Moving from one nvme drive to another

Soldato
Hi all,
I currently have a 500gb nvme drive that is my OS drive. I have a 1tb nvme drive on the way that I want to replace my current 500gb one with.

I only have 1 m2 slot on my motherboard so I can't have both plugged in at the same time unfortunately. With that in mind, what is the easiest way for me to move drives without having to reinstall everything from scratch?

I took a quick look at the Samsung data migration tool but that doesn't seem to fit my needs so could do with other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
The only way I can think of is to get a PCIE NVMe adaptor card, if you have a free PCIE slot in your motherboard. The adaptors aren't expensive, less that £15 usually. Can't link due to being a competitor.

Soldato
OP
I think the 951 is what I have, maybe 950? Don't remember at minute.

Does anyone have experience with Macrium Reflect? Come across it elsewhere. It seems I can make an image of my disk on my other drive, swap out nvmes and then use a bootable USB that Macrium will also create to reinstall the image.

Soldato
OP
Hi,
For what it is worth Macrium did exactly what I needed it to. I made an image on my other 4tb drive which took around 30 mins for a 500gb NVME which had around 100gb space left.
It then took another 30 minutes to restore it to my new NVME drive.

I had to sort the boot manager out as it kept giving me errors when loading but fixed this with Macrium anyway.
Had to sort the partitions out which I used free version of Partition Wizard to do so.

Back
Top Bottom