Moving to the US. What to do with US$25K for a daily driver.

Associate
Hi,

I am looking to transfer over to the US for around 6 years with my current company. Have not driven for over 12 years (cars in Singapore are stupid expensive and public transport is great and fairly cheep). Might start a thread if things are confirmed as it is going to be a massive undertaking.

To this end I am looking forward to dropping a bit of money on essentially a first nice car (at 46).

Looking for something I can mod a bit and sort of aiming towards AWD or front wheel drive at a push as the roads where I could be going can get a bit snowy / icy (not too deep though).

I have some cars selected after looking at cargurus. I have two price points. The first is comfortable with some spare for a mod or two. The second would be stretching it and mods would have to wait.

I would want sat nav and other assists using tech would be a big advantage. Daily drive is likely to be an hour each way but would also like to do some long drives exploring the US with the family (we would also look to lease a second car).

Not a big fan of Audis (find them quite boring to look at) or Lexus (really hate the modern grill - used to love the IS250 though). Like the GT BMWs with the big back hatch rather than a saloon but open to any ideas.

Any comments, suggestions, advice of issues to look out for would be massively helpful.

Price Point 1 - (under US$20K)
  • 2016 BMW 328i xDrive
  • 2014 Merc CLA-250 4MATIC
  • 2016 Ford Focus ST
Prive Point 2 - (under US$30K)
  • 2016 BMW M235i xDrive Coupe
  • 2016 BMW 535i GT
  • 2017 BMW 430i xDrive Crand COupe
  • 2016 Range Rover Evoque SE Premium
Site is blocked at work but will try to check back in the evenings.

Man of Honour
Isn't the American thing to do to buy a **** off big pickup?

The premium Range Rovers seem to be suddenly becoming a "thing" in the US the last 18 months or so - not quite sure why (can't say I'm particularly a fan of them - space in the back for instance is pretty meh for an SUV if you are doing longer drives with family). I'd say out of those if you are concerned about a bit of ice and snow then probably the xDrive stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think I’d go for the 535i out of that lot, but have you considered a Cadillac CTS with winter tyres? The new ones are nothing like the junk they were producing years ago and are a genuine 5 series competitor.

Personally, I’d get a used Range Rover (proper one, not an Evoque), or a RAM Laramie / F150 Lariat / GMC Sierra Denali. They probably don’t fit your requirements in any way though :p

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Likely to be Tennessee.

Insurance is likely to be between 2k and 5k per year but 5k is for a teenager so would hope ti would be closer to the 2k mark.

The RWD's are nice but would like to get some miles under me again before going for the more fun cars like the Mustang, BRZ (86), 370Z etc.

Could chuck the VW CC 2.0 R-Line (2016) in the cheaper category.

Like the F150 etc but not really my thing at the moment. If we get to go travelling and off road a bit then maybe this would be a good option.

Also looked at the Audi Q7 which would take all of us but as I am likely to be driving by myself daily, seems a bit big.

The Cadi CTS looks interesting but quite chunky.

Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE (2016) would be within budget. Pure Land Rover are double what I would like to spend unless I drop back to 2013.

Soldato
what are maintenance/extended-warranty costs in the usa too ? are they disproportionately large versus uk for BMW, the prices you listed seem low versus uk ?
... so is a US car more judicious. (even if they make some bms in us).

you don't need ability to put bicycles inside too .. with more urbainzed living may need a different strategy to efficiently get away for leisure.

Man of Honour
This is a really bad question to ask on a UK forum because:

a) Nobody knows the US car market so doesn't really know what you get for the money
b) Everyone will just go OMG GET A MASSIVE V8 because they think everyone in the US drives a V8.

Soldato
This is a really bad question to ask on a UK forum because:

a) Nobody knows the US car market so doesn't really know what you get for the money
b) Everyone will just go OMG GET A MASSIVE V8 because they think everyone in the US drives a V8.
We do :D

As an example, I'm 31 and my insurance down here is $2k a year and this is a bad place for insurance due to everyone running into each other.

Repairs and maintenance on BMW or Mercedes are high, I hear horror stories all day from my Mercedes tech friend. Basically anything european is pricey.

Man of Honour

I noticed more recently stuff like the VW Jetta 1.4T ("compacts" LOL) seem to be rising in popularity in the states especially among the younger generations.

Back
Top Bottom