MSI Neo2 FR + Tuniq Tower + V1000+

Associate
just tried to install a Tuniq Tower into my v1000+ only to find that it won't fit in the direction i want it to go. I'm install it onto an MSI P35 Neo2 FR mobo

At the moment I have the rear fan of the v1000 blowing into the case (as lianli suggest). So i had wanted to orientate the TT so that it's fan blew in the same direction as the rear case fan.
like so:
lianlipcv10001el5.jpg

(sorry bout the image. only got Paint to work with on these rubbish computers at work)
Key: Blue arrows = direction of air
red circle = where the Tuniq Tower is blocked by the case
pink stuff = hardware

Well that ain't going to happen as there isn't room to position the TT in that direction as it clashes with the divider in the case above the PSU (circled in red).

So, I'm thinking I'll have to position the TT so that it blows upwards.
lianlipcv10002cm8.jpg

Only problem is that would mean all the heat from the CPU will blow straight onto the underside of the GFX card (an ATI 3650).
Options:
1. Do I leave the rear fan blowing into the case with the aim of blowing cool air over the TT and hope the GFX card doesn't get too much heat from the TT.
2. Do i turn the rear fan round so thats it's venting out of the case and hopefully sucking out the CPU's warm air before it gets to the GFX card.
3. Do i turn the TT round the other way so that its blowing downwards, which might cool the GFX card, but end up warming up the PSU underneath (separated by sheet of aluminium though). Rear fan to blow in or out?
4.Or do i not worry about it too much, just bung it all back in willy nilly and go for a few pints?

Anyone got any good ideas?

edit - hmmm, just realised this may be more appropriate in the Overclocking/cooling section. Could a mod oblige. Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
you want all the rear fans throwing the air out. Don't try take air in from the back, especially the ones higher as all you get happen is the hot air from the PSU and CPU goes out the back upwards and then is taken back into the case by the top rear fan pulling air in.
i would put the TT pushing the air upwards only because if its pushing hot air downwards its fighting against the norm. However if you could you would ofcourse push the air out the back .

You should then get a negative airflow (think thats the correct term) and shouldn't have to worry, however if you want to worry that there isn't enough cold air coming in either change the bezel's to ones with holes in or buy a 5.25" fan bay like the EX-33 - works a treat on my system.

Cold air in the front >>>>> Hot air out the back.

Associate
OP
Had some more issues getting the TT to fit into the case. I tried the TT so that it was blowing air upwards, but I found that in this orientation the copper base of the HS was too big and was blocked by the row of resistors around the socket. So i moved the HS up a bit which basically means it is not 'locked' into place by the small pin and hole on the HS base and H-plate, but all the screws are in place and tight. It seems pretty stable.

For some reason Speedfan won't reduce the speed of the CPU fan (it wouldn't do it with the intel HSF either). Anyone know why, and what i can do? Speedfan can see how fast the fans are spinning, and will control the speed of case fans, just not the speed of the CPU fan.

I have an E2200 running at stock (for now) and my load (SP2004 small FFT) temps are 48 and 46*C (using Core Temp), which is only about 8*C lower than it was with the intel HSF. doesn't seem a huge benefit for so much hassle. and the fan is far too loud.

One thing i have noticed is that the CPU's top is not flat (dips in the middle).

oh the joys of building your own PC :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
you want all the rear fans throwing the air out. Don't try take air in from the back, especially the ones higher as all you get happen is the hot air from the PSU and CPU goes out the back upwards and then is taken back into the case by the top rear fan pulling air in.
i would put the TT pushing the air upwards only because if its pushing hot air downwards its fighting against the norm. However if you could you would ofcourse push the air out the back .

You should then get a negative airflow (think thats the correct term) and shouldn't have to worry, however if you want to worry that there isn't enough cold air coming in either change the bezel's to ones with holes in or buy a 5.25" fan bay like the EX-33 - works a treat on my system.

Cold air in the front >>>>> Hot air out the back.

The lianli V1000 has a weird airflow inside because of all the chambers and the fact that everything is upside down. there is a fan venting warm air out of the top of the case. The vent from the PSU as an exhaust that keeps warm air away from the rear 'in' fan. The whole case is covered in holes, so there's plenty of air going in/out. But i will at some point try turning the lower rear fan round, so that its venting warm air rather than sucking cool air in.

Back
Top Bottom