MSI Motherboard owners, Fan Control?

Soldato
Hi,

I have a B450 Pro Carbon, my previous board was a Gigabyte and fan control was simple, set the case fans to System and they ramped up and down with the system temp

This boards fan control is weird, I cant match the fans to System because System sensor never goes over 40C under load so the fans will just sit there at the minimum RPM while the CPU and GPU cook

If I match them to CPU you get that annoying ramp up when using the desktop and browsing etc, also when gaming the fans stay at a lower RPM than needed to keep the GPU cool when gaming

Just wondering how everyone has gotten around this? I much prefer the fan control on my old board but everything else is fine so I want to try and figure it out so the fans are silent in Windows and ramp up when gaming

Thanks

Soldato
PWM

Why did you give up with it? Just seems there is no way to get the temp to ramp up when gaming using the bios so I might have to do the same as my GPU gets too hot

didnt allow me to fine tune the fans how i wanted them , very basic . was for a client build and inverted case so airflow was a bit different

Soldato
OP
Ok, I'm going to try and base them on the System temp tonight but I know this wont work because the System temp maxes out at 40C under load so there isnt enough room for a curve

Its either that or leave the top two fans matched to the CPU and somehow run the lower front intake in front of the GPU on its own custom more aggressive curve

Associate
I have a gaming pro carbon ac B450 board, and I set my fans (corsair ML 120 & 140) up so that they idle at around 440 rpm(lowest speed from corsair is 400) and they are near enough silent and they ramp up as I play any games, I just set them to pwm and moved the sliders in the bios fan setup down till I reached around 440 and switched smart control on

Soldato
I have case and CPU fans linked to CPU temp with a custom PWM curve. I don’t notice any ramp up during basic desktop stuff. My Noctua fans will spin down to a very slow speed.

Soldato
I don't think you can set system fans based on cpu temp on most MSI boards; system fans, at least on my Z270 MSI board, run based on motherboard temp.
You can on Z390, perhaps it got added on later boards/BIOS.

You can but don't know why you would want to, better to base it on motherboard temp
I have the same fans on my CPU cooler and case. I like the idea of having the speed synchronised to maintain a consistent airflow and minimise turbulence. I could base it on the motherboard temp but I think it is better to have the CPU cooler reacting quicker to CPU load.

Soldato
OP
You can on Z390, perhaps it got added on later boards/BIOS.

I have the same fans on my CPU cooler and case. I like the idea of having the speed synchronised to maintain a consistent airflow and minimise turbulence. I could base it on the motherboard temp but I think it is better to have the CPU cooler reacting quicker to CPU load.

CPU fan is based on CPU temps yeah but case fans are based on system temps

When the GPU heats up it heats the case with it so the system temp goes up, when the GPU cools down the case is still warm so the fans need to cool down with system temp. No point in having them ramp up and down with CPU as other components are going to be warm when the CPU isn't

Soldato
I guess it depends on your case design and components. I have a small mATX case with the CPU cooler very close to the case's rear exhaust fan. So to me it makes sense to sync the the two to the CPU temperature to keep a consistent airflow path. My GPU is a founders edition which is designed to vent outside of the case rather than dump hot air inside. It is unlikely that the GPU is going to working hard enough to heat the system whilst the CPU is idle.

Last edited:
Associate
Perhaps using SpeedFan is an option? It's one of the more complicated pieces of software to setup, but I believe it allows you to set your individual fan curves to whichever temperature sensor you want.

Associate
You can set the fans to adjust on various temp sensors with msi boards. I just use cpu though. You can also adjust the hysteresis so they don’t ramp up and down constantly

Back
Top Bottom