Moving private plate onto new vehicle

Soldato
Hi guys,

I hope to pick up a new car in July. The dealership is saying they won't help with putting the private plate onto the new vehicle and will register it with a generic one due to workload :rolleyes: (VW and Ford had not issues but Tesla is obviously too important)... Anyone know if there is an easier process than below?
  1. Put plate onto retention from current vehicle (£80)
  2. Buy new plates for current vehicle (£20?)
  3. Contact current insurer and update policy (£20 fee)
  4. Collect new car and insure with generic plates
  5. Apply private plate to new car
  6. Contact new insurer and update policy (£15 fee)
Can I use the same plastic plates from my current car on the new one or will I need to buy them again?

Thanks!

Soldato
You can transfer the plates over on the same day as you collect provided the V5 has your name and address on it, that way you only need to contact your insurer the once to tell them of a car change. Else what you'd listed will work but when you speak to your insurer inform them that you will be contacting them again when you transfer the plate over and if they can waive the costs, some will, some won't, mine waived the the cost of the plate change at step 6.

Soldato
OP
You can transfer the plates over on the same day as you collect provided the V5 has your name and address on it, that way you only need to contact your insurer the once to tell them of a car change. Else what you'd listed will work but when you speak to your insurer inform them that you will be contacting them again when you transfer the plate over and if they can waive the costs, some will, some won't, mine waived the the cost of the plate change at step 6.
Unfortunately I won't be trading the current car on the day - it will need to be sold shortly after privately.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
Most decent insurance companies will not charge for changes if made online. I’ve made three plate changes recently for no cost.

Yep having plates made up will cost about 20 quid. Surprisingly, main dealers have been most competitive for having plates made (Mercedes £20 - Jaguar £22).

Soldato
OP
When's the best timing? Do I need to have shifted the plates off my current car (and physically fit new plastic plates?) before I go and pick up the new car?

Back
Top Bottom