MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition

Permabanned
Im currently planning on building a new system and would be hoping to go crossfire but i was just wondering is this booard good for overclocking im will be gettin the following setup:

Motherboard: MSI 975X Platinum PowerUP Edition
Ram: G.Skill 2GB DDR2 HZ PC2-6400 (2x1GB) CAS4 Dual Channel Kit
CPU: e6600
GFX Cards: Hoping to go for 2x x1900xt, or is to 2x7900gs ot gts better.

Associate
I have this board and it has a few problems:

* BIOS refuses to recognise Logitech G15 USB Gaming Keyboard - Although it works once Windows is loaded, the BIOS refuses to detect a keyboard is plugged in, meaning a PS/2 or alternative USB keyboard is needed to get into the BIOS.

For the time being, I have set the BIOS to: "Halt on all errors except keyboard" so I don't need to keep the PS/2 board plugged in to get past the POST screen.

Quite a few people have reported this problem, all of them with Logitech G15 keyboards. Even with the very latest beta BIOS (7.24), this problem still exists.

* Memory speed/timings - By default, it detects my 2 x 1gb G.Skill sticks at 667mhz and not the 800 they are rated at. I upped the speed using the BIOS to 1:1.5 and the system POSTs but there are definitely stability issues with either the 7.0 release BIOS and the latest official 7.10 BIOS available to download.

With the 7.24 beta BIOS, the stability seems improved, although it still detects the memory at 667 unless I change it.

When I installed my 7950GX2 in the PCI-E 16x slot, the end of the card comes down to rest on top of a capacitor. Fortunately, the board can be pushed all the way home into the slot before it touches the capacitor so the card will work.

I've decided that I'll persevere with this board for a while - I think that if MSI can sort out the problems with a few BIOS updates then it will be a good board.

The only word of warning is, if you purchase this board and have a Logitech G15 keyboard, you should probably make sure you have a PS/2 or a different USB keyboard on hand.

Soldato
Ive been using the MSI platinum for a couple of weeks, and so far its been a fantastic board.

Should have the Abit AW9D MAX up for review tomorrow, so i will compare boards at the same settings.

The only issue i have with the Max is having to drop the XFI for onboard sound when using Crossfire, and i will be testing just how good the 7.1 Soundmax stacks up against the XFI (in terms of is it worth the sacrifice to drop the XFI sort of thing)

You can see a quick preview Here

Back
Top Bottom