DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
I still haven't received an update, i called in spoke to Natalie, she asked me to forward the email to her, i did, but still no info, i know Natalie will need time, but ive been waiting 48 hours just to get info for the next step, this is ridiculous.
Hi, haven't received anything to either inbox, please resend

Associate
Hi, haven't received anything to either inbox, please resend

hi sorry, just resent to the email you suggested, if you get it please let me know, thank you.

fyi both my laptops arrived from NL... who got them from the UK?

Also, speakers wise... they sound a bit worse than before however on a hard table is still decent. I prefer this personally as there was always little bits and dust getting sucked into the speaker bits on the top after 2 years it became very hard to clean even with compressed air without taking the laptop apart. they also got rid of all those little holes on the top that collected dust.

However saying that, what respectable gamer doesn't have a decent headset or sound system ? :p laptop speakers are always going to be poor due to size/space limitations. Only laptop I had with decent bass/quality was a Dell XPS with JBL audio subwoofer/speakers it was LOUD and decent quality with a nice amount of Bass compared to the bee in a tin can speakers on most laptops I've tried, even a 2.5k mac has poor speakers imo....

I have the headset that came with my MSI laptop which is good, but the speakers on the laptop were handy because i can listen to a decent sound, and i could still hear if my son wakes up crying, headset i cant hear him... i've only had a few laptops in my life, but so far the gt72 had the best sound for me, and the first 1 with a little sub. correction i think my old alienware had a sub also but the MSI so far best sound for me

got a reply back from MSI all it said was "how was the damage caused?" i understand they want to know what happened, so do i, but they still haven't said how much it would cost or if it was covered by the warranty... i was nice in my reply gave the info and asked nicely for what we can do to move forward. to be honest this really is upsetting me, after waiting over 48 hours for information about what to do next, i get a question about how the damage was caused.

again MSI asking how the damage was caused is ok i understand, but after 2 days of waiting, they could have included an estimate for repair, or information saying if the warranty would cover that, the lack of information is what upsets me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Who wants to take a guess if Neil @ MSI got back to me today before the close of business like he said he would?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
sorry, i know its annoying, over 48 hours and still no information, only response from MSI how was the damage caused? i don't know why they're making this process longer than it should be. friday 17th of february laptop is received in poland. monday 20th of february MSI says covers are broken, Since Monday the 20th Andrew Neil, and myself have both asked for an update on whats next, and still no real response except a question of how the damage was caused. this is not right, the company should have already had a breakdown of the components and prices before the trade in program started, it shouldnt take this long to get a price check for the part or info on if warranty covers it. and the more i look at the pics MSI sent me of my laptop, the more i don't believe them about the damage.

Associate
damage should have nothing to do with it, if the laptop turns on and runs that should be all thats needed. The original "deal" was just to switch MXM cards.

Dints / cracks / missing keys etc shouldnt even come into play - its a complete joke that theyre trying to charge you guys repair bills.

Associate
Hi,
I've been trying to read through a lot of the thread but I have a few questions.

I have an MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro G laptop. Is it true MSI are trying to charge for the slightest defect (dust, scratch, etc.)? If I also decide to go for the upgrade program, will I have to make sure the original components were in the laptop (memory and hard drives) or can I tell MSI to put these into the replacement laptop, or maybe I can even send the laptop without the custom components and explicitly tell MSI this so in the replacement laptop it comes without the memory and hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Hi,
I've been trying to read through a lot of the thread but I have a few questions.

I have an MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro G laptop. Is it true MSI are trying to charge for the slightest defect (dust, scratch, etc.)? If I also decide to go for the upgrade program, will I have to make sure the original components were in the laptop (memory and hard drives) or can I tell MSI to put these into the replacement laptop, or maybe I can even send the laptop without the custom components and explicitly tell MSI this so in the replacement laptop it comes without the memory and hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

The laptop must contain the original components or you will be charged for replacements. MSI will not remove and place in a new notebook.

You will receive a valuation of your notebook and then use that amount as a discount towards a new notebook.

No matter what MSI state about 'costs being comparable to previous MXM upgrades'.

Oh, and MSI now tell me they have never offered MXM upgrades in the UK, so I wonder how they referenced it in their statement to UK customers

:vbscratchheadlookingwellpuzzledsmilie:

Associate
The laptop must contain the original components or you will be charged for replacements. MSI will not remove and place in a new notebook.

You will receive a valuation of your notebook and then use that amount as a discount towards a new notebook.

No matter what MSI state about 'costs being comparable to previous MXM upgrades'.

Oh, and MSI now tell me they have never offered MXM upgrades in the UK, so I wonder how they referenced it in their statement to UK customers

:vbscratchheadlookingwellpuzzledsmilie:

Thanks, sounds like it was mis-sold then. Also sounds more hassle than it's worth so I'll wait until I want a new laptop and avoid buying MSI products in the future.

Associate
OP
Thanks, sounds like it was mis-sold then. Also sounds more hassle than it's worth so I'll wait until I want a new laptop and avoid buying MSI products in the future.

No problem.

So yes, the original advertising for upgradable GPU's was mis-sold/factually inaccurate.

Then, the program specifically put in place to fix this matter has a statement about costs based on something MSI claim they have never done, ergo, mis-selling/factually inaccurate.

You really couldn't make this up.

Associate
talked with MSI this morning to see whats going on, they said i need to wait while they try to figure out if it covered by the warranty or if not to negotiate a better price for repair...

this is complete Bull they should know damm well if its covered by the warranty or not and the price for parts, im seriously considering just telling them to forget the trade in, and maybe return to original reseller for full refund and buy an asus rog. unless msi makes a great offer or a really good free upgrade this will be the last msi machine i get.

Associate
OP
talked with MSI this morning to see whats going on, they said i need to wait while they try to figure out if it covered by the warranty or if not to negotiate a better price for repair...

this is complete Bull they should know damm well if its covered by the warranty or not and the price for parts, im seriously considering just telling them to forget the trade in, and maybe return to original reseller for full refund and buy an asus rog. unless msi makes a great offer or a really good free upgrade this will be the last msi machine i get.

What timeframe did they provide for resolution?

Associate
What timeframe did they provide for resolution?

none, they said just try to wait and be patient. its a joke

i can order the new asus right now from amazon and have it this time tomorrow, honestly MSI what the hell, takes so long to get standard info and prices.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Somebody fact check me to make sure I'm not going mad;

MSI launched the trade-in scheme because the advertised upgrade was factually inaccurate and constituted mis-selling.

If the trade-in scheme has exactly the same problem, it's factually inaccurate and therefore constitutes mis-selling?

So MSI make the same mistake twice?

First time:
hPliQvV.png

Second time:
WUIKqNc.png

18FtoNj.png

MSI are now stating that MXM upgrades have not been made available in the UK, So what exactly does this statement even mean?

Also MSI as the manufacturer of these notebooks has a legal obligation to ensure customers are notified about the matter, a simple facebook post is not ensuring customers aware.

MSI has stated trade-ins are no longer valid, they have no legal standing to be able to make a hard deadline until they have fulfilled the above obligation.

There are no doubt GT72/S and GT80/S that haven't thought about upgrading yet, if MSI are not going to fulfil their obligations, maybe we can assist. The following image advises how to do so feel free to share it anywhere/everywhere, let's get the word out of all gaming forums, all gaming facebook pages (especially those of the resellers of MSI).

1FygoZ0.png

Direct link - http://imgur.com/1FygoZ0

MSI threatened me with legal action, they have insulted me on their facebook page and even in this thread, they have threatened other customers involved in the trade-in also.

MSI LIED ABOUT UPGRADABILITY OF THEIR NOTEBOOKS, THEY LIED IN THE PROMOTED TRADE-IN, AND THEY LIED WHEN THEY THREATENED LEGAL ACTION.

MSI HAS ATTEMPTED TO BULLY CUSTOMERS AND INFLUENCE PUBLICATIONS REGARDING THIS MATTER.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Associate
ok its not officially over 72 hours and still no information about if the part is under warranty or how much to repair. does this sound normal in any way to anyone? 72 hours to check if a part if covered by warranty? this is borderline incompetence as far as im concerned

Associate
OP
MSI LIED ABOUT UPGRADABILITY OF THEIR NOTEBOOKS, THEY LIED IN THE PROMOTED TRADE-IN, AND THEY LIED WHEN THEY THREATENED LEGAL ACTION.

MSI HAS ATTEMPTED TO BULLY CUSTOMERS AND INFLUENCE PUBLICATIONS REGARDING THIS MATTER.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Just incase OcUK or anyone else is interested in potential legal repercussions I have demonstrable evidence of all of the above.

Oc drop me an email, I'm happy to share.

MSI - Sort this out or take me to court.

Anyone else email me at msimxmshame[@]gmail[.]com

Associate
Andy - apologies for any confusion caused by the statement, that is a global MXM statement, with the information after the asterisk being relevant to the UK. The website also has global rather than local information on the product pages (ie the *certain countries text). MXM upgrades were only available in certain countries - to date, as far as I am aware, no MXM upgrade kits have been offered for sale in the UK. Not sure what you mean about the publications, but if you mean media, being in marketing I communicate with those, and we would not think of attempting to influence what they do/do not post.

I am sorry that your trade-in is still dragging on after all this time, but hopefully we can find a solution you are happy with soon :)

Hi, accidental damage is never covered by the warranty. I asked you to wait so that we can try to get a better price for the repair by getting to the bottom of what you mentioned to me in your email with the photos yesterday. If you are happy to accept the charges as they are, I have sent these to you by email. If you would like me to continue with the above, we would appreciate your patience, and 2 working days response time due to communications in different time zones.

Associate
OP
Andy - apologies for any confusion caused by the statement, that is a global MXM statement, with the information after the asterisk being relevant to the UK. The website also has global rather than local information on the product pages (ie the *certain countries text). MXM upgrades were only available in certain countries - to date, as far as I am aware, no MXM upgrade kits have been offered for sale in the UK. Not sure what you mean about the publications, but if you mean media, being in marketing I communicate with those, and we would not think of attempting to influence what they do/do not post.

I am sorry that your trade-in is still dragging on after all this time, but hopefully we can find a solution you are happy with soon :)

Ahhh, Natalie I am lost all faith in MSI. Neil promised to call by the close of business yesterday with resolution and again failed. Although he did manage to send me a two word email today that offered no further insight into a solution. If you happen to speak to him please ask what solution he found by yesterday evening and let me know, heaven forbid he lied when he said he would have a solution by then!

Oh and thanks for your post here.

Associate
Ahhh, Natalie I am lost all faith in MSI. Neil promised to call by the close of business yesterday with resolution and again failed. Although he did manage to send me a two word email today that offered no further insight into a solution. If you happen to speak to him please ask what solution he found by yesterday evening and let me know, heaven forbid he lied when he said he would have a solution by then!

Oh and thanks for your post here.
Apologies, being the UK sales manager he is often on the road from early until late visiting customers all over the country, I will catch up with him tomorrow and hopefully we will have some more information for you before the weekend :)

Associate
im going on a rant now, got an email from Natalie, for parts and repair they want to charge me £254.84 on top of the £1299 for the new laptop.
Natalie said give her some time so she can get the prices down. im not 100% but the prices for the repairs look like a retail price for the parts what do you guys think?
the laptop is in perfect working order just some so called damage to the outer casing. they want to charge me arount £10 for the bezel, when its the same price on ebay, they are charging retail prices for the repair parts, this is a major rip off as far as im concerned.

I would like an official response from MSI on this matter why you as the manufacturer are charging a retail price for your repair parts. For the oem ram hdd dvd ok but for the repair parts which wouldn't have mattered if we could just upgrade the gpu as advertised, this is MSI still trying to make extra money from their screw up.

i wonder if i return it to the reseller would they try to charge me for the repair? when it was sold under false advertising?

https://postimg.org/image/etqmexry7/

[QUOTE="natarie,
Hi, accidental damage is never covered by the warranty. I asked you to wait so that we can try to get a better price for the repair by getting to the bottom of what you mentioned to me in your email with the photos yesterday. If you are happy to accept the charges as they are, I have sent these to you by email. If you would like me to continue with the above, we would appreciate your patience, and 2 working days response time due to communications in different time zones.[/QUOTE]

To be fair I have been asking since monday the 20th for the information, and only today about 1 hour ago did you send me the email with the info. and Poland time difference is only 1 hour, not a major hardship of time zones, unlike mine where i deal with the USA pacific time of 8 hour difference with work, so please 1 hour time difference is a laughable excuse.
Don't get me wrong, i'm not blaming you Natalie, I'm blaming your company MSI.

now for everyone else, im currently on hold with the sales manager from the reseller i originally purchased my laptop, im asking them if they will give me a full refund, without charging me for the repairs as it was mis sold under false advertising, if they will accept it, then I will not pay msi for any repair works and have them ship it back to me, so i can give it to the reseller, and while all that is going on i will buy my new lap an asus rog g752vs while i wait for the shipping and such for the msi gt72 laptop.

I've lost my patience, and i'm tired of MSI taking advantage of this situation.

Back
Top Bottom