MPC-HC(media player classic) RIP

Soldato
Have similarly used mpc-hc and vlc, found
mpc - lighter on h/w resources, option to easily set external monitor refresh rate, add/sync subtitles, reliably played bbc dash radio.
vlc - record option, media libraries and playlist functionality.

Could not see much on MPC BE differences, but I guess HC will continue to work well enough for a couple of years
below suggested pretty similar EDIT: ... but different developer so not also dying
MPC-BE has a YouTube like preview above the navigation bar if you're into that sort of thing. MPC-HC doesn't. They're really not all that different from a user perceptive though. If memory serves correctly the guy mainly responsible for maintaining the MPC-HC decoders packed up his bat and split off to MPC-BE, and a short time later MPC-HC switched to using LAV filters for decoding, which I prefer. MPC-HC is probably updated a bit more, but from a user perspective they're still pretty similar.

There's also Potplayer. It's kind of like MPC-HC/BE with more options and functionality added. Many people here like it but I find it a bit bloated and prefer the more simplistic MPC-HC. I mention Potplayer as it no doubt started life based an a lot of MPC or MPC-HC code with the extra stuff added, so it's not completely dissimilar, and some people like the extra functionality. I don't think there's a portable version though.

Associate
I'l be gutted if MPC-BE goes under. I've been using it for a while and it's fantastic. Light on resources, sleek interface and smooth playback which runs virtually every file and file type I've ever tried on it. Guess I'l have to start keeping the installers.

VLC UI is hideous in comparison

Soldato
I'l be gutted if MPC-BE goes under. I've been using it for a while and it's fantastic
^ My thoughts exactly. Love MPC-BE.

how do you manage and find media with MPC-BE though ? I want to quickly see video metadata to select what I want to watch
which I can do in plex and vlc ... but MPC does not give me a solution - do you make mpc your player in plex ? (I am an mpc fan, as I said)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
And you can continue using it for years to come.

There's no reason the last stable release won't continue to work unless Microsoft make a big change to how applications run in the next major Windows OS update.

Soldato
I'l be gutted if MPC-BE goes under. I've been using it for a while and it's fantastic. Light on resources, sleek interface and smooth playback which runs virtually every file and file type I've ever tried on it. Guess I'l have to start keeping the installers.

VLC UI is hideous in comparison

VLC is terrible.

ALD

ALD

Associate
From the Doom9 forums.

During the release of 1.7.13 an announcement was made, that it might be the last official release due to a lack of developers. Since then, several people have contacted the project admin (XhmikosR) with the offer to help. So the project is still alive. Basic maintenance tasks (like updating external components such as LAV Filters) are covered. Ideally we would like to get some actual real development action going too. So we need new and more developers.

Associate
VLC is terrible.

Yep, I can 100% confirm that. In fact it is even worse than I remembered it to be!

From the Doom9 forums.

During the release of 1.7.13 an announcement was made, that it might be the last official release due to a lack of developers. Since then, several people have contacted the project admin (XhmikosR) with the offer to help. So the project is still alive. Basic maintenance tasks (like updating external components such as LAV Filters) are covered

That'll do me! Goodbye VLC… you won't be missed!

Permabanned
That almost gave me a scare. Luckily, I missed the original news about MPC being closed down. I would hate to go back to VLC, it's lost its edge years ago and serves as a rudimentary converter now more than a video player. With all the recent bullcrap about Windows updates, One Drive synch problems I've experienced and the general depression, losing the only good media player I use to watch my movies would just add to the friggin' pile.
I hope the project stays alive. I would join myself I was useful in any way.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd also like to add a comment about my utter disdain for VLC. Truly awful.... :p

I pretty much use MPC-BE exclusively for playing blu-ray/DVD rips created with makemkv and I can't see that format changing any time soon so even if development on that stopped today, I don't think it would affect me for many, many years.

Back
Top Bottom