• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI scalping their own 3080s on ebay, links included [REDDIT]

Soldato
Don't get why they would do this. For that low quantity of cards is it worth the risk to reputation?
Not really followed but with the stupidity of the market there's a part of me that doesn't blame them for trying it on. That's not me confirming that it was a good or right thing to do however.
I have no interest in paying over the retail price for a GPU and if everyone else thought the same, there would be no market for scalping

Soldato
Can't blame them for trying. Business is business. I wouldn't pay scalped pricing because I'm not stupid. But the option is there for rich people who can't wait for regular stock levels.

I'd be furious if petrol/food/milk was scalped while in short supply.

Associate
WOW so the reason why I'm not getting a £800 MSI Card from OCUK is because they're busy selling direct to consumers via eBay at inflated prices?

NVIDIA should withdraw their supply to MSI, this is absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Associate
Doesnt seem like it would be legal for a company to do that.

It's not illegal for a company to sell their own products to their own retailers who can price them at any price they like.

Hopefully it's in breech of NVidia contracts with MSI but who knows, it's potentially totally fine if totally frowned upon.

Soldato
So you are commenting without reading any of the links?

Starlit has same company address as MSI
The MD Of Starlit is MSI head of Sales.
The guy listing the cards of Starlit is an MSI employee
MSI have acknowledged its them and apologised
MSI has partial refunded all the people who bought the cards so they paid normal MSI MSRP or offered them a full refund.

Just how much evidence are you going to need before you stop defending them and claiming its fake news?

This might make some of you think again, assuming its true. Certainly making me think do I want to purchase from this company. the second line is a bit damming.

Soldato
WOW so the reason why I'm not getting a £800 MSI Card from OCUK is because they're busy selling direct to consumers via eBay at inflated prices?

NVIDIA should withdraw their supply to MSI, this is absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Amazing how many people on this thread have not read what actually happened and have got it so wrong. Dont you guys actually read the facts or just like to make it up or are just being sarcastic ?

All MSI are "guilty" of is accidentally putting the 3xxx's on their refurbished list.
All the Starlit Company is "guilty" of doing is then putting said items on Ebay for sale.
Both a simple but embarrassing mistake.

MSI DID NOT put them for sale on Ebay.

Associate
The amount of people willing to die on MSI's hill baffles me. Do you pledge allegiance to the MSI logo each morning too? MSI have a long list of shady practices and controversy recently, if you really believe that none of it comes from the corporate culture at the very top you must have been born yesterday.

MSI owned up because they got caught red handed, they'd have known full well where their extremely limited stock was ending up at the moment.

I think some people here have MSI tattooed on their foreheads...

Associate

Nvidia? lol they are the root of this problem to begin with.
They should have never launched these card when stocks were so limited.
and they could have easily prevented bots and scalpers from draining that limited stock.

Associate
The amount of people willing to die on MSI's hill baffles me. Do you pledge allegiance to the MSI logo each morning too? MSI have a long list of shady practices and controversy recently, if you really believe that none of it comes from the corporate culture at the very top you must have been born yesterday.

MSI owned up because they got caught red handed, they'd have known full well where their extremely limited stock was ending up at the moment.

I think some people here have MSI tattooed on their foreheads...

I am not defending MSI in anyway. MSI are squarely responsible for the mistake. They have admitted that they 100% own Starlit by referring to it as a subsidiary.. so there are no third parties involved.

But this is the nature of components business, its run by goons.

Ever wondered why organisations buy stuff from big name OEMs than getting it assembled from local SIs?

Soldato
If gold was in short supply, and I had tons of it, I'd charge an absolute fortune for it. Who wouldn't? The same with anything. If a crate full of the latest and very much sought after iphone washed up on the beach and I was able to charge £2,000 per phone, I would. I wouldn't feel sorry for the consumer and charge retail prices.

I'm obviously seeing this differently to everybody else. I dont see what the problem is?

When I buy a graphics card, I just buy the best deal. I dont have a moan at the most expensive. I think it's funny that this company had the gall to inflate the prices and I find it equally funny that the internet is so infuriated by it.

Soldato
If gold was in short supply, and I had tons of it, I'd charge an absolute fortune for it. Who wouldn't? The same with anything. If a crate full of the latest and very much sought after iphone washed up on the beach and I was able to charge £2,000 per phone, I would. I wouldn't feel sorry for the consumer and charge retail prices.

I'm obviously seeing this differently to everybody else. I dont see what the problem is?

When I buy a graphics card, I just buy the best deal. I dont have a moan at the most expensive. I think it's funny that this company had the gall to inflate the prices and I find it equally funny that the internet is so infuriated by it.

That's not quite the same as your 'gold' example. People are queuing waiting for their cards going through the regular channels and no one getting them, then msi do this. Its not their card to do what they want , surely Nvidia should have control over it, its their tech outsourced out.

So it's not quite the same...

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not quite the same as your 'gold' example. People are queuing waiting for their cards going through the regular channels and no one getting them, then msi do this. Its not their card is it, surely Nvidia should have control over it, its their tech outsourced out.

So it's not quite the same...

I think people are just overreacting because they're desperate for a 3080. If a reseller was scalping a corsair AIO for example, there wouldn't be this kind of reaction.

Back
Top Bottom