MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Suddenly Won't POST

Associate
So I just built a new system earlier today.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2 x 16GB)
HDD: 1TB NVMe
Cooler: Corsair iCue H150i Elite Capellix
PSU: Corsair RM750
Case: Lian Li O11-Dynamic
GPU: Reused GTX 970

I put it altogether, POST was fine, installed Windows 10, installed updates, updated BIOS, used the PC for several hours, productivity, video calls, no problem. About 6 hours later, just whilst sat watching YouTube, Windows shut down but the PC was still powered and fans were running. I powered down the system and turned it on again and now the machine refuses to POST at all.

I reseated the RAM, GPU, checked all the cables, but no luck at all. I don't have any warning beeps or any warning lights on the onboard EZ Debug LED. So, any idea what could be causing this?

The PC was totally working fine and then after several hours, it just shut down and stopped. I was checking my temps and the CPU was stable at around 29 to 32 degrees.

Any ideas?

Associate
OP
Ang sign of power, fans leds, etc ?

Try shorting the power on pins on the motherboard in case the front switch is faulty.

Yes, there is power. All the fans and RGB come on. There are no fault LEDs on the board.

reset cmos first JBAT1 page 40 in manual

I removed the battery, but I'm guessing that wasn't it and I need to short the CMOS pins.

Associate
OP
So, I tested the following:

Tried another power cable (kettle lead)
Reset CMOS (both shorting and battery reseat, holding down the power for 20 seconds before powering back on)
Tried another working GPU (GTX 720)
Tried 2 working PSUs
Tried both sticks of RAM individually
Tried booting without the m.2 NVMe
Reseated the CPU
Flash BIOS via USB (latest version - v15)
Flash BIOS via USB (previous version - v14)

Still no luck. I'm totally stumped. I'm gonna try to get my hands on another CPU. Failing that, it could only be the motherboard, right?

Man of Honour
So, I tested the following:

Tried another power cable (kettle lead)
Reset CMOS (both shorting and battery reseat, holding down the power for 20 seconds before powering back on)
Tried another working GPU (GTX 720)
Tried 2 working PSUs
Tried both sticks of RAM individually
Tried booting without the m.2 NVMe
Reseated the CPU
Flash BIOS via USB (latest version - v15)
Flash BIOS via USB (previous version - v14)

Still no luck. I'm totally stumped. I'm gonna try to get my hands on another CPU. Failing that, it could only be the motherboard, right?
Did you get the motherboard and Cpu from the same place could send them both back together.

Associate
OP
I got my hands on another CPU (Ryzen 3 2200g) and as soon as I put it in, the board complained about the CPU straight away. I'm guessing with 2 CPUs not working, it has to be the board that's faulty.

Associate
OP
Never really worked out whether it was the CPU or Motherboard that was faulty. The retailer told me that they tested the board and it POSTed fine, even though I tested with 2 different CPUs and couldn't get it to. But, they agreed to refund me anyway... And I got a refund for the open box 5800X CPU.

I'm guessing the CPU was probably the obvious issue, but who knows. Either way, I bought another 5800X and also went for a slightly better board, the MSI Meg X570 Unify, and now have a decent working system!

Soldato
Never really worked out whether it was the CPU or Motherboard that was faulty. The retailer told me that they tested the board and it POSTed fine, even though I tested with 2 different CPUs and couldn't get it to. But, they agreed to refund me anyway... And I got a refund for the open box 5800X CPU.

I'm guessing the CPU was probably the obvious issue, but who knows. Either way, I bought another 5800X and also went for a slightly better board, the MSI Meg X570 Unify, and now have a decent working system!
Glad you got it sorted mate what do you think of the unify mate im waiting for mine to come

Associate
Strange that because the CPU is definitely compatible with that board. The Unify is a solid replacement though!

Associate
OP
Glad you got it sorted mate what do you think of the unify mate im waiting for mine to come

It's definitely a good board. Looks the part and I like that there are 3 x NVMe ports as opposed to the Tomahawk's two. Also, the LED code display is very handy indeed.

Definitely make sure you update you board to the latest BIOS. XMP was causing huge stability issues out of the box until I updated to the latest BIOS.

Strange that because the CPU is definitely compatible with that board. The Unify is a solid replacement though!

No idea why the board didn't work with both CPUs. I thought it must be a dead board, but was surprised that the retailer said it POSTed. Both the 5800X and 2200G, like you say, are compatible with the Tomahawk. Either way, I'm happy with the replacement CPU and the Unify board!

EDIT: Signature updated! :D

Back
Top Bottom