DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
Well I have had a reply tonight, both from HID and Amazon. Amazon have basically said it was sold through them by a seller so they are not liable for any warranty, but they have emailed HID and asked them to try and work something out. HID emailed back within 30 minutes of this with the following;
MSI's solution to the lack of an upgrade kit for your laptop was the trade up program. Again, I understand your disappointment with the program, and it's unfortunate, but that is their solution and we need to accept it as such.

I have read both the Sale of Goods Act 1979 and Consumer Rights Act 2015 (successor to the Sale of Goods Act) and there are three standards that need to be met for sold products - products must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and as described. Did the product arrive faulty? We did not receive any reports of such, so the goods are of "satisfactory quality". Is it safe to assume you used your laptop for its intended purpose for the last 2 years? That would mean it was "fit for purpose". And the product was "as described" per the original product listing below: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Z9ISH3A

The goal of the Consumer Rights Act is to protect consumers against faulty and not as described goods at time of delivery, not for a marketing promise that may or may not be realized. For example, it would apply if the product came with 16GB RAM instead of 32GB, or if it arrived DOA out of the box.

unfortunately we are unable to approve a return for refund. We would be happy to help you inquire about a trade up with MSI USA. Please let me know if you would like to move forward.

Thank you

So they have basically said the same as their previous email. From my first read through I think he is saying that the sales of goods does not cover the advert as I have used it for its intended purpose for the last 2 years. I'm confused.

Associate
OP
I would email back stating that MSI advertised that the laptop had MXM upgradable GPU on it's main webpage (I have numerous copies if if required, and you can use waybackmachine to view historic webpages), however the contract is between you and the reseller. The manufacturer advertised this feature, the feature is not available. Return to reseller for a full refund as per your rights, it's for them to take up with the manufacturer.

Edit: Waybackmachine link - https://web.archive.org/web/2016100...top/gt72-2qe-dominator-pro.html#hero-overview

iobUhhd.png

Last edited:
Associate
wow

"The goal of the Consumer Rights Act is to protect consumers against faulty and not as described goods at time of delivery, not for a marketing promise that may or may not be realized. For example, it would apply if the product came with 16GB RAM instead of 32GB, or if it arrived DOA out of the box."

that's absolute rubbish!

IF THEY SAY ON THE BOX UPGRADES TO 1080GTX THEN THEY HAVE TO HONOUR IT NOT MATTER IF IT IS IN 1 YEAR OR 2 YEARS, it's called false advertising. THis was a selling point of the product not a marketing promise, it was 2 generations of GPU upgrade, not "oh you might get it you might not". It was probably the single most important factor of purchasing a laptop over desktop and msi over other brands for me and many others, you can't do that get your customer then not honour what you advertised.

Listen if anyone gives you any crap, just go to small claims, send them an invoice for full refund or film yourself with a gopro at their headoffice then upload to youtube saying this is how they cheat/con their customers and I bet you will get a refund/upgrade no questions asked

please don't listen to someone that tells you rubbish in order to keep their relationship between supply/manufacter/seller, ofc they all going to stick together. many of us go revised prices or even free upgrades to higher models for same prices etc, THEY SIMPLY WOULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS UNLESS THEY THOUGHT YOU WOULD WIN IN COURT.

DO NOT BACK DOWN FROM MSI, THE RETAILER OR THE MIDDLE MAN, hold them all accountable threaten to not purchase from amazon, msi etc or whoever else is involved. share your opinions on forums and make sure less people get sucker punched by MSI next time.

hopefully they have learnt HARD from this and seen a dip in their sales

also doesn't matter if your outside warranty, the description of the deal didn't say upgradeable to 2 series (WITHIN YOUR WARRANTY). this should NOT affect it, also you have up to 6 years right with certain consumer acts (read a few posts above).

I SIMPLY CAN NOT BELEIVE THERE ARE PEOPLE WITHOUT A DECENT TRADE IN DEAL OR FULL REFUND ALMOST 1 YEAR LATER THAN THIS THREAD! WTF MSI?!

Associate
I have emailed amazon who got back to me within 3 hours and told me that as the item was sold via a reseller on their site, there was nothing they could do for me, however they emailed HID directly (cc'd me) and told them to sort me out. HID then emailed me back within 30 minutes of receiving the Amazon email. They are still standing by them not refunding or replacing the laptop and say that MSI's response was the trade in program. Even though i have told them i had crappy quotes from the UK scheme i may be interested in a trade in if the price of upgrade to similar specced GT73VR was reasonable. Not really ideal as i was hoping to maybe get out of the whole MSI thing completely, but something may be better talking to a brick wall about my consumer rights. I have asked them to deal with MSI directly for me and am now awaiting a reply. If the quotes they come back with are less than satisfactory then i will have to take it a step further with small claims court proceedings. I've never done anything like this before and juggling this, 2 kids and a 9 hour work day is pretty stressful, so i am kind of hoping it doesn't get to that point.
Just looked at the specs of the new GT73VR 7RF and it sounds pretty good tbh, and i see no mention or upgradable graphics this time round. Will keep you posted.

Associate
OP
I have emailed amazon who got back to me within 3 hours and told me that as the item was sold via a reseller on their site, there was nothing they could do for me, however they emailed HID directly (cc'd me) and told them to sort me out. HID then emailed me back within 30 minutes of receiving the Amazon email. They are still standing by them not refunding or replacing the laptop and say that MSI's response was the trade in program.

Ask them whom your purchase contract was with, themselves or MSI. (We know it was with them, so they are responsible/liable).

Even though i have told them i had crappy quotes from the UK scheme i may be interested in a trade in if the price of upgrade to similar specced GT73VR was reasonable. Not really ideal as i was hoping to maybe get out of the whole MSI thing completely, but something may be better talking to a brick wall about my consumer rights. I have asked them to deal with MSI directly for me and am now awaiting a reply. If the quotes they come back with are less than satisfactory then i will have to take it a step further with small claims court proceedings. I've never done anything like this before and juggling this, 2 kids and a 9 hour work day is pretty stressful, so i am kind of hoping it doesn't get to that point.
Just looked at the specs of the new GT73VR 7RF and it sounds pretty good tbh, and i see no mention or upgradable graphics this time round. Will keep you posted.

Let's make some things clear about the trade in scam MSI UK Notebook ran.

They offered people trading from the same notebook to the same notebook different prices.
They charged people trading from better notebooks more than those trading from 'b' grade notebooks.

I traded from a 'B' grade GT72 2QE that I bought from OcUK for £1,100:

92Knarh.png

to a GT73VR 7RF for sub £500:

TVcRK8V.png

Now here's a thing, MSI UK Notebook implied they would prefer I did not disclose the cost of my upgrade so I have censored the full price. As you can see it is 3 figures ending 65. And it is sub £500.

I have all the originally documents, so if MSI UK Notebook call me out on this then I will be happy to share them.

So @slashformayor, anything more than this would be an insult in comparison to what they have given to others.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

:)

Soldato
The Amazon seller he purchased from import grey US models, if anything this should be covered under the US trade in program. The Amazon seller should be responsible for shipping it to/from the US.

Associate
either way bad of amazon to pass the buck, it was on their site surely they have a responsibility to ensure you reach a satisfactory resolution? i know its annoying and trolly but have you tried their social media platforms? usually only way to get a decent result these days....

either way;

1. lump it, pay for trade in, get the 7rf model, sell it buy another brand....
2. lump it pay for trade in, use the laptop its actually pretty decent other than said issues and **** customer service.
3. small claims court (you will 99% win imo and many others).
4. keep ringing neil daily he loves a chat :) @natarie also hi!! :)

Associate
HID have passed m onto their support team, which looks as though are in the USA? and after trying for 2 hours this morning to login into their support page, have come to the conclusion that they have not created my account, as the password does not work, and there is no account associated with my email address. I have sent 2 emails replies to the address the password came from asking for help, with no reply. I have since sent an email through Amazon to the contact i have been speaking to, and still no reply. It has been nearly 6 hours and all i want to do is give my serial number. Fed up of being fobbed off and passed around.

