Motorway Services

Man of Honour
Was there not supposed to be a government review into these a while back? What was the outcome?

We get completely ripped off for everything at Motorway Services - from petrol at 10p a litre above the price everywhere else to ridiculously priced food. Called in at Gordano Services to grab a drink in the middle of taking an HOUR to get through the M5 Roadworks and was suprised to find Burger King charge £1.90 for the same coke that costs £1.19 on the high street. But its not just them - EVERYTHING at motorway services is price inflated to the point where its pretty much taking the mick.

Now, business sense is charge what you can get away with so from a business point of view the prices are understandable. However, MSA's are operated under license from our friends at the Government - they should regulate this sort of stuff.

No wonder people drive tired, why not risk driving for 5 hours straight when if you pull off for a coffee you'll get raped £3 for it?

In Australia every Motorway services I went to had food at normal prices and petrol CHEAPER than city centre petrol stations.

Why can't we manage?

Ah well, I've now loaded my car up with £50 notes, hopefully this should get me a couple of Coffees and a donut on the M1 :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
OP
Interestingly McDonalds charge high street prices in the Motorway Service Areas.

But McDonalds is a bit meh and is outnumbered 5 to 1 on the Motorway by BK.

Had a BK on the M3 a few weeks ago.

£7.99.

Yes, £8!

Soldato
Couldn't agree more with you Fox. Yet, everytime I need to pee on the M4 the services are so crowded that I just can't be bothered. People don't seem to mind being raped?!

I thought £2.45 for a bag of wine gums was a particularly special price.

Soldato
Its the same with petrol stations, have a 1 million pound coffee sir and what about some chocolate on special offer, 2 bars for only £1.50!

I just fuel up and go if I have to stop.

Soldato
There is an excellent book called "off the motorway" I believe (I have a copy, but vannot remember it's full title).
It lists all the places for food etc that are off the motorway networks, but not so far into towns you get lost etc.
For example it lists all the Tesco stores that are "just off" the motorway etc.

Excellent book - means we can always avoid motorway services.

Soldato
Laws of supply and demand. People have little choice to go anywhere else on a motorway (unless you were sensible and packed a lunch), and so demand is high, meaning prices can go up with little change in sales, generating more revenue and profit.

Soldato
There is an excellent book called "off the motorway" I believe (I have a copy, but vannot remember it's full title).
It lists all the places for food etc that are off the motorway networks, but not so far into towns you get lost etc.

http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/

Soldato

Theres also a set of TomTom nav point you can download that show recommended places to get food/fuel without having to detour off your motorway routes by much.

Soldato
I know the cost of petrol was reviewed. Most seem to be sensible, 106, 105 a litre near me (M27, M3). It's the cost of everything else now. £10 for a piece of bacon, hash brown, one sausage and some beans!

Soldato
I stopped in some services on the M6 on Sunday on my way back from airsofting and was shocked at the prices in burger, an XL bacon double cheeseburger meal cost me £6.99! Still bought it and enjoyed it though! :D

Man of Honour
OP
Laws of supply and demand. People have little choice to go anywhere else on a motorway (unless you were sensible and packed a lunch), and so demand is high, meaning prices can go up with little change in sales, generating more revenue and profit.

This is fine normally but MSA's are there for reasons of driver safety - they are licensed by the government and MSA operators have to adhere to certain rules. Why not taking the mick on pricing is not a rule I've no idea.

This is one area where state intervention would be beneficial to society as a whole. The companies operating these MSA's didn't even pay for the construction costs..

We've already had one person in this thread who says he'll do regular 5-6 hour trips WITHOUT A BREAK because he hates getting ripped off at MSA's. Given the existence of the MSA is to ensure all drivers take regular breaks, are they not failing?

Sure, Rover416i is being wreckless and frankly pricing is no excuse for not having a break but there are millions of people like him - perhaps they'd not drive quite so tired if they could pick up a coffee for highstreet prices or perhaps schedule a re-fuel at regular prices?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14987107 said:
Sure, Rover416i is being wreckless and frankly pricing is no excuse for not having a break but there are millions of people like him - perhaps they'd not drive quite so tired if they could pick up a coffee for highstreet prices or perhaps schedule a re-fuel at regular prices?

Went to Cornwall last weekend.

Stopped at Exeter services for a wee, thought would fuel up at 113.9ppl gave it a miss.

Arrived at Bodmin, Asda there was 103.9ppl......

As I drive a lot for work, I would probably stop and use the services if the prices weren't such a joke.

Soldato
you can still take a break without buying anything (and I often do). Just stopping and having a walk around the grassed bits perks me up no end (watch out for dog turd though!)

Soldato
I actively avoid motorway service stations too - the new Extra on the M40 is absolutely huge and quite nice but the prices are :eek:

I walked past the Starbucks and considered getting a drink but then decided I was fine when I saw the price list!

Back
Top Bottom