Movies that explain ww1 and ww2

Permabanned
I play so many video games but reality is i dont know much about these wars.

Can you recommend a good documentary or an exciting movie that sums up

why the war started
the main aspects of the wars (eg, japan invasion, africa, pearl harbour..etc)
How the wars were won.

cheers

Associate
I think you could find the answers to those questions just from people or reading.. I don't think any films really cover the whole thing like that..

I've never really known about Africa though, except a few levels on the old CoD's.. No idea about the history of it mind. So will be interesting to see further replies.

Permabanned
OP
cool ill just search online for info best idea.

As for Africa yeh I have no idea? Maybe Germany invaded africa but why? I will soon fidn out.

Vientam war was because north Vientam tried to take over S.veitnam after France gave s.veitnam back to the vietnamese I think?

SO america tried to stop n.veitnam taking over s.veitnam. why I have no idea? And why not france sotp them?

So I beleive. I dont know 100% if thats right and why?

Caporegime
Pearl Harbour and Inglorious ********.

Or you could try reading a book.

Erm... not Inglorious ******** that's for sure...

:D

Inglorious ******** wasn't a serious film :p

Pearl Harbour is a truly awful, horrible piece of film making. Properly terrible in almost every way, it offended my eyes and just about every other part of me it was that bad.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

Here are some ww2 classics:
The Big Red One
Cross of Iron
Stalingrad
Downfall
Das Boot

Soldato
If you want some of the historical ins and outs of how things happened, from a vaguely accurate and historical perspective, Tora, Tora, Tora is a very good explanation of the whole Pearl Harbour bit, and how America came to join the war.

Soldato
Nat Geo or was it the Military channel or was is Discovery? Well any way they recently done a series on ww2, was called something like ww2 in colour and HD, lots of unseen footage..............yeah, here you go http://www.yourdiscovery.com/web/world-war-2/ww2-in-colour-hd/ was a good series, will be around the internet somewhere to download im sure.

Also in shops you will see lots of box sets of ww2 or the pacific, they are pretty good and cheap.

Soldato
Saving Private Ryan, though annoying, does cover the normandy landing rather well.
Das Boot, the ultimate submarine film (best to watch original full length german).
Letters from Iwo Jima.
Enemy at the Gates.

As for stuff about the origins of the wars, then you'll need to look to more history channel type of stuff, as that was political and not exactly film worthy.

If you were to watch one film that would change a lot of opinions, it is das boot, in the dark, with the sound turned up a bit..

ALAAAARRRRRRRMMMM!!!!

Caporegime
I wouldn't watch any Hollywood film.

As mentioned check out the History channel or one of the other ones like it for the decent stuff.

World at War is a fantastic program.

Can I just ask how old are you? Only reason I ask is if you are school age I find it pretty sad that they do not teach this kind of stuff in school anymore, heck this is pretty much what I learnt in history about 16-17 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom