• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

im having a nightmare since mantle, my gpu usage is for the lack of a better word out of control, its all over the place when im playing cs go my core clock doesnt move but the usage doesnt know what its doing so i cant play the game.... im so confused as to wtf is going on

iv also noticed when im idle in desktop my memory keeps going to 3dmode and then back down to 2dmode every 2seconds, is this normal or is my card going wrong?

Last edited:
im having a nightmare since mantle, my gpu usage is for the lack of a better word out of control, its all over the place when im playing cs go my core clock doesnt move but the usage doesnt know what its doing so i cant play the game.... im so confused as to wtf is going on

iv also noticed when im idle in desktop my memory keeps going to 3dmode and then back down to 2dmode every 2seconds, is this normal or is my card going wrong?

run display driver uninstaller and click remove folders and then clean and restart, then install newest amd beta drivers
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

I am afraid not. I get throttling on 14.1 as soon as I add any mV, regardless of how much more powerful I make the fan. Temp is obviously not the trigger but I don't know what is!

right boyz, if anyone is getting crashes in games i would totally uninstall afterburner as its foobard with mantle and doesnt support the newest betas '' YET '' we are waiting until amd release the SDK to the public then afterburner devs can make a new one :D
what im doing is just overclocking in amd overdrive in the catlyst control pannel, annoying thing is you cant set a fan curve like AB, runs hotter yes but its fine

I've scanned through this thread, but I'm a little confused as to what is going on. I understand reference cards had cooling issues, were extremely loud, and throttled the clock speed to stop the card getting too hot.

Now, I received an MSI 290X Gaming yesterday. I installed it, opened up CCC to check temps etc, and then opened up some games that I thought might challenge it (games that I couldn't quite run maxed on my 2x6950's), Those games were AC4 and The Witcher 2, all settings as high as possible (ubersampling enabled in W2). I ran the games for a little while, had Fraps FPS running and CCC on my second monitor to check what the card was doing. I didn't notice any GPU activity drops, or FPS drops, and my card hit about 70C and 55% fan speed. Do I need to do anything to make sure my card isn't going to throttle itself in future? I guess I'm after a bit of a dummies guide if someone wouldn't mind providing one, even if its just a link to go and read myself if I've missed one somewhere else.

basically, we were overclocking the card and it was downclocking in games but im not too sure if its happening now with the new mantle drivers 14.1 as i have uninstalled afterburner which was messing things up like crashing games as it doesnt support the new mantle drivers yet

ah ok, something to look out for when/if I overclock mine. Sorry for the confusion, I was thinking it was throttling stock cards.

I've scanned through this thread, but I'm a little confused as to what is going on. I understand reference cards had cooling issues, were extremely loud, and throttled the clock speed to stop the card getting too hot.

Now, I received an MSI 290X Gaming yesterday. I installed it, opened up CCC to check temps etc, and then opened up some games that I thought might challenge it (games that I couldn't quite run maxed on my 2x6950's), Those games were AC4 and The Witcher 2, all settings as high as possible (ubersampling enabled in W2). I ran the games for a little while, had Fraps FPS running and CCC on my second monitor to check what the card was doing. I didn't notice any GPU activity drops, or FPS drops, and my card hit about 70C and 55% fan speed. Do I need to do anything to make sure my card isn't going to throttle itself in future? I guess I'm after a bit of a dummies guide if someone wouldn't mind providing one, even if its just a link to go and read myself if I've missed one somewhere else.

I believe throttling kicks in only when you OC (at least for me, when I increase mV in particular).

I believe throttling kicks in only when you OC (at least for me, when I increase mV in particular).

Yeah, completely misunderstood what was being discussed. My fault for skimming. Was drawn in to the thread by the title and then started wondering if I should expect throttling on my new card. Good to know about this stuff though as I'll likely try pushing it a little at some point.

You need to monitor core clock MHZ speeds, not GPU activity ;)

This affects 290's whether they are run in silent/gaming or OC mode. The core will drop to keep the noise and temps down. We'd rather simply have the fan spin quicker to keep the temps down, but powertune has other ideas!

You need to monitor core clock MHZ speeds, not GPU activity ;)

This affects 290's whether they are run in silent/gaming or OC mode. The core will drop to keep the noise and temps down. We'd rather simply have the fan spin quicker to keep the temps down, but powertune has other ideas!

Keep reporting the issue to AMD guys. Its the only way it will get fixed. Use the links in my sig. The more who report it, the quicker it gets fixed. Be as specific as possible and feel free to post the LT solution of using RadeonPro when submitting the bug report.

Received my MSI R9 290 Gaming today and was curious to see if I was suffering from throttling. Afterburner would suggest not, with the core mildly overclocked to 1,000 Mhz I saw the core clock maintained continuously with max temp of 89oC and fan running at 85%. There was no evidence of the core **** being throttled or reduced in any way.

Andy

Received my MSI R9 290 Gaming today and was curious to see if I was suffering from throttling. Afterburner would suggest not, with the core mildly overclocked to 1,000 Mhz I saw the core clock maintained continuously with max temp of 89oC and fan running at 85%. There was no evidence of the core **** being throttled or reduced in any way.

Andy
That seems exceptionally hot and loud for a Gaming Edition.

Andy

That's very hot, mine doesn't go above 67c @ 55% fan speed now with a clock of 1077 stock volts.

That's very hot, mine doesn't go above 67c @ 55% fan speed now with a clock of 1077 stock volts.

In that case I had better keep an eye on the temperatures. The case has 2x 12" fans extracting air and a 12" fan at the front blowing air in to the case. The CPU is water-cooled with the heat being exhausted out of the back of the case. The only issue could the that the computer case is relatively enclosed on the desk. My XFX HD6970 would regularly hit 90oC in the same set up.

I have also noticed that it takes a long time too cool down after use as well.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom