• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI R9 290 / 290x gaming edition - powertune throttling the core clock discussion...

In that case I had better keep an eye on the temperatures. The case has 2x 12" fans extracting air and a 12" fan at the front blowing air in to the case. The CPU is water-cooled with the heat being exhausted out of the back of the case. The only issue could the that the computer case is relatively enclosed on the desk. My XFX HD6970 would regularly hit 90oC in the same set up.

I have also noticed that it takes a long time too cool down after use as well.

Andy

It's possible the cooler has bad contact with the die, it shouldn't run like that even with the worst airflow.

With the Twin Frozr design if you can get air blowing directly down onto both GPU fans you will see a drastic reduction in temperatures. Bitfenix outlaw is the best case for this card.

I have also noticed that it takes a long time too cool down after use as well.

Andy

That would suggest to me that the hot air inside the case isn't being exhausted quick enough, therefore keeping your gpu hotter for longer.

I had the same issue when I ran my 290X inside a Lian Li V355 Micro Atx case.

With the side panels taken off things were much better and the card would cool down much more quickly when the load dropped.

Don't have to worry now as I have installed my setup on a Dimastech Nano Test Bench :)

Keep reporting the issue to AMD guys. Its the only way it will get fixed. Use the links in my sig. The more who report it, the quicker it gets fixed. Be as specific as possible and feel free to post the LT solution of using RadeonPro when submitting the bug report.

Submitted this

GPU Core Throttle.

The core which should lock at 977mhz, lowers down to 700 when gaming, constant spikes, peaks and troughs when gaming. In overclock mode at 1077mhz this also happens. In Silent mode at 947mhz this also happens. In some instances the core drops to below 500mhz and the fps suffers even more. This inconsistent constant throttling of the core keeps the temperatures low, and the noise of the fan low at the expense of poor stuttering frame rates, micro stutter, and such poor performance that my 280x performs better as the core is locked.

A 290 with cores dropping to circa 700mhz doesn't give great performance or consistent gameplay.

This can be fixed by using MSI Afterburner unofficial overclocking mode and forcing the GPU core to 978mhz or 1077mhz, in this instance the core is locked solid like a 280x. BUT the fan does have to spin a little faster and louder to control the extra heat from a locked core. RESULT is no stutter, or fps loss and solid quality performance in games. The faster spinning fan is still quiet on my Twin Frozr MSI gaming edition.

Why does powertune favour throttling the core in an aftermarket cooler version of the 290, which is quiet and cool under heavy load? It should be increasing the fan speed first and foremost until temps become a problem around 90*c and then throttling the core to control further temp rises. Not lowering performance to control temps when the threshold of the fan is barely spinning. The card core throttles at temps around 60*c

Hi, i have a MSI 290 gaming edition and using Afterburner to clock it at 1100mhz gpu - 1400mhz memory

when playing battlefield 4 for hour or so my speed stays stuck on 1099 - 1100 dead on, yes gpu usage is up on down

max temp 79c fan on auto and gets to 58%, I like pc silent as possible so aint got fans on full and could add another to aide cooling more

guys I should be getting the MSi 290 tomorrow. Without reading 9+ pages, is there anything I should know regarding gaming/overclocking? I want to get maximum performance and don't mind the noise with a custom fan profile in Afterburner, I just don't want any throttling if possible. Also, would I be able to change the thermal paste without voiding the warranty?

guys I should be getting the MSi 290 tomorrow. Without reading 9+ pages, is there anything I should know regarding gaming/overclocking? I want to get maximum performance and don't mind the noise with a custom fan profile in Afterburner, I just don't want any throttling if possible. Also, would I be able to change the thermal paste without voiding the warranty?

mate 9 pages aint that much, didnt take me long to figure it out reading up past pages, just saves people repeating themselves

That seems exceptionally hot and loud for a Gaming Edition.

Reconfigured some of the fan cases today. Moved the front intake to the side so it was blowing directly on to the MSI R9 290 Gaming and also increased the fan speed for the fan cases. There are 2 x 120cm case fans (1 side fan as an intake fan blowing directly onto the GPU card and 1 top fan as an extract fan). Plus the fan the for CPU liquid cooler which also extracts air from the case and the PSU fan extracting air from the case.

My card is running really hot still; even hit 94oC with fan at 100% and saw some evidence of core throttling - I have removed Afterburner as it was playing havoc with BF4 and when Afterburner was running the core clock would stick in 3D mode (same also happened with RadeonPro but not when using AMD Overdrive).

The computer case is in quite an enclosed space on the desk so I am going to drill some holes in the desk to improve air circulation around the case as I think warm air is getting trapped around the case. If that doesn't improve thing then I will contact Overclockers to discuss an RMA.

Curiously with a small overclock the GPU seemed to run marginally cooler.

Andy

Reconfigured some of the fan cases today. Moved the front intake to the side so it was blowing directly on to the MSI R9 290 Gaming and also increased the fan speed for the fan cases. There are 2 x 120cm case fans (1 side fan as an intake fan blowing directly onto the GPU card and 1 top fan as an extract fan). Plus the fan the for CPU liquid cooler which also extracts air from the case and the PSU fan extracting air from the case.

My card is running really hot still; even hit 94oC with fan at 100% and saw some evidence of core throttling - I have removed Afterburner as it was playing havoc with BF4 and when Afterburner was running the core clock would stick in 3D mode (same also happened with RadeonPro but not when using AMD Overdrive).

The computer case is in quite an enclosed space on the desk so I am going to drill some holes in the desk to improve air circulation around the case as I think warm air is getting trapped around the case. If that doesn't improve thing then I will contact Overclockers to discuss an RMA.

Andy

I've got a fractal R4, with one 120mm intake, obstructed by drive bays, and a rear 120mm exhaust. Both spin on the slowest setting. So no real epic case extraction and topping out at 60-70*c. Yours definitely sounds faulty, its hitting reference cooler temps!

I also have a Fractual R4 case, with 2 140mm front intake , 1 back 140mm exhaust and 1 top 140mm exhaust , running to low to medium speed

max mine reaches is 76c at 54% fan speed and idle 33c fan at 18% , when browsing its around 35c - 39c

Andy

you say its in a enclosure why don't you take it out and also take off the side panel and then see, then will probably know for sure

you say its in a enclosure why don't you take it out and also take off the side panel and then see, then will probably know for sure

That's the job for this afternoon. As soon as I can drag my son away from Battlefield Hero's that is! Might also try reducing the core voltage a touch as well although if that is the answer then it will be RMA'd.

Andy

That's the job for this afternoon. As soon as I can drag my son away from Battlefield Hero's that is! Might also try reducing the core voltage a touch as well although if that is the answer then it will be RMA'd.

Andy

dont see why you should have to lower the core voltage, just leave it at stock, i have mine at 1100mhz gpu - 1400mhz memory, at 50% power and getting max 76c at load, i bet that would be lower if i had it at stock

Couple of questions guys.

1) How do I check the ASCII (?) quality of my card? I know there's a software for it but I forgot the name... :o

2) What clocks/voltages are you guys running your 290's at so I can have a rough starting point please.

Couple of questions guys.

1) How do I check the ASCII (?) quality of my card? I know there's a software for it but I forgot the name... :o

2) What clocks/voltages are you guys running your 290's at so I can have a rough starting point please.

1) GPU-Z. Right click the title bar of gpu-z to read asic.

2) 1000/1250 24/7. Under volted by -0.037v on the core.

You should be able to do around 1075-1100 on stock voltage. Maybe higher if you get a good one. I'd focus mainly on overclocking the core and leave the memory at stock, unless benching.

Last edited:
1) GPU-Z. Right click the title bar of gpu-z to read asic.

2) 1000/1250 24/7. Under volted by -0.037v on the core.

You should be able to do around 1075-1100 on stock voltage. Maybe higher if you get a good one. I'd focus mainly on overclocking the core and leave the memory at stock, unless benching.

Thanks a lot Matt. :)

Does upping the memory do nothing in games then? I'll probably re-download Heaven but it's be used for gaming otherwise. All i've done is set the power limit to 50%+ and not touched the voltage yet. Also I have an MSi 290, would it unlock to a 290X?

Thanks a lot Matt. :)

Does upping the memory do nothing in games then? I'll probably re-download Heaven but it's be used for gaming otherwise. All i've done is set the power limit to 50%+ and not touched the voltage yet. Also I have an MSi 290, would it unlock to a 290X?

It does very little. You'll be hard pressed to saturate the 512 bit bus in most games unless you're at Eyefinity or 4k. For boosting benchmark scores it can help though.

Back
Top Bottom