DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
I've actually had an offer for my GT72 2QD 1464UK and since I can't see anything in the email saying I can't put on this on a forum they have offered me £1,189 against SRP of a new laptop, the original SRP was £1699 but I paid £1,149.

So the way I'm looking at it I need the following specs on a 1070 machine -

-> 17" screen
-> 75Mhz Gsync
-> 16GB RAM
-> NVME boot

It looks like the £2,099 GT72VR7RE(Dominator Pro)-429UK meets the requirements so a £910 cost to upgrade - that seems pretty fair to me?

Associate
I've actually had an offer for my GT72 2QD 1464UK and since I can't see anything in the email saying I can't put on this on a forum they have offered me £1,189 against SRP of a new laptop, the original SRP was £1699 but I paid £1,149.

-> 17" screen
-> 75Mhz Gsync
-> 16GB RAM
-> NVME boot

It looks like the £2,099 GT72VR7RE(Dominator Pro)-429UK meets the requirements so a £910 cost to upgrade - that seems pretty fair to me?
To put it into perspective, i have had quotes on 3 different spec laptops, none of which are that expensive. MiSjah even got the top of the range model for a third of that price (see 2-3 pages back). I would reconsider, the idea was to pay for the GPU, any other components should not be taken into consideration really as they are in the wrong.

Associate
To put it into perspective, i have had quotes on 3 different spec laptops, none of which are that expensive. MiSjah even got the top of the range model for a third of that price (see 2-3 pages back). I would reconsider, the idea was to pay for the GPU, any other components should not be taken into consideration really as they are in the wrong.

It's a £910 upgrade which looking through the websites seems reasonable for 1070mxm type card plus installation?

I'll certainly look through what other people have been offered - they keep saying it's based on age and price of laptop but it shouldn't it should be based on the cost to upgrade the GPU as per all the promises.

Associate
OP

-> 17" screen
-> 75Mhz Gsync
-> 16GB RAM
-> NVME boot

Yep, they are taking the proverbial.

I upgraded from a 'B' grade GT72 2QE from OcUK's clearance section for £1,100 to a GT73VR 7RF SRP £2,799 (at the time) for under £400.

MSI are trying to suck as much out of their customers to cover the cost of their own screw up.

Associate
Correct, and actually i think MSI US don't even take purchase price into consideration, only model. Don't forget though, if we had upgraded from 980m to 1070 for example, you would still have your old card, which you would be able to sell for £300-400 i think they are going for currently. So straight away the upgrade cost has nearly halved.

Associate
getting tasty.. I reject the offer and asked for a better one, the response being...

Indeed we are basing the discount on your current laptop, as stated in my previous email “We will calculate a trade-in value based on the value of your current machine” – this is a trade in program, not an MXM module sale or upgrade, apologies if this is not clear. The MXM upgrade is not possible while upholding the highest possible performance and experience, this is why we are offering the trade-in program.

Kind regards

MSI UK Notebook

----------------------------
Hi,

But that’s what MSI promised, you specifically sold these laptops as upgradable – you are now effectively breaching that contract as clearly shown by the class action in the US. The “replacement” trade-in program should offer the similar value to the MXM upgrade programme and clearly this has been the case for some other people who have traded in I.e. one of the Overclockers forum users had a similar situation and got a £400 upgrade – yet I’m looking at £1,210.

So let me be clear, I expect a good value trade in that would be the equivalent of a MXM upgrade – I purchased the laptop on the basis of mxm upgrades yet MSI appear to be reneging on this promise, one could say contract.

Associate
getting tasty.. I reject the offer and asked for a better one, the response being...

Indeed we are basing the discount on your current laptop, as stated in my previous email “We will calculate a trade-in value based on the value of your current machine” – this is a trade in program, not an MXM module sale or upgrade, apologies if this is not clear. The MXM upgrade is not possible while upholding the highest possible performance and experience, this is why we are offering the trade-in program.

Kind regards

MSI UK Notebook

----------------------------
Hi,

But that’s what MSI promised, you specifically sold these laptops as upgradable – you are now effectively breaching that contract as clearly shown by the class action in the US. The “replacement” trade-in program should offer the similar value to the MXM upgrade programme and clearly this has been the case for some other people who have traded in I.e. one of the Overclockers forum users had a similar situation and got a £400 upgrade – yet I’m looking at £1,210.

So let me be clear, I expect a good value trade in that would be the equivalent of a MXM upgrade – I purchased the laptop on the basis of mxm upgrades yet MSI appear to be reneging on this promise, one could say contract.

That went down like a lead balloon, apparently when do buy an MSI laptop there is no contract or promise. Oh dear, MSI, oh dear.

Hi Robin,

you are now effectively breaching that contract” “MSI appear to be reneging on this promise, one could say contract.”

