DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
OP
Thanks.

You know what annoys me, I mailed them asking and they said sorry it finished, now they've extended it you would have thought they'd maybe advise me?!?!?

I hit Natalie up and asked her to respond to the questions here but she was in a van going to insomnia so couldn't post.

(She also mentioned she doesn't get notifications when tagged in these forums).

I think a mass email campaign from anyone still waiting/wanting to trade, asking them to post a statement in this thread could be helpful.

Associate
I'll have a go at emailing that address now, since the regular support said someone would be in touch (over a week ago, mind you) and no such thing has happened.

Option one for me would be a partial refund.
Option two for me would be for MSI to exchange for a lower-tier, 15.6" laptop, which would probably be better for MSI? I doubt they'd take such an offer though.

Most likely I feel as if small-claims court & trading standards might be the only language spoken for matters like these.

Associate
I'll have a go at emailing that address now, since the regular support said someone would be in touch (over a week ago, mind you) and no such thing has happened.

Option one for me would be a partial refund.
Option two for me would be for MSI to exchange for a lower-tier, 15.6" laptop, which would probably be better for MSI? I doubt they'd take such an offer though.

Most likely I feel as if small-claims court & trading standards might be the only language spoken for matters like these.

Try CC the below in your emails, see if that helps :)

Chris Gough ‎UK Notebook Marketing Manager at MSI
Carolyn N Huang Notebook Product Manager

I'm sure you can figure out the emails, anyway this information is available publicly probably....

Associate
Just letting people who have helped, or were follwing this know that this is still ongoing for me. I have been asked by Loki to not repost my replies onto the thread, which i have honoured so far, because i was happy for the assistance. However, my case (even though i am told it is 'special' due to me being a UK customer but having a US model laptop) does not seem to warrant any 'special' attention, as i have not heard any new information for weeks. I am left with an options i posted last.
@MiSJAH i have no idea how you managed to get the model you did, when you did. Looking online, that particular model you were offered is retailing for anywhere from £2500 upto £3000 depending on retailer. Now having a laptop that was worth half that and only paying what you did, i still have no idea why i am expected to pay upto £580 for a model that is inferior to the one you were offered, and my machine was brand new and worth £2000 when ordered.
Really i have to give this a time limit of another week or so before i contact trading standards/small claims/class action etc, because the i cannot see the funny side anymore. I have never felt so fobbed off by a companies support staff, hell even the company itself. This goes for HiD as well as MSI, and Amazon should make it clear to anyone ordering from people like this as to what they are getting; grey import machine with little to no support should anything like this go wrong.
£2000 is a lot of money to most people, i am no exception. All i want is what i paid (over the odds) for in the first place.

Associate
Try CC the below in your emails, see if that helps :)

Chris Gough ‎UK Notebook Marketing Manager at MSI
Carolyn N Huang Notebook Product Manager

I'm sure you can figure out the emails, anyway this information is available publicly probably....

Just letting people who have helped, or were follwing this know that this is still ongoing for me. I have been asked by Loki to not repost my replies onto the thread, which i have honoured so far, because i was happy for the assistance. However, my case (even though i am told it is 'special' due to me being a UK customer but having a US model laptop) does not seem to warrant any 'special' attention, as i have not heard any new information for weeks. I am left with an options i posted last.
@MiSJAH i have no idea how you managed to get the model you did, when you did. Looking online, that particular model you were offered is retailing for anywhere from £2500 upto £3000 depending on retailer. Now having a laptop that was worth half that and only paying what you did, i still have no idea why i am expected to pay upto £580 for a model that is inferior to the one you were offered, and my machine was brand new and worth £2000 when ordered.
Really i have to give this a time limit of another week or so before i contact trading standards/small claims/class action etc, because the i cannot see the funny side anymore. I have never felt so fobbed off by a companies support staff, hell even the company itself. This goes for HiD as well as MSI, and Amazon should make it clear to anyone ordering from people like this as to what they are getting; grey import machine with little to no support should anything like this go wrong.
£2000 is a lot of money to most people, i am no exception. All i want is what i paid (over the odds) for in the first place.

Situation seems to be getting worse and worse it seems. I wanted to put a 1060 in my GT72S 6QE but alas, that clearly isn't going to happen.

I would hope MSI would allow me to pay £100-200 to exchange for some sort of 1060 equipped 15.6" laptop, but I don't see that happening, I'd even accept a 1050Ti at this point because the GT72S is just a bundle of problems for me and is currently being used as an amazon video machine for my Grandmother.

Not interested in paying £300+ for something equally as inconvenient, considering my GT72S broke twice and took multiple months to get repaired/replaced.

Edit: Still no response after almost three weeks.

This is becoming ludicrous.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Hi @slashformayor , I got the deal after taking the time (6 bloody months) to explain to MSI that I would not pay more than the cost of an MXM upgrade, as per their published notice for the Trade/upgrade scheme. So maximum of £500.

Let's be clear the total cost of upgrade should be no more than the cost of the new GPU less the cost of your existing GPU, with no loss of features in the new machine.

Let's quote MSI:
MSI UK Notebook said:
MSI Insists on Perfection of User Experience
UK Pascal Trade-Upgrade Program
MSI always strives to achieve the most innovative designs and the best user experience with its gaming notebooks, especially on the flagship level products, the GT series. We strive for reliability, stability and durability in all of our products and in all of our users’ experiences.
We use our MXM removable graphics card design to prevent heat transfer to the motherboard, to make repairs or replacements to the card more easily, and to give our users the opportunity to upgrade from GeForce® GTX 8 series to GeForce® GTX 9 series, thanks to both GPUs being of Maxwell Core design with the same signal and output interface.
The MXM graphics card layout of the GeForce GTX 10 series was a completely new core design called “Pascal,” which has significant changes in terms of signal design, interface design and power consumption. In addition, we observed problems with software compatibility and found that beta drivers are the only option. Based on our design of the GT72 4xx series and 6xx series and the GT80 series, implementing an MXM upgrade to the GTX 10 series would require, among other things, a new MXM module, cooling module, and display panel, and likely result in unsatisfactory display (either flickering or no display at all).
The most cost effective way to upgrade to our GTX 10 series and achieve performance gain, stability and reliability is to participate in our trade-upgrade program, through which users of the GT72 and GT80 with GeForces® GTX 8 and 9 series can upgrade to a brand new current generation GeForce® GTX 10 series laptop by trading in their existing qualifying* product. This upgrade will allow users to enjoy the latest MSI features, such as Cooler Boost and Dragon Center, and is available at costs comparable to previous MXM upgrades.
*This trade-upgrade program is available only for users in the UK and is subject to certain limitations. For more information regarding the UK trade-upgrade program, please contact: [email protected]. For users in other countries, please contact your local MSI branch.
Please note - if you have already contacted us - your request is being looked into and you will receive a reply before the 21st of December with details of what you can upgrade too. If you have NOT already contacted us, then please email [email protected].
This will be the only trade in program available for your 9xx GPU to 10 series GPU. It's imperative that you register your interest before the 31st of December.
No other solution will be offered at this time.
The MSI UK NOTEBOOK Team.

OK, so the highlighted text suggests the associated costs for anyone trading from GPU GTX 9**M to GTX 10** should be the same. 970M to 1080 should cost anyone with those cards the same. Anyone with a 980M trading to a notebook with a 1080 should not pay more than I did, yet the prices quoted to us all are vastly different (I have numerous copies of the Trade in offers made to various GT owners).

My guess would be that MSI thought I/this thread would die a death after my trade. Hmmmm, not so.

I'm waiting for the Volta GPU release, because if MSI USA Notebook offer this as an option I will be taking MSI UK Notebook to the small claims court as I have emails from Loki/Neil advising that this was not available as an option. @Loki if you want to discuss this feel free to get in touch directly, you have my contact details.

Situation seems to be getting worse and worse it seems. I wanted to put a 1060 in my GT72S 6QE but alas, that clearly isn't going to happen.

I would hope MSI would allow me to pay £100-200 to exchange for some sort of 1060 equipped 15.6" laptop, but I don't see that happening, I'd even accept a 1050Ti at this point because the GT72S is just a bundle of problems for me and is currently being used as an amazon video machine for my Grandmother.

Not interested in paying £300+ for something equally as inconvenient, considering my GT72S broke twice and took multiple months to get repaired/replaced.

Edit: Still no response after almost three weeks.

This is becoming ludicrous.

The GT72S upgrade to the GTX 1060 is possible. You would need to source the correct type of MXM 1060 (I have contacts if you want and links on how to make the upgrade?).

3dmark_Fire_Strike.png

^^^MSI-GT72 2QD - i7 4720HQ - 24GB RAM - 500GB 850 Evo & 1TB 7200rpm - Intel 8260AC - GTX 1060 ^^^

Associate
Hi @slashformayor

The GT72S upgrade to the GTX 1060 is possible. You would need to source the correct type of MXM 1060 (I have contacts if you want and links on how to make the upgrade?).

^^^MSI-GT72 2QD - i7 4720HQ - 24GB RAM - 500GB 850 Evo & 1TB 7200rpm - Intel 8260AC - GTX 1060 ^^^

I'd like such an upgrade, but at the same time I find it pathetic that I would have to go outside of MSI to get one when it was advertised that they'd be selling their own upgrades. Optimally i'd still go for a trade-in with a 15.6" laptop with even a 1050, because frankly the 17.3" behemoth wasn't the best choice as a college gift as it's so huge to carry around all day. :rolleyes:

Associate
Hi @slashformayor , I got the deal after taking the time (6 bloody months) to explain to MSI that I would not pay more than the cost of an MXM upgrade, as per their published notice for the Trade/upgrade scheme. So maximum of £500.

Let's be clear the total cost of upgrade should be no more than the cost of the new GPU less the cost of your existing GPU, with no loss of features in the new machine.

Let's quote MSI:

OK, so the highlighted text suggests the associated costs for anyone trading from GPU GTX 9**M to GTX 10** should be the same. 970M to 1080 should cost anyone with those cards the same. Anyone with a 980M trading to a notebook with a 1080 should not pay more than I did, yet the prices quoted to us all are vastly different (I have numerous copies of the Trade in offers made to various GT owners).

My guess would be that MSI thought I/this thread would die a death after my trade. Hmmmm, not so.

I'm waiting for the Volta GPU release, because if MSI USA Notebook offer this as an option I will be taking MSI UK Notebook to the small claims court as I have emails from Loki/Neil advising that this was not available as an option. @Loki if you want to discuss this feel free to get in touch directly, you have my contact details.

I think the problem is that my machine has to be dealt with MSI US, even though i live in the UK, bought the machine from Amazon UK via HiD UK. Nothing in the listing is shown as the laptop being an import, and recently via an exchange with my point of contact at MSI US, my machine is also classed as 'B' grade, just like yours! Even though, again, this was not expressly shown on the listing when purchased! I have asked HiD to confirm if this is correct, and i am waiting for a call back from them now, because if this is the case, then either HiD mis-sold the laptop as being new, or MSI US are giving me a bogus deal due to my laptop being classed as 'B' grade.
Either way, this whole situation is a pain in the backside for everyone involved, and all i will say is that for anyone buying an MSI laptop, especially through the likes of HiD, make sure check if it is a genuine UK model or an import. Apparently, this is perfectly acceptable as long as the power adapter supplied is correct for the country of sale, which mine is, but when it come to aftersales support, your walking into a total crap shoot.

@Loki reached out to me over 2 weeks ago (nearly 3) and said he would enquire within MSI UK to see if he could push for them to take the trade in, however, as per most MSI communications, i have basically been left with mostly silence. I am no further forward than i was nearly 3 months ago when i started this. I'm not sure what Ted at HiD will have to say, but i'm hoping for a phonecall back this afternoon at some point.

Also, as for the second gen trade in, i have it in writing that MSI US will honour my trade in if i wish to wait until the Volta upgrade. At this point in time, if i am unable to get a refund (highly unlikely at this point) then i may as well wait until Volta, pay the trade in price (most likely extortionate) and sell the thing on to get most of my money back, then put it all down to a life lesson and spread the word that MSI are just conning gits out to get your money and stuff everthing else.

@MiSJAH If you want a copy of my email as proof for the wait for Volta i am happy to provide it for you.

Associate
I've spoken to Ted from HiD yesterday evening, he phoned me (from the US). He has advised that the $750 option outlined above seems to be the sweet spot, and that when they were supplying 980m upgrade kits for 880m machines, they were priced at $880. Not that any of that is relevant to me.

I am still waiting to hear what @Loki finds out regarding MSI UK taking on my trade in, but i've not heard from him in 3 weeks.

Waiting for Volta could be an option for me, i have this in writing, however, i will need to find out if my machine will devalue futher, meaning a higher price plus trade in of my old machine. Although i'm thinking of just selling up without even opening the box, but i would still only get 60-70% of the laptop value this way as i'm not a vendor.

So i have all these options available to me, but they are all not as good as i had hoped. As this has gone on for so long now i really just want to see the back of it.

Associate
I've spoken to Ted from HiD yesterday evening, he phoned me (from the US). He has advised that the $750 option outlined above seems to be the sweet spot, and that when they were supplying 980m upgrade kits for 880m machines, they were priced at $880. Not that any of that is relevant to me.

I am still waiting to hear what @Loki finds out regarding MSI UK taking on my trade in, but i've not heard from him in 3 weeks.

Waiting for Volta could be an option for me, i have this in writing, however, i will need to find out if my machine will devalue futher, meaning a higher price plus trade in of my old machine. Although i'm thinking of just selling up without even opening the box, but i would still only get 60-70% of the laptop value this way as i'm not a vendor.

So i have all these options available to me, but they are all not as good as i had hoped. As this has gone on for so long now i really just want to see the back of it.

Have you considered contacting trading standards?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

If multiple people do this, it may speed things up, as multiple people including myself are seemingly just being ignored via email.

Associate
If don't hear anything by the end of the week I'll send them a letter before action and take it the small claims court. It's pretty clear what has happened and the amount of compensation can be derived from the threads like this.

Associate
If don't hear anything by the end of the week I'll send them a letter before action and take it the small claims court. It's pretty clear what has happened and the amount of compensation can be derived from the threads like this.

I shall likely do the same.
I'm only seventeen however, so I may have to contact the relative who purchased the laptop for this.

Associate
OP
I shall likely do the same.
I'm only seventeen however, so I may have to contact the relative who purchased the laptop for this.

I'm happy to provide any information required to achieve a successful outcome for you. I have various promotional materials from MSI advertising the MXM upgradability. Let me know what you require.

Associate
I'm happy to provide any information required to achieve a successful outcome for you. I have various promotional materials from MSI advertising the MXM upgradability. Let me know what you require.

Well, i've just got a response;
TgcxCZJ.png
It seems like they're only allowing to swap for the GT series, possibly to have people pay £500+ so they minimise losses? I don't know, i'm interested but I don't intend to pay anything more than £400 for this.
Small claims court is still an option unfortunately.

Associate
Well, I've just got a response as well asking for details of the laptop (model, serial, invoice etc.). My response to them -

Hello,

Thank you for the response, obviously the offer is expected to be fair and amicable and the equivalent to upgrading the GPU alone – as per promise when the laptop was sold and not the CPU and other elements that just happen to be in the new laptops. I don’t believe there is any question that, for example a GTX1070 mxm, could be supported on last generation CPU’s / memory. In other words I’d expect to part with no more than the cost of a GTX1070mxm upgrade to a laptop.

My details are:

Associate
OP
Well, I've just got a response as well asking for details of the laptop (model, serial, invoice etc.). My response to them -

Hello,

Thank you for the response, obviously the offer is expected to be fair and amicable and the equivalent to upgrading the GPU alone – as per promise when the laptop was sold and not the CPU and other elements that just happen to be in the new laptops. I don’t believe there is any question that, for example a GTX1070 mxm, could be supported on last generation CPU’s / memory. In other words I’d expect to part with no more than the cost of a GTX1070mxm upgrade to a laptop.

I had that conversation with them too.

They were not particularly helpful.

You might want to ask them why they have taken down the notice about the scheme from their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/MSINotebookUK/posts/1146638512058171?) and ask how GT72/80 owners are meant to find out about the program.

MSI UK Notebook really are very shady when it comes to their customers.

Associate
Have you considered contacting trading standards?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

If multiple people do this, it may speed things up, as multiple people including myself are seemingly just being ignored via email.
I've been toying with the idea of this, and the missus has advised i do the same. I just don't want the headache of it all. I guess if mutliple people are willing to do it at the same time i would be game. As i've mentioned previously though, another reason i have yet to contact trading standards is because my machine is a US import, sold by a US company trading on a US platform within the UK. I think that basically i am shafted and my only 2 options are to take an upgrade now, or when Volta is released.
all i want an answer to now is whether my laptop will be worth the same as it is now for the Volta trade in or not.

Back
Top Bottom