DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
I haven't put the court papers in yet, been tied up with work. But I'll do it the next few days.

Needless to say I've heard nothing from MSI.

Yea thats only going to make your case stronger everyone got a deal you didn't

since i pointed out eurocom do a 1070 upgrade for their model that can't be upgraded apparently they have gone quiet on me also, no replies from anyway, probably formulating a legal team response or something as this looks shady as **** tbh now people are offering mxm upgrades

the biscuit is that, 11 series was promised also so what the **** are they planning for that one? I was promised 2 generations of upgrades, i bought mine with a 980, therefore should be covered for 10 series and 11.

Associate
aye its dumb I paid 500 or so for the same "deal"

Hope your still enjoying your Aorus @MiSJAH kinda wish I just sold the GT73 immediately when I got it as boxed/new... having to stare at it every time I play a game is annoying as hell....

Did the other guy that said he was going to small claims ever take it? Or did you receive an out of court deal to avoid that in the end? which assuming we won't hear about as those agreements tend to be confidential but as I haven't seen you post here I'll assume you either backed out of the case or got a deal you were happy with?

also I read this on NBR

"After talking to Ming they come to a conclusion to open up the GT75VR line with conditions.

Condition for trading in for GT75VR

-Customer will have to forfeit 2nd Generation GPU Trade In. Customer will no longer qualify for our GTX 11xx GPU Trade in Program.

-GT75VR Laptop only comes with standard 1 year Limited warranty (Include 1 Year Global)."

So does this mean we get another trade in for 11x series? because they can f-right off, not getting a penny more.

Ming is also dealing with my trade in, and i was offered the same 11 series trade in. After asking how it works, and not really getting straight answers, i basically understand it as your current laptop is given a grade (most likely 'B' grade as of now for 10 series), this then defines what it is worth to them. This price (based on base specs from when it left MSI) is what they value your laptop at, they then give the choice of 2-3 laptops within similar specs and give you a price for trading in (always in their favour btw). To wait for the 2nd gen upgrade (Volta in this case), your current laptop value will decrease, and as the new machines are new to the market, will be substancially higher. So trade in cost will obviously increase dramatically i suspect, as i was not given actual prices i can only speculate.
So all in all, if you traded in months ago and got the GT72VR, you did well, as the machine was worth more. When Volta/GT75 machines arrive, the GT72 will devalue like crazy, however, if you trade in for the GT75VR, then you will have to pay higher trade in prices. So basically, it's a win/win for MSI. They get your old machine, you pay xxxx against a new one. Not what was advertised, when all we want is an upgrade kit from 980-1080-volta for example.
From what i have read, you can only upgrade to other GT models to, you cannot stray to a GS model for example, as i believe these would work out cheaper and the trade in cost would be negative to MSI, meaning they would owe you money. I might be wrong, but as i cannot get decent, easy to understand answers on how they operate and work their busted a** trade in sceme/con i can only give my understanding of it.

P.S
If you have already traded in, you forfeit your right to upgrade again to another generation, as well as any remaining warranty as you mention above.

P.P.S
My machine landed in L.A yesterday and was signed for, so i am waiting on an email from MSI anytime now.

Associate
how do i upgrade my gt72 2qe to a new version with 1080gtx
Sacrifice your first born child to the MSI gods, then hope they listen and only ask for your second and third child too in exchange for a new machine. Be prepared to be labelled a heathen and all sacrifices will fall upon deaf ears.

Seriously though...
Basically contact MSI (in your local region), and ask for a trade in price against your existing system. You should probably read the last 10 pages or so for more details. Hound then until they answer!

Associate
OP
how do i upgrade my gt72 2qe to a new version with 1080gtx

Contact [email protected]

Pay no more than £400, I paid a little less to upgrade from a 'B' grade GT72 2QE to a GT73VR 7RF with GTX 1080.

aye its dumb I paid 500 or so for the same "deal"

Hope your still enjoying your Aorus @MiSJAH kinda wish I just sold the GT73 immediately when I got it as boxed/new... having to stare at it every time I play a game is annoying as hell....

The AORUS is a monster. Yet sleek and cool too. I'm mega enjoying it. Sell your 73 and join the awesome AORUS club :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Wow, I seriously wish I saw the aorus range before I went MSI :(

To be fair I've had a lot of people saying this.

I'm glad I swapped manufacturers. The AORUS team on these forums are great and helpful. The Aorus Owner's Lounge is a great source of info and my review has an overview on how good these slim notebooks actually are.

For performance and looks AORUS are pretty unbeatable.

But to stay on topic; we are still waiting for MSI UK Notebook to explain the varying prices in the trade-in program and for the outcome of the US class action suit.

I'll update as often as new info comes to light.

Associate
I have been in contact with HID regarding my new trade up laptop, they have now received it from MSI, but as a longshot i have asked them what they would offer to keep the laptop, it's a brand new sealed GT73VR Titan Pro 866 (GTX1080 model). They have offered £1750 for the laptop. So with some quick maths i will have lost £870.72 in depreciation and trade in etc. Original laptop order was £2050 and they are selling the above machine on their website for £1954, essentially netting them £200 profit.
What do you think?

Pro's: I get to liquidate the cash locked into the machine, i get the wash my hands of MSI completely, i don't have to worry about selling a US model in this country as well as the possible returns and scams etc.
Cons: I'm losing over 40% of my original purchase price, i end up with no machine at all, i may not be able to sell it for this price in this country etc.

I'm kind of torn. I can't see another machine with this spec for anywhere near £1750 without spending even more money, but there again, i've been without my laptop now for over a month and to be honest i've not really missed it, other than for some photo editing i needed to do.

Associate
I have been in contact with HID regarding my new trade up laptop, they have now received it from MSI, but as a longshot i have asked them what they would offer to keep the laptop, it's a brand new sealed GT73VR Titan Pro 866 (GTX1080 model). They have offered £1750 for the laptop. So with some quick maths i will have lost £870.72 in depreciation and trade in etc. Original laptop order was £2050 and they are selling the above machine on their website for £1954, essentially netting them £200 profit.
What do you think?

Pro's: I get to liquidate the cash locked into the machine, i get the wash my hands of MSI completely, i don't have to worry about selling a US model in this country as well as the possible returns and scams etc.
Cons: I'm losing over 40% of my original purchase price, i end up with no machine at all, i may not be able to sell it for this price in this country etc.

I'm kind of torn. I can't see another machine with this spec for anywhere near £1750 without spending even more money, but there again, i've been without my laptop now for over a month and to be honest i've not really missed it, other than for some photo editing i needed to do.
Honestly, I would take the sale. I switched to an ASUS GL552 and it's seriously a better experience. I don't miss the GT72's specs as much as I thought I would.
Plus, it's way lighter :cool:

Associate
I contacted customer service about trade up and they said they would getting the sales team to contact me, 1 week has passed but still no call, is there anyone else I can contact to get the ball rolling

Associate
I traded and sold because, Screw MSI.

I have nothing but good things to say about my AORUS. The 1070 is a powerful card for 1080/1440p. And @Atom80 (Gigabyte/AORUS rep) is regularly about on these forums.
If i could afford it i would, i'm just not prepared to spend even more money on a luxury item like a gaming laptop. It's the first properly expensive computer i've ever owned, and will most likely be the last as well, this whole experience has put really bitter taste in my mouth.

Caporegime
I traded and sold because, Screw MSI.

I have nothing but good things to say about my AORUS. The 1070 is a powerful card for 1080/1440p. And @Atom80 (Gigabyte/AORUS rep) is regularly about on these forums.
I think everyone in this thread should add your "Before buying MSI read this" line to their sig. Can you post the code? :)

Associate
OP
I think everyone in this thread should add your "Before buying MSI read this" line to their sig. Can you post the code? :)

What a great idea.

[ COLOR=CYAN]Before buying MSI read [ \COLOR][ URL=https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/msi-mis-sold-gt72-gt80-with-mxm-graphics.18746748/][ COLOR=WHITE][ SIZE=6]This[ \URL][ \COLOR][ \SIZE].

All spaces immediately following a square opening bracket "[" need to removed to make the code work.

(*may have errors. Done from memory on phone as X5 is on holiday).

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom