Moving a watercooled rig

Soldato
How dodgy is this?

What i'm getting at is essentially I only have the room to build a PC downstairs, then haul it upstairs to wire it in and power it up.

Now I figure with something like the Corsair Hydro closed loop systems, this won't really be a problem but if I was to get a 'real' watercooling setup like the OcUK V8 kit and install that, am I going to cause myself problems moving it about? Will the reservoir spill etc. or are they totally sealed systems once filled? Am I likely to get air all through the system and need to spend 6 hours bleeding it every time I might want to move it?

Soldato
I build my computers in the garage (more like a workshop really) and then carry them upstairs to my room - totally fine

I do all the leak testing and everything in the garage so it doesnt stain the carpets (or my life wouldnt be worth living :p)

I am going to have an even bigger problem in a month or so when i need to move flat and ill be moving my watercooled rig ~200 miles :eek::eek::eek:

Soldato
No real risk mate just carrying it up the stairs at all (other than your back :D).

My 900d has been on a couple of car journeys with me and the worst I've had happen was some air got back into the inlet pipe rocked the case and cycled the pump and its good to go again :)

Only thing I will say is make sure everything is screwed in properly a falling rad is going to cause a lot more damage than a leak in transport.

With my old comp when I moved house I packed any parts that could come lose/wobble (tube res/pump) with kitchen roll to stop them moving.

You'll be fine :)

Soldato
My 900d has been on a couple of car journeys with me and the worst I've had happen was some air got back into the inlet pipe rocked the case and cycled the pump and its good to go again :)

Only thing I will say is make sure everything is screwed in properly a falling rad is going to cause a lot more damage than a leak in transport.

Im thinking of making sure of all the fittings and make sure it is all secure

then put it in the original case box for transportation

making sure to always keep it in the same orientation

Soldato
That surely would be fine :)

My mistake was to put the case on its side thinking it will be more secure but in an upright position would probably be best. If that didn't work we'd all be bleeding our loops constantly without moving them :(

Soldato
Mine's done a few journeys on the back seat with no problems. In fact, it's less worrying than it was when I had big air coolers on CPU/GPU (had to lay the case flat in the boot with those). Heavier now though :D

Soldato
Mine's done a few journeys on the back seat with no problems. In fact, it's less worrying than it was when I had big air coolers on CPU/GPU (had to lay the case flat in the boot with those). Heavier now though :D

Indeed air coolers are scary. To think all of that weight hanging from the mobo :(

Driving with the love of your life in the back seat does make you drive much more carefully though :) (the misses is not impressed by that fact :D)

Soldato
I always put a duvet down to line the boot then lower the rig onto that, never had a problem with big air towers and now my W/C setup.

Obviously you loop has to be completely self contained!

In actual fact when I moved my rig home it helped bleed more air out the rad as the res level had gone down, initially thought it had leaked!(shaking a 700D around on a table to bleed it is heavy work!)

Back
Top Bottom