1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSI 2080TI Trio Fans Not Kicking In

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Black Dog, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Black Dog

Wise Guy

Got myself a nice new card but for some reason the fans are not kicking in. I know they work because they spin up during boot up. I know they are supposed to idle until a certain temp but I have got a high as 60c and they are still not kicking in. Is this normal? If so, what temp do they actually start.

I have created a fan curve through RTSS and they work fine but I shouldn't really have to do this. It's just a little worrying and I've never had this issue before.

2. subbytna

Sgarrista

3. Black Dog

Wise Guy

Thx for the link. It states 56c for the 2080 but I have gone over 60c but still no active fans. I will have to try to get the card nice and hot and see when they kick in.

4. chroniclard

Capodecina

Can try a benchmarking program or running some games maxed out.

5. scubes

Wise Guy

is there no software with the card that lets you put the fan on i noticed with the lads asus strix 1060 bought of here i had to adjust the fans to get them to come on but i'm sure when it gets to a certain temp it will come on buy its self.

6. Black Dog

Wise Guy

No software with the card. I will try to heat it up enough to see what happens. Worst case I will have to enable a fan curve through RTSS.

7. Kelt

Capodecina

You don't normally get software with cards these days.

Go to the MSI webpage and have a look to see what (if any) s/w is there for your card.

That being said, I have an RGB enabled MSI 1070 and I didn't like their s/w at the time (almost three years ago) so I just use Afterburner to set my own fan curve, and third party s/w to implement the RGB as a temperature guide.

8. Chadd

Wise Guy

You can test the fan using MSI Afterburner.

I have the MSI 2070 Super and the fan kicks in at around 63/64 degrees.

9. Matson

Mobster

I have the exact same card and its completely normal. I just tested it myself and the fans kick in around 63/64 degrees. Nothing at all for you to worry about.

10. Black Dog

Wise Guy

Okay thanks. I will give it a try tonight.

11. Jay85

Mobster

I had the same fan design card and cooler and the fans don't spin up until it surpasses around 61c. When you initially start the system the fans will spin briefly but cut off once into idle mode.

It's normal.

12. subbytna

Sgarrista

Well?

13. Black Dog

Wise Guy

Tried it last night and they kicked in @ 62c. Seems very high though so might try a fan curve through RTSS.

14. tyler_jrb

Mobster

It’s fine. 62c is nothing for a GPU and it’s surrounding components. Having the fan on all the time will only decrease fan life and increase noise.

15. agnes

Capodecina

Agreed, 62C is very normal at idle with no fans spinning. I really wouldn't worry. The fan curves more often than not are fine from factory.

Just game for a few days, keep an eye on temps if you'd like, but don't panic when you see 85C as that's normal under load.

16. chaparral

Capodecina

85c is normal with a triple fan cooler :eek:

That doesn't seem right.. Most the reviews I looked at of 2080ti with triple fan coolers are far lower then that

17. agnes

Capodecina

I'm just preparing you, a lot of reviews are in open air benchmarks. I went from 85C on my EVGA 2080 ti XC Ultra to 65C just from going from a mid tower to a full tower with much better air cooling before going to watercooling.

Anything above 90C is something to worry about though.

18. Black Dog

Wise Guy

But with the graphics card getting up to 60-70c create heat for the rest of the case?

19. Kelt

Capodecina

Won't be an issue with a well cooled case.

My GPU fans aren't set to start until it reaches 60c and it's not a problem at all.

20. Disco_P

Soldato

No that isn't how heat works.