MS Surface Book vs Lenovo Yoga 910 vs HP Spectre x360

Associate
I am thinking of getting a new personal Laptop. I have a work one already but they are locked down so this would be purely personal usage. I also already have a std size ipad.

I want it for:-

- Chrome web browsing (usually sat on the sofa)
- Watching media (often whilst cooking I currently sit my Ipad on the side and will put the football etc on) - hence the form factor of these works.
- Note taking (Evernote)
- Using for personal Office tasks (Excel, Word, bit of Visio and Project)
- Low level gaming (I am not seeing this as replacement for Desktop but more if I want to play Civ on a plane type thing)

Current short list is (OC sell none of these so I am not considering these competitors)

Lenovo Yoga 910
Pros - High Spec, Nice form factor, Prce
Cons - No pen support, No Thunderbolt
NB - as we have a deal at work I can get this for £1150

HP Spectre x360
Pros - High spec, modern connections (Thunderbolt), can use a pen, 4k screen
Cons - Price at £1500

Microsoft Surface Book
Pros - High spec (inc GFX), Removable screen to make tablet, good pen support
Cons - Price at £1600, Not 4k screen

So does anyone have one of these form factor machines and what have you learnt from having it?

Soldato
If you are looking at the Yoga 910 - you might be worth waiting a month or two, the Yoga 720 is coming out and will have a 15.6" Screen, SSD, i7 and Nvidia 1050 graphics... the 1050 would make a heck of a lot of sense if you want light gaming, and the screen will be strong for multimedia.

I don't know what the price is going to be mind you. I know a few Lenovo folks and they swear by the Yoga and the Miix tablets. They are both powerful enough to do all the productivity and the touch screen and form factor add a lot to usability.

I know nothing about the Spectre or Book to compare with I'm afraid.

Associate
OP
When I saw that MS were putting up their prices due to exchange rate changes I pulled the trigger and went for the Lenovo. I think increasing prices for Electronics will be a trend for a little while.

Arrived yesterday. Very pleased with it.

Soldato
Awesome, Is it really usable turned round so the keyboard is underneath to watch multimedia?

We ought to have a baby review section on here for real user opinions of hardware...

Associate
OP
Baby review (and pics)

Very premium feeling laptop. The aluminium finish adds weight but is also reassuring solid.

The watch band hinge stays where you set it. You can type on the touch screen with the keyboard laid underneath and the screen barely moves. The tablet mode works, but the screen is quite narrow to use in portrait mode. Doesn't work with a pen either so not sure I will use it for that much.

The screen is frankly gorgeous. The 4k resolution makes it crystal sharp and real colour depth.

Finger print reader is fast and so far error free for a quick unlock.

I haven't pushed the processor yet, but so far runs smooth.

IMG_1352_zpskvvde7dw.jpg

IMG_1354_zpseasddkyz.jpg

IMG_1355_zpsdatq6o8y.jpg

Permabanned
I think 4k is an overkill at that size - I haven't been able to tell the difference with a good quality FHD. It will be probably more future proof - how many years warranty?

Back
Top Bottom