• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 1080Ti Seahawk EK X High Temperatures

Associate
Hi,
I've had my MSI 1080Ti Seahawk EK X for a week and it is blisteringly fast but the temperatures are a bit higher than I expected. With the card on stock settings after an hour of heaven looping it is at 75c and my loop temperature is 45c. The card has settled at a boost speed of 1933MHz. Before pulling it apart to reapply the thermal paste I was wondering if this is normal?
Thanks.

Soldato
Hi,
I've had my MSI 1080Ti Seahawk EK X for a week and it is blisteringly fast but the temperatures are a bit higher than I expected. With the card on stock settings after an hour of heaven looping it is at 75c and my loop temperature is 45c. The card has settled at a boost speed of 1933MHz. Before pulling it apart to reapply the thermal paste I was wondering if this is normal?
Thanks.

75c for the GPU core and 45c water temp under load, if I read that correctly ?

Have to ask, if your Room temp 35c?? If your UK bound trying to get water temp around 30-2c is the norm , It can go to high as 50c but not recommended and diminishing returns.
What radiator(s) are you using ? Might not have enough to cope with the heat load or your fans aren't spinning fast enough or good enough .
With a core temp of 75c that does seem high on water. My 1080 hits 55c max after 2 hours of stressing - and that's linked to a 45mm thick 240 rad with fans at 600 rpm

Soldato
I'd have to agree with orbital. Without knowing your full specs its hard to tell.

45c water temp then I'd be tempted to say that either your room is very hot (30c+), your rad space is inadequate (or fans too slow), or your pump is not running fast enough.

75c seems hot to me but with a water temp of 45c already and possible above factors (mainly pump speed). It doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I know MSI use pretty good thermal paste on their cards now so i would check over your loop thoroughly before stripping the card.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd have to agree with orbital. Without knowing your full specs its hard to tell.

45c water temp then I'd be tempted to say that either your room is very hot (30c+), your rad space is inadequate (or fans too slow), or your pump is not running fast enough.

75c seems hot to me but with a water temp of 45c already and possible above factors (mainly pump speed). It doesn't seem too unreasonable.

I know MSI use pretty good thermal paste on their cards now so i would check over your loop thoroughly before stripping the card.

Thanks for the feedback.

My room is 22 - 25c normally. My rad setup is a single and a double rad and the fans were all running at 1400 rpm.
I'll give my loop a check over as I did some work on it as I added the new card.
Cheers

Soldato
Single and a double rad , I'm guessing 120 fans , what's your CPU ? Is it iverclocking and at what voltage ?

If you go to EKWB website , have a go with the configurator and it will give a rough guide to how much heat wattage your dumping into the system and what it can handle at what temp

Associate
OP
I've got three 120 fans (noctua NF-p12). The CPU is an overclocked 5820K at 4.2Ghz 1.3v (I didn't do well in the lottery and I have cache and system agent voltages set at +.3v adaptive to keep everything running). After having a good look tonight I realised I'd set MSI afterburner to load a 120% power limit on boot. I dropped this down to 100% and the temperatures dropped to 68c. Still a bit high but I need more rad area to dump the heat and get down to a < 35c loop temperature. I'm out of room in my current case so it's time to start shopping. If anyone has the 1080Ti Seahawk EK I'd really like to know what temps they are getting.

Soldato
I would say you need at least another double rad to get your water temps down closer to ambient

edit; I often forget that people tend to have closed cases they mount rads in too, how are yours mounted (e.g. pulling fresh air)?

Soldato
I've got three 120 fans (noctua NF-p12). The CPU is an overclocked 5820K at 4.2Ghz 1.3v (I didn't do well in the lottery and I have cache and system agent voltages set at +.3v adaptive to keep everything running). After having a good look tonight I realised I'd set MSI afterburner to load a 120% power limit on boot. I dropped this down to 100% and the temperatures dropped to 68c. Still a bit high but I need more rad area to dump the heat and get down to a < 35c loop temperature. I'm out of room in my current case so it's time to start shopping. If anyone has the 1080Ti Seahawk EK I'd really like to know what temps they are getting.

What kind of flow and speed is your pump at?

Sounds to me more like your not getting much flow, either water or air through the rads. At 75c whats your cpu temps like?

Do you have a pic of your loop as well just to verify everything looks good and you haven't missed anything?

Like jono said even 68c is too hot, thats air cooler territory. I rarely see my Ti over 40-45c (flat out) with 2 x 480mm rads and fans at 700rpm.

Soldato
The key here is that the gpu is 30c over the water temp which is way too high for an ek block on a 1080ti. More rad will help bring down the water temp but not really effect the delta between the water temp and gpu core temp.

The gpu core isn't being cooled properly be it poor contact, air lock, incorrect flow/setup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Like others have said it sounds a lot like a low flow issue. Take the side off the case and feel the hoses, does the one coming off the GPU feel warmer than the others?

Associate
I have the 1080..

Had same problem when I first bought it.. turns out there was barely any thermal compound on the GPU.

I took the block off and applied some new stuff and now highest temp is 49 on the most demanding game after several hours of gaming.

MSI QC for compound application must have been having an off day.

Associate
OP
I have the 1080..

Had same problem when I first bought it.. turns out there was barely any thermal compound on the GPU.

I took the block off and applied some new stuff and now highest temp is 49 on the most demanding game after several hours of gaming.

MSI QC for compound application must have been having an off day.

Thanks for that. One of my reasons for buying the Seahawk was not voiding the warranty on a very pricey card by taking it apart. MSI are supposedly good with cooler removal so I think I'll have a look at the weekend.

Soldato
Thanks for that. One of my reasons for buying the Seahawk was not voiding the warranty on a very pricey card by taking it apart. MSI are supposedly good with cooler removal so I think I'll have a look at the weekend.

if your going to do it, Thermal Grizzlie Paste and might as well do teir pads on the VRMs if you know the thickness- do the job right !

Associate
OP
Like others have said it sounds a lot like a low flow issue. Take the side off the case and feel the hoses, does the one coming off the GPU feel warmer than the others?

I've got loads of flow. I've got a D5 running at about 90% and I can micro bubbles racing around the loop at a good speed. I think I need more rad area and to have a look at the TIM on the card.

if your going to do it, Thermal Grizzlie Paste and might as well do teir pads on the VRMs if you know the thickness- do the job right !
Good point. I'll find the VRM thickness and get some pads on order. I certainly can't be arsed to do this more than once :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I've got loads of flow. I've got a D5 running at about 90% and I can micro bubbles racing around the loop at a good speed. I think I need more rad area and to have a look at the TIM on the card.

If the flow is fine that's quite worrying as your rad space is also fine and your fans are very good for water cooling, I would suggest def looking at the TIM however that doesn't explain your high coolant temps hence myself and others thinking flow rate issue.

Associate
OP
If the flow is fine that's quite worrying as your rad space is also fine and your fans are very good for water cooling, I would suggest def looking at the TIM however that doesn't explain your high coolant temps hence myself and others thinking flow rate issue.
Thanks. The suggestions were appreciated and I'll also double check it tonight just in case I missed something.

Associate
Those temps do seem to high but I would be most concerned about the loop temperature. The fact that it is 45 degrees indicates that heat is getting away from the chip but it's not getting removed from the radiator. I think the Noctua may be part of the issue. They are pressure fans, but they are pretty low RPM and I think you may do better going for a more hybrid design with a higher maximum RPM as well. In other words, increase the airflow through the radiator. Not knowing your system it's difficult to say what that needs, but I would go for a hybrid first. Definitely, no matter what, go for higher RPM. You can always decrease RPM if it's making too much noise.
Normally the amount of paste doesn't affect temperatures THAT much, but it is also possible you have an air bubble in the thermal paste, so I agree with others that you should try re-applying the paste.

Soldato
I think the Noctua may be part of the issue. They are pressure fans, but they are pretty low RPM and I think you may do better going for a more hybrid design with a higher maximum RPM as well.

I use the same fans, they are great for WC, ~55CFM and 1.7mm pressure (better than a 1450RPM Typhoon or Vardar), I doubt they will be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom