!

10. UTmaniac

Soldato

Aston Martin have found Martin Whitmarsh hiding under a rock! :eek:

11. EVH

Don

12. SKILL

Soldato

Glorious, if anyone knows how to drive a team further into mediocrity it's Whitmarsh, can't wait :D

13. steve45

Mobster

:cry: it's harsh but I was thinking the same. He didn't exactly leave McLaren in a good place, I feel like he lacked leadership and direction. But then he's not taking up position as TP so it might very well work out for him.

14. JRS

Capodecina

15. Stumble Bum

Mobster

Looking at the flooded Sochi track and the weekend rain forecast, we're on course for another Spa race. :eek:

16. this_is_gav

Soldato

They were going far slower then. The cornering speeds were so slow in the rain and the worst spray was on the straights. That said, we had plenty spinning off on the straights too (at Barcelona), so maybe not!

Personally I never want to see another car sliding across the track at right angles to cars approaching at 160mph+, like Raikkonen at Interlagos in 2016. The Vettel spin beforehand scared the bejesus out of me even more, as when he was rejoining you could see from the higher on-board camera that another ball of spray was approaching over the blind crest. The camera cut away and I was certain the next shot would have been utterly destroyed cars and who knows what else.

17. EVH

Don

The one that sticks in my mind was Raikkonen (for McLaren) at Spa. Flying up Eau Rouge in to a cloud of smoke without lifting :eek:

18. Stumble Bum

Mobster

19. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Wonder how many immigrant labourers died during track construction?

20. Flibster

Caporegime

I wonder how the 'We race as one' initiative will go down there?