either way bad of amazon to pass the buck, it was on their site surely they have a responsibility to ensure you reach a satisfactory resolution? i know its annoying and trolly but have you tried their social media platforms? usually only way to get a decent result these days....

either way;

1. lump it, pay for trade in, get the 7rf model, sell it buy another brand....
2. lump it pay for trade in, use the laptop its actually pretty decent other than said issues and **** customer service.
3. small claims court (you will 99% win imo and many others).
4. keep ringing neil daily he loves a chat :) @natarie also hi!! :)
I'm leaning towards option 1 at the minute, but i don't even know how long it will take to get that far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
forgot to add to option 1. NEVER PURCHASE MSI AGAIN XD

and tbh it took us over 6 months to get prices we were not happy with but willing to pay to get it resolved. safe to say MSI never getting a penny of my money again. Next laptop I purchase I'm also going to research to ensure none of the components are manufactured/designed by MSI or any of its subsidiaries.

Associate
To be honest
Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thank you MiSJAH. I wanted to get the ball rolling with this before i went away next week, but HID are really dragging their heels. It took me 2 days just to send my serial number, and a further 24 hours until they actually acknowledged they had got it (after i asked them to respond). I'm guessing i have been palmed off to HID's US customer service, as reply times are either late at night or early morning. All in all, it's turned into a bit of a faff, and i am now i the hands of the resellers customer service, and have been told to wait 2-3 days for a reply. If i do not get a satisfactory resolution by the end of next week i will be taking matters further.

Associate
So @slashformayor, anything more than this would be an insult in comparison to what they have given to others.

Had a reply back, here is what they have offered:
"The closest matching spec laptop would be GT73VR TITAN PRO 4K-867 for $1150, that will be arriving at August. If you want to choose a different model, you may do so by looking at the previous chart for price. You can easily find out the spec of the model by searching it on the web.

We cannot not do Crossover exchange option because we do not ship out of the US. I believe HID Evolution will be our middle man to handle this shipping. We will need to receive you laptop first, and HID Evolution will forward the package to you.

How will this payment be handled? Do we charge HIDevolution or xxxx ?

Thank you for choosing MSI!"

Wth! Converted that comes to £885! So now how do I play this. Shall I tell them not to bother as their trade in cost is a disgrace and tell them I will be going through small claims? Thanks for the advise people.

Associate
Had a reply back, here is what they have offered:
"The closest matching spec laptop would be GT73VR TITAN PRO 4K-867 for $1150, that will be arriving at August. If you want to choose a different model, you may do so by looking at the previous chart for price. You can easily find out the spec of the model by searching it on the web.

We cannot not do Crossover exchange option because we do not ship out of the US. I believe HID Evolution will be our middle man to handle this shipping. We will need to receive you laptop first, and HID Evolution will forward the package to you.

How will this payment be handled? Do we charge HIDevolution or xxxx ?

Thank you for choosing MSI!"

Wth! Converted that comes to £885! So now how do I play this. Shall I tell them not to bother as their trade in cost is a disgrace and tell them I will be going through small claims? Thanks for the advise people.

tbh its ok laptop if your looking to settle, but that price little too high considering what it should have cost for a upgrade + sell your old CPU i would haggle with them, i had a 980m gt72 2qe i think and swapped to gt73vr 7rf titan pro 120hz model 32gb ram 512 for less than you paid so for sure haggle them....

or go small claims if you don't want to pay, but consider this, to upgrade you would have paid something? so how much would that have been total - sell old card? then that should be the amount you are happy to pay for upgrading to 1080 as advertised. the other options like 4k panel and new cpu lalalalalala is just a bonus and should be a gesture of good will from msi.

EDIT: some companies might have just though oop crap we made a boo boo lets just send them laptops take the old ones back sell them cut our loses and ensure it never happens again.

but we also should just cut our loses pay the upgrade if you want to get that (AT A FAIR PRICE nothing more, nothing less, I;m against compensation cultures etc I just want a fair deal etc) and then talk with our money by purchasing a different brand next time if you have lost faith in MSI to deliver what they advertise on the box.

Associate
OP
I completely agree with @tropicola the price to pay should be the cost of the new gpu less the value of your existing gpu.

Or take the reseller to the small claims court and post the verdict on as many forums as you can find ;)

MSI advertised the feature, MSI do not sell to consumers, the reseller is responsible for the contract with the customer.

Associate
So am I asking if this their best price? (Which they will say yes). I've looked at the specs on their website and it does seem like a respectable model, but £885 is still a lot of money to pay for an upgrade, approx. 40% of the original laptop price only 2 years later!

Associate
OP
So am I asking if this their best price? (Which they will say yes). I've looked at the specs on their website and it does seem like a respectable model, but £885 is still a lot of money to pay for an upgrade, approx. 40% of the original laptop price only 2 years later!

What model do you have at present?

Ask them why someone with a 'B' grade laptop was given a better upgrade deal.

If you paid with a bank card charge it back.

Go to small claims court, if you need documentation I have plenty.

Associate
idk what model you have but for me

it was this'

980m card selling on ebay approx. £300-350 at the time second hand cards, SOLD PRICES.

New card should be approx. what £600? Can fit it yourself but lets say you got the "upgrade" from MSI and they did it might be a bit of labour perhaps idk....

remember any other upgrade to the laptop should not be paid for, MSI should be offering this as a gesture of goodwill for their mistake.

therefore I could estimate you should pay between £300-500 MAXIMUM for a 980 to 1080 upgrade, REGARDLESS of the condition of your laptop, as that would NOT have matter with an "update" they didn't offer a "TRADE IN PROGRAM" when I bought it....

whilst Im not sure we can reveal the prices we paid (I didn't sign any waiver I think, but I'll read it back) I can say I deffo paid less than 800 XD lmao seen you coming if you pay that XD

Associate
idk what model you have but for me

it was this'

980m card selling on ebay approx. £300-350 at the time second hand cards, SOLD PRICES.

New card should be approx. what £600? Can fit it yourself but lets say you got the "upgrade" from MSI and they did it might be a bit of labour perhaps idk....

remember any other upgrade to the laptop should not be paid for, MSI should be offering this as a gesture of goodwill for their mistake.

therefore I could estimate you should pay between £300-500 MAXIMUM for a 980 to 1080 upgrade, REGARDLESS of the condition of your laptop, as that would NOT have matter with an "update" they didn't offer a "TRADE IN PROGRAM" when I bought it....

whilst Im not sure we can reveal the prices we paid (I didn't sign any waiver I think, but I'll read it back) I can say I deffo paid less than 800 XD lmao seen you coming if you pay that XD
What model do you have at present?

Ask them why someone with a 'B' grade laptop was given a better upgrade deal.

If you paid with a bank card charge it back.

Go to small claims court, if you need documentation I have plenty.
Taken directly from the Amazon sale page:
"5th Generation Intel® CoreTM i7-5700HQ Processor, 2.7 GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.5GHz), 6MB Smart Cache
nVIDIA® GeForceTM GTX 980M 256bit w/ 8.0GB GDDR5 - DX11
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 bit (FREE upgrade to Windows 10 upon release)
17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Antiglare LED backlit LCD Display w/ G-SYNC enabled and MSI True Color Technology
32GB DDR3L 1600 MHz System Memory (4 x 8GB) - 4 Memory Slots
256GB "Super RAID" Dual SSD (2 x 128GB M.2 SATA3 6Gb/s SSD) (Main) - installed by HIDevolution + 1TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s Hard Drive (Storage)
Tray Load Dual Layer DVD Writer (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
720p Web Camera
KillerTM Wireless-AC N1525 ac/a/g/n 2x2 NGFF With Bluetooth 4.0
Backlit Steelseries Programmable Gaming Keyboard (US English), Programmable Touchpad
Dynaudio Tech Speakers w/ Subwoofer and Nahimic Audio
High Capacity 9-cell Lithium Ion Battery
A/C Adapter Output: 230W, Input: 100-240V - WILL WORK WORLDWIDE
2 Year Limited Warranty"
I'm guessing pretty much the same models as yours. Mine had a hard drive upgrade and also was not B grade. I paid £2033 for it in August 2015. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom