• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Lightning 680 SLI

J.D

J.D

Soldato
:D I moved my 3Dmark install to a HDD so the cards got longer to cool down inbetween tests...Made no difference though :D

That good sir, is legendry!! :D. I could actually see you with your PC at the kitchen door and you sitting on a seat outside of the door looking in with about 4 jackets on shivering. I bet you can't wait for the snow :D.

I've sat with my windows open and had to stick another top on before overclocking as it was a bit chilly. Too paranoid about crazy voltages on air haha.

Soldato
7970 lightning is limited to 1.35v on both normal and ln2 bios, I can get it to 1.362v on the normal bios rendering the ln2 bios useless. The ln2 bios on the 7970 is poorly advertised imo, it is fully unlocked but only if you meet msi's requirements to get abx of which probably only around 5% of users do.

It is a fantastic card, under water you should expect ~1300mhz. Which puts it on average above the majority of 7970's. Also if you go for the BE its currently the fastest 7970 out of the box with a 1150mhz boost.

Caporegime
That good sir, is legendry!! :D. I could actually see you with your PC at the kitchen door and you sitting on a seat outside of the door looking in with about 4 jackets on shivering. I bet you can't wait for the snow :D.

I've sat with my windows open and had to stick another top on before overclocking as it was a bit chilly. Too paranoid about crazy voltages on air haha.

lol...Was you watching me? When I was on air, this is what I was doing. I had the sides off the PC and I had the kitchen door open (when the wife wasn't about). It helped keep temps a little cooler :)

Soldato
Remember folks...if you want to use Afterburner to adjust the voltage on Kepler based cards (and even then, it only works for a limited number of MSI cards), then you need to use version 2.2.3 ... as later versions lock out voltage adjustment! Thank Nvidia for that :(

PS. Move to "sunny" Scotlandshire, it's always bloody cold up here! Current idle temp of my card is 16C!!! (and it's warmer than it was first thing).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Remember folks...if you want to use Afterburner to adjust the voltage on Kepler based cards (and even then, it only works for a limited number of MSI cards), then you need to use version 2.2.3 ... as later versions lock out voltage adjustment! Thank Nvidia for that :(

PS. Move to "sunny" Scotlandshire, it's always bloody cold up here! Current idle temp of my card is 16C!!! (and it's warmer than it was first thing).

Easily sorted by using 2.2.4 and a small config change or stick with 2.2.3 like I have (no difference in overclocking I have found). If you do get a locked voltage 680 Lightning like my second was, it is easy to flash the bios to the unlocked one :)

If anyone is thinking of getting or got one and isn't sure on the BIOS/flashing, have a read of this.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1280007/official-msi-gtx-680-lightning-owners-club

Back
Top Bottom