moving home phone to VOIP and advice?

Associate
£2/m for VoipFone, £14 to port in if you want your number kept and then PAYG for outbound, it removes all the messing about with your own PBX.
There was little point in my setup, I just did it as I had the hardware gathering dust so I thought I'd put it to good(ish) use, just a fun project really and I've learnt a lot

Soldato
There was little point in my setup, I just did it as I had the hardware gathering dust so I thought I'd put it to good(ish) use, just a fun project really and I've learnt a lot

100% agree, they are my favourite types of project :D My way probably makes more sense if your want simplicity and your phone line up-time is important eg SOHO, it’s just the simplest and easiest way I found of taking a non portable number to anywhere in the world.

Soldato
I use Sipgate on a PAYG basis, works pretty well. I've built an Asterisk PBX for it to work with which gets around the area code issue mentioned by @!bluetonic!, and allows for some of the premium features you would otherwise have to pay for with Sipgate. I've gone for a bit of an overkill with it all and put it into a HP N36L as I had one lying around, but it could easily be scaled back onto a Raspberry Pi.

Edit: just realised what a thread revival this is!

ive got a spare N36L that i could use

this will be just for fun, but would Asterix work with a Dect setup too?

Currently I have Sipgate setup on a N300IP base unit and have 3 DECT phones connected to it or would i need a PAP adapter?

Associate
I found Sipgate worked well with it, there is a good tutorial on their website. I actually have 5 Gigaset phones running on an N300IP with great success. Just setup the Sipgate trunk and internal/external routes on the N36 and then a local account for each of the Gigaset phones to connect to.

Since getting the basics setup I've gone onto expand the setup, having Cisco phones with SIP firmware - took a long time to figure them out as they are centrally managed and required a TFTP server along with the relevant DHCP option configuring on the router. A basic setup wont require any of this though.

Associate
thinking about trying this had some mobile issues and a cheap home phone payg solution would have been handy, have seen viop adaptors can anyone recommend one to use with my existing dect Panasonic phones looking at using sipgate.

cheers.

Associate
really loking our supgrate setup, works very well with Voiup handsets

@Raggs an Cisco SPA112 ATA will work very well

yeah ta was looking at that one signed up for sipgate paygo account it looks easyish to set up according to the website idiot proof would be better tho :p also trying voipfone the package builder looks a bit complicated i guess it's aimed at business users though

Last edited:
Associate
Voipfone is stupidly simple and support are actually very good, SPA112 works well.

yes was just a initial impression so many options on the config page, looks like the SPA112 can support two providers ? line one comes configured by viopfone other left blank

Soldato
yes was just a initial impression so many options on the config page, looks like the SPA112 can support two providers ? line one comes configured by viopfone other left blank

Yep, perfectly possible. I purchased from amazon as it was cheaper then set it up myself, but pre-configured is plug and play afaik.

Soldato
Associate
right got the spa112 set up on sipgate was expecting a major battle with the virgin hub 3 tested it with my mobile all seems okay.set up was a breeze even through a switch then into the router.
tried a local call to a landline but it didn't work with out the area code so if someone rings me on it from a local landline they'll need to put in the area code plus the number ?

there is a setting on sipgate here, area code set to automatic should i leave that alone ? or change it to the local area code

14XoEVf.jpg

ta.

Associate
This can stop things like nhs helpline from working (111)

Mine is switched on but thinking about turning it off and using area codes for all outgoing calls.

yeah good info ta i might leave it alone then i can easily store family, friends landline numbers in the handset.

Soldato
Can the handset/software not know to make exceptions if you dialled 999 or 101 for example?

I guess not as our work VoIP phones you have to dial full area codes, but can ring 999 or 101 without it prefixing incorrectly.

Associate
can call 999 sipgate confirm your address by letter before you can start using the service they send a start code out, then your address is listed in your account as the emergency address, but you can't call nhs 111 or 101 on sipgate according to this article.

https://basichelp.sipgate.co.uk/hc/...re-numbers-that-can-t-be-called-from-sipgate-

maybe that info is out of date have noticed a few duff links on there help pages.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom