Moving 2 x 3TB drives into enclosure for Plex

Associate
Hi

Currently I have my plex server running on my main PC with 2 x 3TB drives for storage. The drives are only for plex and a few backups.

I'm getting a Intel NUC to use as a standalone plex server but not sure how to move the 2 storage drives. My main reason for the NUC is I can feel happy leaving it on 24/7.

If I move the 2 drives into an enclosure, will I lose what's on them? Currently I use stablebit drivepool to combine the 2 drives, but I think I've enough empty space to remove them (assuming it doesn't delete the data).

To the enclosure, should I go NAS or USB3.1? Any recommended enclosures? I'll need a 2 bay obviously.

Thanks

Andy

Associate
OP
Because a NAS capable of multiple 4k streams is going to be far more than a 7th gen i5 MUC with 16GB ram? Also I may be using it for other things like hosting an Assetto Corsa server and streaming.

Soldato
I use a unRAID on a Dell T20 server for this. Xeon based, small, quiet, low power consumption, internal drive bays.

The T20 has now been replaced by the T30. They aren't as cheap as they once were but you're still looking at less cost than a NUC + NAS combination.

If you're moving drives it's best to assume that all of the data will be lost.

Back
Top Bottom