• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

I started playing dishonored this morning and according to msi ab the core never went above 850 and gpu utilisation fluctuated every second or so from 70% down to 5% and back again. Silky smooth 60 fps though whilst playing so wasn't unduly worried :-)

Edit: forgot to mention have 1150 set in ab with plus 50 power target

If you enable unofficial overclocking mode without powerplay support, your 1150 setting on the core will be fixed and not downclock to 850. As the card ships with 1077mhz core, you may find that 1150mhz fixed isn't stable.

Try it and report back :D

What asic is your card?

I highly recommend using OCCT GPU test to check for core stability in Hawaii. Its very quick and easy to check gpu stability. It picks up tiny little graphical errors that would otherwise be hard to notice while testing for stability while gaming. Any errors detected, you need more core voltage or a lower core clock. Its useless for memory though, so stick with core.

sY1HRWD.jpg

I can do 1025/1250 @ Core voltage -0.050mv and AUX voltage at -0.087mv.

For 1100/1250 i need voltage (Core and Aux) at stock levels. This has been tested using OCCT's error checking. If you can pass 10-15 minutes at the setting i posted above you're rock solid stable. You could actually maybe lower voltage a tad further and be stable, but eventually you may get artifacts. Whether you actually notice these while gaming depends on the level of stability. If you get just a couple of errors you probably won't notice. If you get thousands of errors you likely will notice.

Nice post, what is the current thinking on artifacts, do they damage the card? Its been a while since i've read up on them :confused:

Nice post, what is the current thinking on artifacts, do they damage the card? Its been a while since i've read up on them :confused:

They don't damage the card, it just means the card is not completely stable or able to render a scene perfectly at those clocks or voltage settings. If you want 100% stability and 100% artifact free image you want 0 errors in OCCT.

These are the best settings i've found for far for set and forget. Assuming you don't mind gaming at 977mhz default core speed, for the sort of games i'm playing at the moment, Dishonored, Metro etc this is fine.

1. Set unofficial overclock mode without powerplay support...
2. Leave the core at default 977mhz.
3. set power limit +50%
4. Press Apply.

If any other value than 977mhz core is used in unofficial overclock mode the core gets locked at that speed even in 2d. So setting the above allows the 2d/3d modes to still recognise properly.

About 20% into the graph is when the level loads in game i'm testing...

1. lowest frame rates 62
2. highest 130
3. core is dynamic so still throttles, but barely, best straight line i've had so far without locking the core
4. top temp 71/72*c
5. fan speed 47%
6. gpu usage all over the place but doesnt seem to have any negative effects
7. once game closed core drops back to 2d speeds

Try this for a fix for the clock dropping. No need to use unofficial overclocking method either so clocks will drop to 2d levels as normal.

1. Download RadeoPro - http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/11/new-build-with-support-for-amd-radeon-r-series/

2. Create a profile using the game exe.

3. Click the profile tab, then the overdrive tab. Click the padlock to unlock overdrive, click enable graphics overdrive, the click 'always use highest performance clocks while gaming'. Don't forget to set +50% power tune in RP. Apply clocks and voltage settings through afterburner first. Now right click the game profile shortcut on the left and select apply then launch the game.

Last edited:
done, should I set at 1077? or 977 to compare

and I take it I can't run AB monitor with this, any easy steps to setup Radeon pro monitor? and OSD

Try this for a fix for the clock dropping. No need to use unofficial overclocking method either so clocks will drop to 2d levels as normal.

1. Download RadeoPro - http://www.radeonpro.info/2013/11/new-build-with-support-for-amd-radeon-r-series/

3. Click the profile tab, then the overdrive tab. Click the padlock to unlock overdrive, click enable graphics overdrive, the click 'always use highest performance clocks while gaming'. Now right click the game profile shortcut on the left and select apply.

Ok thanks for this, fantastic programme, doesn't look as polished as afterburner, but far more tweakable it seems. Set the core to 1075 (wouldnt go to 1077 lol) and "always use the highest performance clocks" and its stuck like that and never budged in game.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to save the OSD tab settings, when I hit global profile then go back to gaming profile they have defaulted along with the advanced tab settings too. These screens don't have an "apply change" button and right clicking the profile and "apply now" does nothing.

card got to the hottest i've seen it so far 76*c and 54% fan, powertune stayed at 0%? As soon as I leave game clocks drop to 2d settings :D

I'm going to try it now at 977mhz with highest performance clocks as fps is off the chart with no drops at the moment.

Can't say I've noticed any core throttling with my 290X.

Have afterburner osd running whilst playing bf4 and it's fine.

My setup is installed on a Dimastech test bench so cooling isn't a problem, maybe that's why?

3. Click the profile tab, then the overdrive tab. Click the padlock to unlock overdrive, click enable graphics overdrive, the click 'always use highest performance clocks while gaming'. Now right click the game profile shortcut on the left and select apply.

matt what is causing the problem is it afterburner or amd drivers?

Its a bug with the current drivers. Not sure if it affects older drivers, i don't believe anyone has tried older ones. Regardless this will be fixed in up and coming drivers. If you use the fix i posted above, it works and is easy to setup and takes less than 30 seconds. Everyone should be familiar with RadeonPro anyway. As toprock says its a fantastic program.

People using it you might need to set powertune using RadeonPro to 50%. Otherwise you might find it conflicting with afterburner. You'll need to experiment and find out which method works best. However this fixes the clocks dropping issue perfectly, if it affects you. It only affects some single card users, crossfire is unaffected.

Cheers for matt for this, had a chance to test it:

Installed and set up as per your instructions:

v2k9.jpg

After a fairly heated 5 v5 BF4 sesh (We won :) ) here are the results:

v2dy.jpg

Loads better as the fluctuations are really minimal are really couldn't see any stuttering or FR drops in game at all. By no means locked at 1100 though. I haven't had a chance to try the old drivers Matt suggested yet, has anyone else done so?

It's a frustrating thing which I hope if just sorted full stop in the next driver issue but at least it isn't affecting real world performance, at least for me.

It could be that RP is the reason its not at 1100. Its sharing the overclocking API with afterburner after all. Probably best setting the power limit at +50% in RP. Apply your clocks and voltage through MSI first. Remember you've added 15%+ onto the overclock and the power limit is at 0%.

Last edited:
Damn good point! I've had +50 set in AB since I downloaded it... I did uninstall all OC software and reinstall so maybe that's where it lost the +50? Either way, i'll apply the settings and try again :) Where's the Powerlimit in RP? Is it the powertune control?

EDIT: After applying the +50 in AB and restarting RP it is the powertune option and it set automatically :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom