DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
Has anyone contacted the retailer they purchased the laptop from and requested a refund? Or used their credit card company they used for the purchase for the same?

Associate
Has anyone contacted the retailer they purchased the laptop from and requested a refund? Or used their credit card company they used for the purchase for the same?

I did contact overclockers, however they said it is an MSI issue and that there is nothing they can do themselves.

Soldato
I did contact overclockers, however they said it is an MSI issue and that there is nothing they can do themselves.

But you purchased from Overclockers so regardless of what they say Overclockers have taken MSIs word for it and sold it as such. They should be putting pressure on MSI to get this sorted even if its by pulling all MSI products until they do.

Associate

Your contract was with Overclockers when you made the purchase, your statutory rights last 6 years in England and Wales. If you paid by credit card and they took up your case then it would directly affect Overclockers as they would attempt to recover the money from them I guess?

Associate
O.M.G.

Could you also confirm who will be pursuing us in court and their contact details, as if I remember correctly, under 18s cannot make claims? Might be wrong!

Kind regards

MSI UK Notebook

WOW, incredible request, are they asking you if under 18's cannot make a claim. I would expect them to be more professional than this although I'm not sure why I do.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
O.M.G.

Could you also confirm who will be pursuing us in court and their contact details, as if I remember correctly, under 18s cannot make claims? Might be wrong!

Kind regards

MSI UK Notebook

That is shocking, can count me out of ever buying MSI again.

Associate
WOW, incredible request, are they asking you if under 18's cannot make a claim. I would expect them to be more professional than this although I'm not sure why I do.
No, my mistake - I confused him with another customer of a similar name who mentioned in the email that he was under 18 and had asked if this would affect the trade in program. In knowing the details of the person making the claim, we would know which case it relates to if/when the court summons arrive at the office, because AFAIK those under 18 cannot make a claim themselves unless it is regarding wages. I am sorry if I caused offense in asking this? No insinuation that you act 17 was intended, genuinely.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, my mistake - I confused him with another customer of a similar name who mentioned in the email that he was under 18 and had asked if this would affect the trade in program. In knowing the details of the person making the claim, we would know which case it relates to if/when the court summons arrive at the office, because AFAIK those under 18 cannot make a claim themselves unless it is regarding wages. I am sorry if I caused offense in asking this? No insinuation that you act 17 was intended, genuinely.

For once I think this is a genuine mistake.

Out of anyone within the UK team @natarie was the one person that acted like a human being throughout the process. It's not his fault they reneged upon their advertising.

(I'm possibly guilty of acting 17 at some points of the trade-in process ) :D :D

Edit: HER, [not her fault] Oooops.

Associate
My problem is I don't have the time to go through this process, I have seen how long it takes to get a response and offers from MSI and due to health issues and treatment which means I am in hospital and unwell for long periods, I understand it is not entirely MSI UK's fault but they are our point of contact, so I feel I have to pass this to my credit card company to assist in a refund as the promised upgrade is not possible (A trade in program is not a MXM upgrade).

Associate
What's disturbing is that MSI are reading this thread, they actually know we exchange information and seem to be acting in a completely unfair manner and an entirely inconsistent approach.

The approach being how much can we get away with rather than actually holding up their hands and saying "yep we were wrong and everyone will get the same FAIR deal and we'll trade in for the cost of MXM upgrade as we promised".

Associate
Your contract was with Overclockers when you made the purchase, your statutory rights last 6 years in England and Wales. If you paid by credit card and they took up your case then it would directly affect Overclockers as they would attempt to recover the money from them I guess?

I didn't purchase them myself, but I am the one in the family to pursue this issue with permission. The laptops were bought as gifts for the family using finance and they've been nothing but problematic. I believe they've had to go through two or three RMA's, one of which lasted about two months before they sent a replacement laptop because the repair was taking too long.

Should I try with overclockers again?

Associate
I didn't purchase them myself, but I am the one in the family to pursue this issue with permission. The laptops were bought as gifts for the family using finance and they've been nothing but problematic. I believe they've had to go through two or three RMA's, one of which lasted about two months before they sent a replacement laptop because the repair was taking too long.

Should I try with overclockers again?

I would contact Overclockers again, I think you have a case under section 75a as outlined by the Financial Ombudsman, when purchasing via credit.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org....goods-and-services-bought-with-credit.html#1b

• A misrepresentation is an incorrect statement of fact that causes the consumer to go ahead with the contract.
    For example, there is misrepresentation if the supplier persuades a consumer to buy an expensive piece of software - by telling him wrongly that it will be compatible with his existing PC operating system.
Or telling the consumer that the gfx card is upgradable but actually isn't.

Associate
@MiSJAH oh you :p

What's disturbing is that MSI are reading this thread, they actually know we exchange information and seem to be acting in a completely unfair manner and an entirely inconsistent approach.

The approach being how much can we get away with rather than actually holding up their hands and saying "yep we were wrong and everyone will get the same FAIR deal and we'll trade in for the cost of MXM upgrade as we promised".

The trade-in program has been open for over a year now, we have been known to follow and post in the threads occasionally. There will never be a uniform cost for everyone as you suggest, this is simply not the way the trade-in program works, or was ever intended to work - it would end up being unfair and expensive for some and would limit model choice for others. Some customers wanted to pay extra to trade up to a top spec GT83, whereas others have paid as little as £50 for their chosen new model. At its core, a trade-in is where you trade in an item and get a value for that item, it is never the same for everyone as they are not the same items, and we have been clear on this from the beginning in all emails regarding the trade-in program. It is not an MXM upgrade and is not costed as such - MXM upgrades would not have included significant CPU/RAM/SSD/display/chassis upgrades, or a brand new 2-3 year warranty. Fundamentally, there is no benchmark for MXM costings as MXM upgrades have never been done in the UK, you and I can only speculate on what it would have cost.

The trade-in program is not about profit, quite the opposite, but we do have a set amount we can value each model at within the launch SRP. If a customer is asking for a further discount, this is something I will have to make a case for to my bosses, as I mentioned to you in my last email yesterday, and I will always do this if the request is reasonable.

We do not want our customers to be unhappy, you have put your trust in us by spending a lot of your hard earned money on our product and we appreciate that and value you as customers, so if a resolution is reachable we will always try to get there as amicably as possible. It is very unfortunate that NVIDIA's changes made MXM upgrades unsuitable, this is not something we can change but we are trying to offer the best possible solution given the circumstances. Many customers have received good deals on their upgrades and are now happy - I see no reason why you cannot be one of them.

My problem is I don't have the time to go through this process, I have seen how long it takes to get a response and offers from MSI and due to health issues and treatment which means I am in hospital and unwell for long periods, I understand it is not entirely MSI UK's fault but they are our point of contact, so I feel I have to pass this to my credit card company to assist in a refund as the promised upgrade is not possible (A trade in program is not a MXM upgrade).
Sorry to hear that - if you change your mind and would like to upgrade, drop me an email and we can work through it whenever you get time. Admittedly we are not the fastest at responding to MXM emails as there are many internal points of contact for each stage, but laptop inspections seem to be taking less than a week at the moment, so you wouldn't be too long without it (I assume you take your laptop into hospital with you?) it's your decision, but we are flexible and happy to do this in a way that suits you if you like :)

Back
Top Bottom