Moving house - advice req.

Man of Honour
Seems like I'll be moving from York -> Newcastle in about a month.
Last time I did any moving, we (gf and I) hired a van and moved about 10 miles from one side of York to the other. Cost about £30 in fuel and £50 in van hiring. Took a few trips and we had some help from her parents with the lifting.

Now I'm going to be moving about 80 miles or so and we have a 3 bedroom house-worth of stuff to be moving. Not going to be able to do multiple trips of that distance and won't be getting any lifting help. Could ask friends, but it's a lot to ask.

Anyone with an idea of how much it'd cost a proper company to do the move (had some quick online quotes around £900(!)) - is that reasonable?

Or would I be better hiring 2 vans and some butch young men?

Soldato
Hire a couple of vans and get your mates to help - thats what mates are for.

Get the gf to keep a steady supply of grub coming at the new end and that should keep the mates happy!
80 miles is only about 90 minutes drive between points so if you got an early start mutlple trips would not be a problem.

Split your mates in to two crews one at one end filling van up and another at new end to move stuff around in new house after van is empited.

Caporegime
try and find a local removals company, they give a better service than the larger national ones, especially for the price.
We have used the some company for our last 2 moves (first was 5 miles, second was 140), they came in, loaded the van (3 bed house and garage worth) and took it down in the same day.

larger companies would have wanted an overnight stop and cost a lot more.

About £900 is there or there abouts what we paid for the longer journey, remember that it will include insurance, which your mates wont provide :p

Soldato
Moving a whole house is a big job. Based on helping several people including my mother at various times, I'd get professional help. It's worth every penny (even £900 IMO, given the fuel costs etc) in terms of their experience in both tackling the overall job, packing efficiently, and insurance. You have enough to worry about when moving without adding to it.

The thing to remember is that it's not £900 (for example) you're talking about, it's the difference between that figure and what it'll cost you in time, money, and goodwill/favours by going the vans/mates/self-arranged insurance way. The difference might not be that great by the time you've finished. And peace of mind is priceless IMO.

Andrew McP

Associate
I moved about 3 months ago from a 3 bedroom semi. We moved 15 miles to another village. The only part of the whole house selling thing that went smoothly was the actual moving day. Cost us 600 pounds and was worth every penny. You don't realise quite how much stuff you have till you try moving it all!

Man of Honour
OP
Well I'll probably actually just hire a van with a tail lift or something and get a mate to help me. Anything delicate will go with me and be insured some other way anyway.

Now I just need to find an area of north/south tynside to live in. Thinking Boldon Colliery. Anywhere better?

Needs to have good transport links (i.e. close to metro station) for me to Gosforth/Regent Centre, but also easy road access to A19/A1 (via A194?) down to durham/sunderland.

BC seems to be sensible.

Soldato
Boldon Colliery is ok, it's the same as anywhere n that it has it's nice places and it's not so nice places.

Complete and utter pimpage here, but have you looked at Washington? We have great transport links, sandwiched between the A1, A19 and A194 so Sunderland/Durham/Newcastle/Gateshead are all only about 10 or 15 minutes drive away. Bus services also run regularly and Heworth metro will get you straight to the Regents Centre after a quick bus journey.

Man of Honour
My last move was from SE London into Surrey (not very far but a good 1 to 1.5 hour drive) and from a very full 3 bed house. This cost about £700 to £800 three years ago. Money well spent - they pack things properly, take cupboards apart/put back together, etc. and bring a team of blokes who know what they're doing and do it every day. Moving youself is OK for your first couple of moves but once you've acumulated enough junk definitely work paying others. that's before you consider their insurance and your time.

Back
Top Bottom