• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

msi radeon rx 6800 xt gaming x poor performer/overclocker/driver issues

Associate
Evening Reddit,
system is 10850k with 64gb corsair 3600mhz ram, gigabyte z490 aorus elite ac motherboard

card was delivered to me a week ago, have just tried to overclock it,

only reason i have done so was because playing cod zombies max details and medium ray tracing gives 55fps, and with no raytracing is 130 fps, whilst looking at wattman, i noticed it would only use 150w of power consumption, regardless of clock settings, i have failed to get it to reach its total wattage, this is the same for borderlands 3, it uses only 220w, just seems its not performing correctly.

the stock clocks would never go above 2200mhz, despite being an after market card,

when i chose manual tuning settings and the checked gpu tuning, i saw that the voltage slider was already maxed out and appears the power limit slider makes no difference,

i also dont know if its worth mentioning, a game called "the medium" would always crash, and the driver would crash aswell, it happened a couple times in borderlands,

its a shame because i read the review of this card and it can achieve 2600mhz+, mine fails to go above 2500mhz, if i adjust the max frequency slider any higher than 2550mhz, it will straight away crash, does it have something to do with the voltage ?

i only posted because the card appears to be unstable even at standard clocks with a clean install of the driver. i have attatched a picture of my settings on wattman, if im not wrong, there is no other program that can control the gpu overclock?

https://ibb.co/54yB1S8

54yB1S8
any one have any advice what im doing wrong or any suggestions ? cheers for the help :)

ps, can some one tell me how to upload an image to this post? i have posted a link to my wattman

Associate
OP
Caporegime
Evening Reddit,
system is 10850k with 64gb corsair 3600mhz ram, gigabyte z490 aorus elite ac motherboard

card was delivered to me a week ago, have just tried to overclock it,

only reason i have done so was because playing cod zombies max details and medium ray tracing gives 55fps, and with no raytracing is 130 fps, whilst looking at wattman, i noticed it would only use 150w of power consumption, regardless of clock settings, i have failed to get it to reach its total wattage, this is the same for borderlands 3, it uses only 220w, just seems its not performing correctly.

the stock clocks would never go above 2200mhz, despite being an after market card,

when i chose manual tuning settings and the checked gpu tuning, i saw that the voltage slider was already maxed out and appears the power limit slider makes no difference,

i also dont know if its worth mentioning, a game called "the medium" would always crash, and the driver would crash aswell, it happened a couple times in borderlands,

its a shame because i read the review of this card and it can achieve 2600mhz+, mine fails to go above 2500mhz, if i adjust the max frequency slider any higher than 2550mhz, it will straight away crash, does it have something to do with the voltage ?

i only posted because the card appears to be unstable even at standard clocks with a clean install of the driver. i have attatched a picture of my settings on wattman, if im not wrong, there is no other program that can control the gpu overclock?

https://ibb.co/54yB1S8

54yB1S8
any one have any advice what im doing wrong or any suggestions ? cheers for the help :)

ps, can some one tell me how to upload an image to this post? i have posted a link to my wattman
I heard there was an issue with the MSI 6800 XT. Apparently using the earlier BIOS revision fixes some issues.

Have a read of these discussions and see if they relate.
MSI RX 6800 XT 16GB Gaming Trio BSOD system failur... - AMD Community
RX6800XT Gaming X Trio **Black screen** random signal loss | MSI Global English Forum - Index

You might want to contact MSI.

Associate
OP
I heard there was an issue with the MSI 6800 XT. Apparently using the earlier BIOS revision fixes some issues.

Have a read of these discussions and see if they relate.
MSI RX 6800 XT 16GB Gaming Trio BSOD system failur... - AMD Community
RX6800XT Gaming X Trio **Black screen** random signal loss | MSI Global English Forum - Index

You might want to contact MSI.

will have a look at those, i havent experienced bsod or black screens, just driver crashes and less power to the gpu, i have swapped out the power cables, i used to have 2 cables, each had 6+2 pins x 2 per cable, now i have 6+2 pins per cable if that makes sense.

will run another test and see if theres any change, will also look at bios's, any idea how to flash those ? i know the proccess on nvidia cards, just not amd. cheers

Man of Honour
will have a look at those, i havent experienced bsod or black screens, just driver crashes and less power to the gpu, i have swapped out the power cables, i used to have 2 cables, each had 6+2 pins x 2 per cable, now i have 6+2 pins per cable if that makes sense.
will run another test and see if theres any change, will also look at bios's, any idea how to flash those ? i know the proccess on nvidia cards, just not amd. cheers
There will be an update tool for the bios check msi website for your gpu.

Associate
OP
There will be an update tool for the bios check msi website for your gpu.
will have a look now, might be margin of error, but using the borderlands 3 benchmark, i got 102fps average, and now with the changed wires i get 104fps, seemed a bit smoother, but noticed the display flickering as iff theres mini surge power cuts ?

Man of Honour
will have a look now, might be margin of error, but using the borderlands 3 benchmark, i got 102fps average, and now with the changed wires i get 104fps, seemed a bit smoother, but noticed the display flickering as iff theres mini surge power cuts ?
Check the basics like cpu boosting and temps , memory set to correct speed ,
Chipset drivers for the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Check the basics like cpu boosting and temps , memory set to correct speed ,
Chipset drivers for the motherboard.
will also check those, though im sure i installed all of the drivers ect.

as for the cpu, i have xmp enabled @ 3600mhz in bios and all core turbo is 10850k @ 4.8ghz will try to get a stable overclock at a later time, but 5.2ghz with 3800mhz works on the memory, im sure its 98% stable, but left it at default not to risk it for now.

Associate
OP
was just trying to figure out what bios version is on the card. the msi live update doesnt show me, and it wont find a new bios, i would like to download the bios on tech power up, but dont want to brick a card i paid £1000 for lol.

Associate
OP
was just trying to figure out what bios version is on the card. the msi live update doesnt show me, and it wont find a new bios, i would like to download the bios on tech power up, but dont want to brick a card i paid £1000 for lol.

Associate
OP

Associate
OP
It could be a fault with the PSU, it often turns out to be the culprit with these types of issues. Do you have another you can swap it out with to try?
unfortunately, i dont have a different power suypply to test it with, with that said my old system only used 450w at best so this psu has had less than 30% usage in the time ive had it from new, its a superflower 1300w gold psu

Soldato
unfortunately, i dont have a different power suypply to test it with, with that said my old system only used 450w at best so this psu has had less than 30% usage in the time ive had it from new, its a superflower 1300w gold psu
I know it always seems like it should be fine, I've just seen a lot of similar problems posted here over the years that have turned out to be faulty PSU. If it's quite old then it could be the problem, or it may have even always had an issue it's just not been a problem running under a certain power draw. I've had similar problems myself in the past and had a faulty PSU out of the box too. Just saying not to rule it out and if does turn out to be that, then at least it's an easy fix.

Associate
OP
I know it always seems like it should be fine, I've just seen a lot of similar problems posted here over the years that have turned out to be faulty PSU. If it's quite old then it could be the problem, or it may have even always had an issue it's just not been a problem running under a certain power draw. I've had similar problems myself in the past and had a faulty PSU out of the box too. Just saying not to rule it out and if does turn out to be that, then at least it's an easy fix.
Im 100% positive it's not that, I had a 980ti clocked at 1448mhz and that drew a lot of power. This 6800xt can't draw much more... I've had the psu for 6 years, and for 2 years I didnt use the pc. I've checked all the voltages, and all is fine....

Associate
Not a useful comment but in terms of OC of it makes you feel better the max stable clock I can set is 2490-2590, any higher and it can't complete benchmark runs let alone game safely. Average clocks are in the high 2400's although in most games it'll settle at low 2500's, not awful but a far cry from most reviews of my model. I'm still very happy with the card though.

Back
Top Bottom