Moving Sky HD box

Soldato
Hi,

There was a thread similar to this not long ago, though my requirements and options may be slightly different.

My sky box is an HD box, and the cable that the guy installed is only just long enough to reach the box right now. This cable needs to be 2 or 3 metres longer to allow me to move my TV to a better place.

Is it possible for me to extend the existing cable without causing any interference or degrading the signal, or do I need to give the sky bloke a ring and get him to install a longer cable for me?

I don't have a ladder so can't really do it myself, and need a bit of guidance about either extension or sky guy.

Any help's appreciated,

Cheers,

Karl.

Soldato
I think you can get some extenison connectors from a well known electrical store, but this would result in loss of quality i'm sure. I was in the same boat as you when I was redecorating the room, we wanted the TV mounted to a wall but the old Sky cable would not reach to where we wanted it. We ended up just upgrading the Sky HD and asking the engineer to install a new dish and cabling.

Your best bet would be asking your local sky dish installer and seeing what he says and get some prices. Better to just have new cable put in I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't see it making a difference, as when we got Sky HD installed the box has about 20m to the dish, and there's a lot of slack behind the TV as well, so well over 25 meters.

No problems with signal or quality.

Soldato
OP
Agreed. I've just been out and bought two satellite extension cables (one for each signal) then fitted them and haven't noticed a decrease in quality. Nice one! :)

Associate
same here, got some F type inline connectors job done :D
as long as you keep the outer earthing strands clear from the center core you'll be fine, trick is to leave some of the plastic sheath over the center core visible so as to protect it :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah I left quite a bit of the plastic visible, and kept all the earthing strands away, though it was a bit of a guess because I just copied the guy's ones. Probably the easiest bit of wiring I'll ever do! :D

Back
Top Bottom