Motorway speed limit increase to 80mph by 2013

Caporegime
Sky Twitter said:
Sky sources: Government intends to increase speed limit on motorways from 70mph to 80mph by 2013

Is it me or do I seem to remember that fatalities increase in countries where the speed limit has been raised? If so, why are they planning this?

Not sure it will mean much though seeing as a lot of people already drive at that speed...

Soldato
Their doing it all wrong :( make it a 90 maximum and introduce more variable limits weather and traffic dependant

Soldato
It'll mean that more people drive nearer 90 that currently drive nearer 80.

I don't see a problem with it but then I haven't seen the stats.

I'm a little surprised however since efficiency goes down as the speed goes up and the govt are doing a lot to try and get people to be more green.

EDIT: also if the police stick to the 10% +2mph thing then 90mph will almost certainly be the norm. Could be interesting for those that push it another 5-10 and then get snapped doing over a ton.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bad idea IMO, for every person capable of driving safely at those speeds you have another 10 complete muppets who shouldn't be in control of a car or driving cars not entirely safe at those speeds, and your gonna push the speeds people are actually doing much closer to 100mph.

Man of Honour
It isn't going to happen, this comes up most years, it's just like driving age increase.

Soldato
Teach people how to use lanes and mirrors on a motorway before letting them drive that quick tbh...
Really think motorway driving should be part of the driving test, or atleast have it enforced to do a lesson on it.

Soldato
It isn't going to happen, this comes up most years, it's just like driving age increase.
Unfortunately I think it really is. Announcement coming at Tory conference.

IMHO this is a super dumb idea. Anyone who's got somewhere to be in a hurry drives at 80 anyway so the boosting the economy argument is vacuous.

Surely there must be some kind of ulterior motive - there isn't enough trafpol to enforce this properly so must be some kind of attempt to get a mandate for nationwide speed cameras on motorways.

Soldato
Surely there must be some kind of ulterior motive - there isn't enough trafpol to enforce this properly so must be some kind of attempt to get a mandate for nationwide speed cameras on motorways.

The Guardian article suggested that the Tories wanted to be friendly with motorists after successive govts have appeared keen to discourage driving.

I wouldn't be surprised though if they did use it to put specs (or whatever they are called) cameras everywhere as part of the bargain. Essentially everyone still drives as fast as they ever did but the govt. generates more revenue from those that go faster.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no need to do this. As the BBC point out, nearly half of people flout the law anyway.

Now building more motorways and A-roads, that's what we motorists really want.

Don
It won't happen. No way will the road-safety lobby and "brake" let it get through.
Someone will wheel out some stats about how a child crossing the motorway is 1% more likely to die when hit at 80 rather than 70.

Soldato
Humm. Interesting response on here. What would the response be if the plan was to lower the limit? Is everything "just right" where it is?

Personally I think an 80mph limit is sensible, but one that is actually enforced. Everyone only flouts the 70mph limit because it's not really enforced. Put 80mph signs up on motorways and snap everyone going 88+ or whatever.

Soldato
'Bout ****ing time, it should be unrestricted on the motorway, people will drive at whatever speed they feel comfortable at. I just people to realise that they don't need to drive in the middle lane all day, nevermind the fact its illegal, it just encourages undertaking

Soldato
80mph would be good - far too many ridiculous slow limits at the other end of the scale so lets speed the motorways up a bit. Maybe have a fast lane with higher speed and the slower folks can tush along at whatever rate they fancy.

Soldato
Make a minimum speed limit of 55. Ive had for too many close run in's at night with clapped out old vehicles struggling to get to safe speeds.

Also if the limit is raised to 80, motorways should be a part of the driving course, like an add on after you pass your test

Soldato
What worries me is the amount of ill maintained cars on the road. There are so many tin cans which are pushing it safety wise at 70mph let alone 90mph.

Soldato
Seems a sensible idea, the majority of people seem to drive around 70-80mph on the motorways and I don't think it will end up with people driving around at 90mph everywhere as, to me anyway, once you start to get above 80mph it definitely feels 'fast' compared to 70-80.

Same as here, the limit is 65 technically on the freeways but everyone drives at around 75ish and the CHP will happily drive along with traffic doing 75 without batting an eyelid - it seems that is a 'natural' speed that a lot of people are content doing.

Soldato
"Increasing the motorway speed limit to 80mph would generate economic benefits of hundreds of millions of pounds through shorter journey times."

I doubt it, I'd probably drive at the same speed I do now and I imagine most other people probably would.

It's a bit of a waste of time and money though really - lets spend a year having a consultation on something everyone does anyway and will still do regardless of your outcome - just make it 80 and be done with it, it will make virtually no real world difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom