• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI 980 TI Sea Hawk RMA

Soldato
Here is MSI's reply:

we still have Seahawk in service stock, so defectives one are swapped for a refurbished card.

Means you'll most likely get one back that works perfectly, though with scratches and perhaps coil whine. After all, someone else has returned these refurbished cards to MSI for some reason.

I RMA'd my MSI 390X a few weeks ago, sent back a mint condition card and got a refurbished one back. The replacement card does work perfectly though, but I was a little disappointed that it was scratched up. It also has some coil whine, though only when running maxed out. Can't hear it with my headphones on, so going to live with it.

Associate
OP
Means you'll most likely get one back that works perfectly, though with scratches and perhaps coil whine. After all, someone else has returned these refurbished cards to MSI for some reason.

I RMA'd my MSI 390X a few weeks ago, sent back a mint condition card and got a refurbished one back. The replacement card does work perfectly though, but I was a little disappointed that it was scratched up. It also has some coil whine, though only when running maxed out. Can't hear it with my headphones on, so going to live with it.

I best not get one back with coil whine I be well annoyed.

Associate
If you hold a torch behind the rad you should be able to see through it and not blocked with dust you'll want compressed air to blow out the rad. The temp jump sounds odd, like a faulty temp probe. If it is getting to 90 degrees the rad will be very warm to the touch. Do GPU-z and afterburner report the same temps?

I can attest about having no dust plugging up your rad ... got a corsair water cooler for my cpu. 2x my radiator was plugged up and this the fan wouldnt push through and my cpu started to overheat ie crashes.

I use a vacuum rather then a air canister. Or hoover for you brits ;)

Associate
OP
Well in the end 6 weeks later that is. MSI told OC that it cannot be fixed and they wont replace. So OC refunded the amount I paid minus all the delivery costs. Which I cannot complain I got 6 months out of the card. So now I am awaiting stock of the EVGA 1080 SC version as Cannot afford the FW version.

Caporegime
Well in the end 6 weeks later that is. MSI told OC that it cannot be fixed and they wont replace. So OC refunded the amount I paid minus all the delivery costs. Which I cannot complain I got 6 months out of the card. So now I am awaiting stock of the EVGA 1080 SC version as Cannot afford the FW version.

Well, I'm glad it got sorted to your satisfaction in the end mate.

Does really highlight the current Asus/OcUK warranty situation in a good light though, if faulty then OcUK just send a new card instead of waiting an age for the manufacturer to sort out!!! Probably worth the bit extra :)

Associate

6 weeks :eek:

I will stay clear of MSI then gee 6 weeks

Back
Top Bottom