MSI MB RMA

Soldato
Hi all

I have a X470 Gaming plus that has an issue where DIMMB1 and DIMMB2 have stopped working, So I will have to RMA

What is their RMA process like?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
I was not expecting that.

So MSI throw you back to the originating purchaser within the first year.
As it was within that period the rainforest have refunded me plus the difference for another X470 board which will be here tomorrow.

:confused::confused:

Soldato
Was it over a year old?

No, only a couple of months. It was a B450 Tomahawk max. I'd had the system about 6 weeks or so before the BSOD-fest was too much. The whole thing turned into a bit of a saga, and its entirely possible the MB wasn't faulty at all as I ended up having to return the CPU as well as the same faults came up with the replacement board. Thread is here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/borked-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-3600-build.18869594/

Currently have a working system with spare CPU and spare 16 MB ram kit :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
No, only a couple of months. It was a B450 Tomahawk max. I'd had the system about 6 weeks or so before the BSOD-fest was too much. The whole thing turned into a bit of a saga, and its entirely possible the MB wasn't faulty at all as I ended up having to return the CPU as well as the same faults came up with the replacement board. Thread is here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/borked-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-3600-build.18869594/

Currently have a working system with spare CPU and spare 16 MB ram kit :rolleyes:

Oh, that is rubbish :( could you not MM the spares?

Also did you contact OC first or MSI? sort of regretting going MSI now as this will be the third board. 1 my fault, 1 theirs 3rd times a charm.

Also there was a very recent Reddit post pretty much identical to your experience that I was reading yesterday.
That turned out to be the CPU, same board as yours.

I was lucky there are still a few brand new X470 boards left as I am running our of road with my 1600x should it go wrong again.

Really need to go to a 3600X.....

Soldato
Oh, that is rubbish :( could you not MM the spares?

Also did you contact OC first or MSI? sort of regretting going MSI now as this will be the third board. 1 my fault, 1 theirs 3rd times a charm.

Also there was a very recent Reddit post pretty much identical to your experience that I was reading yesterday.
That turned out to be the CPU, same board as yours.

I was lucky there are still a few brand new X470 boards left as I am running our of road with my 1600x should it go wrong again.

Really need to go to a 3600X.....

I'm holding the spares until I decide what to do. Either MM them or build another PC are my thoughts, but only had a fully working PC about 2 weeks, so being paranoid ..... ZERO BSOD's so far (say's he hugging the wooden desk while typing).

I went via OC for return as the parts were all from OC and less than 6 months old.

Soldato
Same with my GPU. OcUK were excellent and offered to deal with the RMA so I took them up on it. MSI were terrible.

Suspect Amazon being ginormous either have a differently structured deal or they're just writing off vast piles of untested returns.

Soldato
Are you sure it's not the CPU? Remember the memory controller is on the CPU, the only things on the motherboard is the memory traces and dimm slots. Probably not but you never know.

Soldato
OP
Are you sure it's not the CPU? Remember the memory controller is on the CPU, the only things on the motherboard is the memory traces and dimm slots. Probably not but you never know.

Yeah I did post in CPU's as well as I thought similar, however you are right and it was the CPU... however not the CPU's fault.

I saw a vague post about very similar problem to mine and someone suggested at the CPU cooler was to tight.. And yes, my CPU cooler was to tight...

So the original board was most likely OK but what is done is done.

System is fine, CPU and memory are more than happy after a 2 hour Prime95 session and RDR2 has run great all day.

So all my fault in the end.... Live and learn.

Soldato
mobo rma is EU - grab MSI from good reseller - specially if you hit 28days normally forces reseller to issue a new one and take it up with the vendor. Gigabyte is only one with UK RMA. MSI and the Rest for GPU are UK RMA though

Soldato
OP
mobo rma is EU - grab MSI from good reseller - specially if you hit 28days normally forces reseller to issue a new one and take it up with the vendor. Gigabyte is only one with UK RMA. MSI and the Rest for GPU are UK RMA though

Yeah It was bought from the rainforest and I had a new board the next day.
However CPU is off on holiday in the Netherlands to be replaced as AMD accepted the RMA.
:)

Soldato
Sorry to have to say this, but I really don't know why Ocuk behave like this, it's simple really, return the board to them, they test it, find it faulty, send you a replacement and then claim a replacement or a refund off their supplier, I don't know why they make you as the consumer wait, as long as it's under warranty, I don't see a problem, this is pretty much know any other shop you buy products from acts.

I had the same problem with an Asus monitor that I went to Stoke and brought over the counter, I got it home (1 hour drive) plugged it in and it had a thin red line right down the middle of the screen, I rang overclockers and they told me if have to go direct to Asus, I was discussted as the monitor was only an hour old, thankfully back then Asus had a place in Milton Keynes, not far from the gigabyte place, I rang them, explained the situation and they sent a rep out the same day with a fully working replacement, if I can find it cheaper elsewhere, I avoid overclockers due to their RMA service.

Soldato
OP
Sorry to have to say this, but I really don't know why Ocuk behave like this, it's simple really, return the board to them, they test it, find it faulty, send you a replacement and then claim a replacement or a refund off their supplier, I don't know why they make you as the consumer wait, as long as it's under warranty, I don't see a problem, this is pretty much know any other shop you buy products from acts.

I had the same problem with an Asus monitor that I went to Stoke and brought over the counter, I got it home (1 hour drive) plugged it in and it had a thin red line right down the middle of the screen, I rang overclockers and they told me if have to go direct to Asus, I was discussted as the monitor was only an hour old, thankfully back then Asus had a place in Milton Keynes, not far from the gigabyte place, I rang them, explained the situation and they sent a rep out the same day with a fully working replacement, if I can find it cheaper elsewhere, I avoid overclockers due to their RMA service.

Yeah as I said, It was bought from the "Rainforest", not OCUK and I had a new board the next day, less than 24 hours from reporting it to them. So from that perspective, it was flawless.

As for MSI, being told to go back to the supplier ultimately saved me loads of time.

Soldato
Yeah as I said, It was bought from the "Rainforest", not OCUK and I had a new board the next day, less than 24 hours from reporting it to them. So from that perspective, it was flawless.

As for MSI, being told to go back to the supplier ultimately saved me loads of time.

Yup thats pretty much who I use now too, happened twice to me with OCuk, once with the monitor and once with Superflower 1000w platinum PSU, it wont happen again.

Back
Top Bottom