DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
OK, I'll make this simple as you appear challenged by the situation.

The games given free with new laptops apply to GPU within the laptop, not the laptop itself. Have a look at comparable desktop GPU's and you'll see they have the same games free.

Most paid over the cost of an actual pascal GPU, so it's double the thumb in the eye from MSI to them.

And yeah, GT73VR with a 1070 'may' out perform my AORUS, but there's a feeling of reassurance of having a notebook from a company that has not mis-sold their products and then lied in the program meant to fix the mis-selling.

ok then yea i agree with you pal .. as it is a new GPU upgrade ..i should have seen it that way ..i was perhaps to tired to think ...

I really do think you should give the MSI a chance with that machine .. its just unreal ..its so powerful ..have you dealt with Gigabyte customer care ?

Associate
Don't forget the 6 months or so free subscription to WTF gpn :p also comes with the GT73VR 7RF :) I haven't redeemed the game or WTF gpn yet but it shows as available when I registered my serial number for warranty (don't forget to register for 3 months free 2 years + 3 months).

Still waiting for my accessory pack Neil promised though... I did drop him a text but no reply on the subject, I assume the laptop upgrade instead... however he did specifically say give him a call when I get the laptop and he will send a pack out, which hasn't happened.

Although I can't be bothered to speak to them again.... but I dropped my headset XD so would be kind of nice instead of buying a new one, but I doubt they are any good anyway...

Associate
OP
Still waiting for my accessory pack Neil promised though...

Mine arrived today.

I really do think you should give the MSI a chance with that machine .. its just unreal ..its so powerful ..have you dealt with Gigabyte customer care ?

No interest in even unboxing the GT73VR, I can't describe how ridiculously disappointed I am with MSI over this situation. Taking 6 months to achieve what they should have managed in less than 1 month.

Not yet dealt with Gigabyte/AORUS customer service, however, if I do it will likely be an RMA situation/repair rather than being mis-sold and then lied to/about.

MSI had my custom for years, I praised them on the forums here, I pointed people looking for gaming tech to them, I have brand loyalty and they screwed me (and anyone else that bought an affected notebook) for the last 6 months.

AORUS has my loyalty now, let's hope for the best.

Associate
Don't forget the 6 months or so free subscription to WTF gpn :p also comes with the GT73VR 7RF :) I haven't redeemed the game or WTF gpn yet but it shows as available when I registered my serial number for warranty (don't forget to register for 3 months free 2 years + 3 months).

Still waiting for my accessory pack Neil promised though... I did drop him a text but no reply on the subject, I assume the laptop upgrade instead... however he did specifically say give him a call when I get the laptop and he will send a pack out, which hasn't happened.

Although I can't be bothered to speak to them again.... but I dropped my headset XD so would be kind of nice instead of buying a new one, but I doubt they are any good anyway...

i know from my personal experience with the sabre headphones that came with my gt72 that theyre pretty good headsets, not the best, but still very good. also the new headset has the optional 7.1 feature i think.

i used to have a headset i got from alienware along time ago that have 5.1 dolby in the headset, they were really good. wish i still had them lol but if you get the new sabre headphones give it a chance theyre definitely worth a try.

also congrats to those that got the accessory pack, i was asking Natalie from the beginning for it but she said no go... but hopefully she can surprise me by saying its coming after they ship out my laptop.

Associate
i know from my personal experience with the sabre headphones that came with my gt72 that theyre pretty good headsets, not the best, but still very good. also the new headset has the optional 7.1 feature i think.

i used to have a headset i got from alienware along time ago that have 5.1 dolby in the headset, they were really good. wish i still had them lol but if you get the new sabre headphones give it a chance theyre definitely worth a try.

also congrats to those that got the accessory pack, i was asking Natalie from the beginning for it but she said no go... but hopefully she can surprise me by saying its coming after they ship out my laptop.

The bag is rubbish ..its rubbish for the Titan , as its the way the bag is made from the zip top and is a job getting in the bnag and then stopping it swaying in the bag due to being top heavy is another problem . i actually bought my bag for £50 as trhats all i wanted but i then bought the Everki Titan , and well its fit all my gaming gear and more and has to be the best notebook bag out there ..all be it its expensive at £150 ..

Associate
The bag is rubbish ..its rubbish for the Titan , as its the way the bag is made from the zip top and is a job getting in the bnag and then stopping it swaying in the bag due to being top heavy is another problem . i actually bought my bag for £50 as trhats all i wanted but i then bought the Everki Titan , and well its fit all my gaming gear and more and has to be the best notebook bag out there ..all be it its expensive at £150 ..

which bag did it come with? i still have my msi hermes bag that was a pretty good 1 for me with the gt72. i will take a look at the everki bag, as i do tend to go through my computer bags fairly frequently.

just got my 960 evo delivered :) so now im ready for the new gt73 to come, i will test it then swap out the ssd. i hope msi ships out the laptop soon, payment from my bank was confirmed sent yesterday, it might take msi bank till today to confirm, which should be done by now. so hopefully tomorrow or friday msi might ship the laptop im hoping lol i know theyre not like amazon with next day shipping, but hopefully it could happen lol

Associate
which bag did it come with? i still have my msi hermes bag that was a pretty good 1 for me with the gt72. i will take a look at the everki bag, as i do tend to go through my computer bags fairly frequently.

just got my 960 evo delivered :) so now im ready for the new gt73 to come, i will test it then swap out the ssd. i hope msi ships out the laptop soon, payment from my bank was confirmed sent yesterday, it might take msi bank till today to confirm, which should be done by now. so hopefully tomorrow or friday msi might ship the laptop im hoping lol i know theyre not like amazon with next day shipping, but hopefully it could happen lol

hay do a back up of the MSI and windows to save any trouble doing a complete refresh . some have had problems with installing new drives and then doing fresh installation on the MSI owners notebookreview forums .

this back pack :
MSI Gaming GT BattlePack Notebook Backpack - Black/Red Suitable For Notebooks Up To 18.4" Tear & Water Resistan

Associate
OP
This is what MSI USA is currently sending out to owners of GT72/s and GT80/s;

Hello!
Thank you for your interest in our MSI USA Trade-In-Program, only for US customer. There is no deadline for the trade-in applicants.
Program is for: GT80(s) and GT72(s) with GTX 9xx Series GPU
Trading in for: New GTxxVR Series laptop with GTX10xx Series GPU w/ 2 year Warranty

I wonder if MSI UK Notebook are going to try and stick to their imperative of only providing a 1 month window to UK owners to get involved in the trade-in?

Associate
This is what MSI USA is currently sending out to owners of GT72/s and GT80/s;

Hello!
Thank you for your interest in our MSI USA Trade-In-Program, only for US customer. There is no deadline for the trade-in applicants.
Program is for: GT80(s) and GT72(s) with GTX 9xx Series GPU
Trading in for: New GTxxVR Series laptop with GTX10xx Series GPU w/ 2 year Warranty

I wonder if MSI UK Notebook are going to try and stick to their imperative of only providing a 1 month window to UK owners to get involved in the trade-in?

They are, I mailed them in Feb to ask and after 2 weeks and me mailing them again they said sorry your too late.

I am being treated in hospital for an illness so I am unwell for long periods and unable to concentrate which is why I asked so late. Honestly I don't have the time or energy to waste fighting them on this!

Edit: I copied Neil on 3 emails I sent and didn't receive a reply from him to any of my mails.

Associate
Here is the response

Hi xxxxxxxxxxxx,

In October 2016 we were notified that customers who had purchased certain models of our GT72 notebooks with MXM upgradable graphics might have issues with upgrading due to the changing requirements for power and cooling.

Whilst we are aware that not every user might be affected by this issue or wish to make use of this feature we recognised that we had a responsibility to offer our users an alternative, to provide the same ability to upgrade to GTX 10 Series graphics.

Our response was to offer a trade-in program for those wishing to upgrade with MXM. This program was announced in early October and intended to close by the end of December 2016, this was then extended until January 31st 2017 to allow some latecomers to join the program. If your application was made before this date, please do contact us with more information so that we can investigate the issue. Any applications after that date will be beyond the deadline and not eligible for our trade-in agreement.

We understand that this is a complex issue with some of our users and we welcome feedback while we strive to improve not only our technology but our service to our customers.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

MSI UK Notebook

Associate
OP
The program was announced on the 30th November 2016

zvt0GjE.png

Unless someone can point to an earlier public posting of this?

Last edited:
Associate
hay do a back up of the MSI and windows to save any trouble doing a complete refresh . some have had problems with installing new drives and then doing fresh installation on the MSI owners notebookreview forums .

this back pack :
MSI Gaming GT BattlePack Notebook Backpack - Black/Red Suitable For Notebooks Up To 18.4" Tear & Water Resistan

i will say the outside of the bag looks good, but the inside how to divide things up is a mess.

yes i will do a fresh backup, before i swap the hard drives. fresh install shouldnt be a problem as i already have a license for windows 10 pro. its only the drivers that are an issue, such as my previous gt72 came with a mouse and for some reason the gt72 always had problems with that mouse which was provided by MSI. but i have no issues witht the mouse on other systems and the drivers also. i narrowed down the problem to a conflict of the scm and the mouse driver, or possibly a hardware issue with the gt72, i never did fix it lol the only problem was the os would stop recognizing the mouse and i would have to unplug and replug again.

but i think i will consider gettin the everki next time i need a new bag.

im also really curious about how much i can overclock the gt73 as the cooling system seems to be really good from most of the reviews ive seen.

my payment should have cleared into MSI accounts already, so now the waiting game of the shipping label/confirmation. i hope they send it out soon.

Associate
They are, I mailed them in Feb to ask and after 2 weeks and me mailing them again they said sorry your too late.

I am being treated in hospital for an illness so I am unwell for long periods and unable to concentrate which is why I asked so late. Honestly I don't have the time or energy to waste fighting them on this!

Edit: I copied Neil on 3 emails I sent and didn't receive a reply from him to any of my mails.

Rubbish, just keep posting on twitter/facebook feeds.

They shouldn't be allowed to limit and if they are, then ask for a full refund from the retailer that sold you it due to false advertising make sure you copy neil etc in this email to your retailer.

I think also due to special circumstances your in, they should make an exception anyway, but I believe in the eyes of advertising laws you should be entiled to a full refund, graphics upgrade or a replacement upgraded laptop with no time limit.

For a start they didn't email their customers to make them aware only posted a couple things on their feeds...

Associate
Here is the response

first im sorry for your current health issues, i hope you will improve quickly.

was your laptop registered with MSI?
did MSI send you any contact emails?
is your laptop within 2 year warranty?
are you located in the UK?

if your in the UK i agree with Misjah this was the official statement from MSI regarding this program for the UK.

The program was announced on the 30th November 2016

zvt0GjE.png

Unless someone can point to an earlier public posting of this?

if you were registered and did not receive an email "my laptop was registered with msi and i didn't get an email about the upgrade program" , then i would say its kinda bs that they wouldnt let you participate, as long as your within the 2 year warranty.

try to email uknotebook att Natalie she might be able to help, she seems very nice and dedicated to her work.
Rubbish, just keep posting on twitter/facebook feeds.

They shouldn't be allowed to limit and if they are, then ask for a full refund from the retailer that sold you it due to false advertising make sure you copy neil etc in this email to your retailer.

I think also due to special circumstances your in, they should make an exception anyway, but I believe in the eyes of advertising laws you should be entiled to a full refund, graphics upgrade or a replacement upgraded laptop with no time limit.

For a start they didn't email their customers to make them aware only posted a couple things on their feeds...

agreed with above from tropicola, if all else fails you have the last resort of a full refund from the original retailer.

Associate
Thanks all for the info and advice, if I thought this was a simple process I would do it but having read some of this thread I don't think it will be, I have other priorities that must come before this.

Thanks again.

Associate
Thanks all for the info and advice, if I thought this was a simple process I would do it but having read some of this thread I don't think it will be, I have other priorities that must come before this.

Thanks again.

good luck, and i hope your health improves...

Associate
My problem is trivial, i have sent my payment on monday the 6th, but the bank couldnt post it till the 7th or 8th. my bank confirmed payment sent 7th of march. i sent Natalie an email telling her i made a mistake and forgot to put a reference on my payment, she was nice and said she will let the accounting/payment team know. I sent Natalie an email this morning for a status update on whats going on with confirmation of payment received/found and when the new laptop will be shipped. I hope to hear back soon.
I know MSI isn't amazon but with amazon i could have gotten the laptop by now. I'm just going crazy with anticipation of the new machine, now that i made the payment its made it harder for me to be patient lol i got new parts for the laptop just waiting to be used, and games waiting to be downloaded, i can hear them in the back of my mind saying play me play me lol

im expecting realistically probably getting the new laptop next friday the 17th,i wouldnt think it should take longer, but im hoping for a speedier result.

Associate
Hello all well heres a royal mess up with my payment to MSI. this is a mistake i made not MSI and its going to cost me around 250 extra because i sent a payment of euros to the iban account for gbp :( msi bank rejected the payment because of it, and charged me 75 euro for the mistake. so now i have to pay another 30 for may bank to send it urgent payment, then have to cover the 75 euros that was taken, and this will delay my laptop probably about a week, because the bank payment will probably be confirmed on wed by msi then however long it takes them to ship it to me.... dang it my fault and its really upset me. god i just want the damm laptop and be done with this mess.

this was my fault, and now i have to pay the consequences

Caporegime
My problem is trivial, i have sent my payment on monday the 6th, but the bank couldnt post it till the 7th or 8th. my bank confirmed payment sent 7th of march. i sent Natalie an email telling her i made a mistake and forgot to put a reference on my payment, she was nice and said she will let the accounting/payment team know. I sent Natalie an email this morning for a status update on whats going on with confirmation of payment received/found and when the new laptop will be shipped. I hope to hear back soon.
I know MSI isn't amazon but with amazon i could have gotten the laptop by now. I'm just going crazy with anticipation of the new machine, now that i made the payment its made it harder for me to be patient lol i got new parts for the laptop just waiting to be used, and games waiting to be downloaded, i can hear them in the back of my mind saying play me play me lol

im expecting realistically probably getting the new laptop next friday the 17th,i wouldnt think it should take longer, but im hoping for a speedier result.
Hello all well heres a royal mess up with my payment to MSI. this is a mistake i made not MSI and its going to cost me around 250 extra because i sent a payment of euros to the iban account for gbp :( msi bank rejected the payment because of it, and charged me 75 euro for the mistake. so now i have to pay another 30 for may bank to send it urgent payment, then have to cover the 75 euros that was taken, and this will delay my laptop probably about a week, because the bank payment will probably be confirmed on wed by msi then however long it takes them to ship it to me.... dang it my fault and its really upset me. god i just want the damm laptop and be done with this mess.

this was my fault, and now i have to pay the consequences

That is indeed an shame but what do you expect if you are working yourself up into such an obsessive frenzy? If you are so nervously hyped then you will rush things, not pay full attention to what you're doing, and that is how (expensive) mistakes such as this happen.

Relax, take some deep breaths, and once your new payment is finalized take some more deep breaths and put some of energy into other things. This may be important to you, but it isn't life or death.

Back
Top Bottom