Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
End of the road for Ricciardo then? Did they ever publicly back him? I thought it was just his own social media post that said “I’m not going anywhere “.

What a cluster..
I'm sure they both said they'd like to and would be continuing next season but what's said in public and what's said in private can and often is very different in F1.

Caporegime
Okay, how about a crazy theory:

Mark Webber is associated with Porsche, has been a brand ambassador since 2016 and the last thing he tweeted was about Porsche taking a stake in Red Bull. Mark Webber is also Piastri's manager.

It's not Ricciardo's seat at McLaren that Piastri is taking; it's Pérez's seat at Red Bull.

Man of Honour

Mark Webber is associated with Porsche, has been a brand ambassador since 2016 and the last thing he tweeted was about Porsche taking a stake in Red Bull. Mark Webber is also Piastri's manager.

It's not Ricciardo's seat at McLaren that Piastri is taking; it's Pérez's seat at Red Bull.

Possible but would Red Bull really ignore their own juniors again? Starts to make their own programme look worthless if they don't at least consider Hauger, Lawson, etc - I don't think they would put even Piastri straight into a Red Bull seat either, its just not their style not to put their juniors into AT first in recent years.

Summer break should be interesting though, I expect we should have almost all of the grid nailed down by the time we hit the track at Spa in just over 3 weeks time.

I do have suspicions that there's more going on at Alpine than meets the eye, Alonso going, Piastri looking to have chosen elsewhere, Prost left because he couldn't work with the new CEO (Rossi) - for a team that's 4th in the table and performing well they're making a Ferrari scale arse of this, I can't blame anyone for looking at McLaren, their car might not have been quite there this year but they're nothing but professional.

Soldato

Hasn't Perez got a deal until the end of 2024 to drive at Red Bull? Unless it's for the parent organisation and they could bump him down to Alpha Tauri or let him go completely? Doesn't make sense to me. Max needs a solid wingman to help take points off rivals to help him win titles. Piastri might be good but it's a big risk. Piastri to partner Norris at McLaren whilst they are still trying to improve and challenge for race wins makes more sense to me.

Soldato
Pérez had a deal to drive with Aston in 2021, Ricciardo has a deal to drive with McLaren in 2023. We've all seen how these deals can be broken when the teams and/or drivers want.
Fair point. I just can't see why Red Bull would drop a proven race winner and support act to Max for someone who, although has a lot of potential, is an unknown in F1 cars. Perez knows Max is the favoured son. I can't see Piastri signing up to be Max's teammate on the proviso that he helps Max win titles.

Associate
Arguably the best F1 season in some time ( last years drama aside) also gives us the best silly season in a long time also. Did they change the silly season to ground effect as well ?

Even r/formuladank on reddit has briefly forgotten how much they hate Lewis, page after page of classic memes

Back
Top Bottom