Regardless of contracts, which are irrelevant here as there is no contract between yourself and MSI, the state of the matter is that we are offering an upgrade program to allow our customers to upgrade to the new models to fulfil the promise of upgrading to 10 series. We are happy to negotiate a price, however this does not mean that you can pick any 1070 model for an unknown/your estimated price of an 1070 MXM module.

Associate
So I'm at the stage where MSI are recommending a 60Mhz, 15.6" GTX1070 laptop is a suitable replacement for my 75Mhz, 17.3" GTX970 - for a cost of £678. I've got back to them asking them for 17" version which is an extra £100 and absorb that cost. But it's all gone quiet for a couple of days - not sure if they monitor the mailbox full time or not..

Associate
i had a GT72 2QE paid about 1,300 for it, got a GT73VR 7RF (7th gen CPU, 1080 GTX, 16 GB ram, 120hz gync panel) all for around £500 upgrade.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THIS, IGNORE ANY OTHER TRASH OFFER THEY SEND YOU.

They have broke their advertising by not offering the deal, the BIGGEST selling point and reason for purchase was UPGRADEABLE MXM GRAPHICS! if they cant honour this they have to offer you a suitable replacement if you choose, at a price comparable approx. 500 quid depending on laptop. Its important to note; YOU MUST NOT LOSE ANY FEATURES IN DOING THIS UPGRADE AND YOU MUST NOT PAY FOR ANY ADDITIONAL FEATURES THAT SHOULD BE GESTURE OF GOODWILL AND YOU PAY ONLY FOR THE GRAPHICS UPGRADE AND ONLY THAT.

Reject every offer, keep spamming their twitter/facebook/email try all the senior contacts I gave and you will get a fair deal.

your deal at £678 is still crap, ask for a 1080 got approx. £500 if they say no, ask why not as you can provide several people that got decent offers.

Associate
joke is also, you had a better 5th gen CPU I had a 4th gen cpu and I got a 1080 for CHEAPER THAN YOUR 1070 offer and you had a better base laptop LMAO XD MSI PULL YOUR HEAD OUT

Associate
50,000 views here alone, many other elsewhere and MSI still refuse to give a good deal, lmao how many more future customers do you want to lose MSI?

p.s my power supply randomly died on the new one they sent me.... got a free replacement but after this laptop dies never going to MSI products again.

Associate
OP
Just to back up what @tropicola has already said.

Do not take deals from MSI that are bad for you.

I upgraded from a B grade, haswell laptop with a 980M to a top spec GT73VR with 1080 for less than £500.

MSI..... Njl8Mes.jpg on their advertising!

Associate
Well, let's do the maths -

Costs:
MXM1070 ~£615
Labour ~£100
Returns:
EBAY listing of MXM970 ~£190

Difference £525

So in theory I should get a replacement laptop with a 1070 for £525. The offer on the table -

Your Laptop: GT72 2QD(Dominator G)-1464UK // GT72 2QD(Dominator G)-1464UKK1505000024 (Tradein value: £1321)
Your estimated upgrade options: GT72VR 7RE(Dominator Pro)-429UK (SRP:£2099)
Purchase price after discount agreed: £778, 1 year extra warranty has been thrown in worth ~£120 =£658

So I'm looking at a difference of £133 in favour of MSI. I don't think this is a terrible deal when all said done?

EDIT: I've actually gone back to them and officially rejected the offer, asked for either

1. £500 trade in the laptop above
2. £778 trade in on a 1080 laptop (SRP: £2599)

Last edited:
Associate
They've stopped responding to me for over a week now, still no price list sent. :cool:

I'll be contacting trading standards and seeing what my options are with that route.

Associate
Well this gets weirder...

MSI came back to me saying "As we worked out, the pricing is comparable to an MXM upgrade."

BUT in an earlier email -

"Adding in your suggested £100 labour, this puts the upgrade cost at £525. The difference between this and £789 is £264.
Happy to meet you in the middle and increase your trade-in value by £132, making the valuation £1321. This will be our final offer."

That was for a 15" model, the 17" being another £100.

If I don't get a decent response to my email point this out I'll be sending a letter before action and proceed with a small claims in two weeks. Then they can cough up for the legal costs and time.

Associate
OP
Well this gets weirder...

MSI came back to me saying "As we worked out, the pricing is comparable to an MXM upgrade."

BUT in an earlier email -

"Adding in your suggested £100 labour, this puts the upgrade cost at £525. The difference between this and £789 is £264.
Happy to meet you in the middle and increase your trade-in value by £132, making the valuation £1321. This will be our final offer."

That was for a 15" model, the 17" being another £100.

If I don't get a decent response to my email point this out I'll be sending a letter before action and proceed with a small claims in two weeks. Then they can cough up for the legal costs and time.

Go the legal route. Set a precedent for others. MSI UK Notebook will unlikely respond as they are a small team.

Associate
Anyone still have the evidence of them advertising MXM upgradability and their program? I'll likely need the advertisements when filing the trading standards query, I have some already but a few more couldn't hurt. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom