• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI scalping their own 3080s on ebay, links included [REDDIT]

Soldato
It is now being reported that Starlit was selling 2080's at launch also so it is not the first time this has happened, just the first time they got caught. Someone in MSI knew exactly waht was going on at Starlit most certainly did. Shady practise, wont be buying from them again.

hahahahahahahaha. Amazing.

Man of Honour
It is now being reported that Starlit was selling 2080's at launch also so it is not the first time this has happened, just the first time they got caught. Someone in MSI knew exactly waht was going on at Starlit most certainly did. Shady practise, wont be buying from them again.

I wonder if someone at MSI was lining their own pockets.

Staff at MSI and Starlit would be well aware that the 30xx series of cards are new, and as MSI pointed out, they shouldn’t be selling new products.

Hence, one of the following:

Staff are knowingly putting these up for sale

Staff are negligent, and don’t know their own trading rules

Staff are negligent and really didn’t know they were new products.

Regardless, there clear cause for blame, even if there wasn’t malicious intent.

Intuition would tell me that the staff knew exactly what they were doing, and thought they’d get away with selling just a few to improve cash flow/bonus.

Assuming, for the sake of argument, this wasn't intended from higher up most staff will just follow orders, even if they noticed let alone noticed and knew it was wrong most people will just shrug and someone else's problem it. This will then test your organisation structure and whether line managers are properly trained and on the ball, etc. how much management actually bother themselves to stay at least somewhat in touch with day to day operations and so on.

Problems of this kind of nature can go on for a very long time because the organisational structure often actively discourages people rocking the boat, people aren't paid enough to care at the end of the day, many people are too lazy and/or stupid to be conscientious and so on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not unusual in my opinion. It's probably the first time someone got caught.

I seen promotion exclusive DLC for FF7 remake been sold on ebay in the 100s, only someone affiliated with SE or a retailer would have that many to sell.

A person in a conversation about it also revealed the book company he works for will sell certian products on ebay for a premium, as they do it to avoid tarnishing their name to sell at that price on their own website.

Soldato
I really don't see why the idiots who took advantage of this and threw money down the drain at the scalpers should be offered refunds over the MSRP.

They chose to partake in the queue jumping, being the spoilt little brats they are....let them live with their financial decision, they obviously have money to burn

Associate
I'm obviously seeing this differently to everybody else. I dont see what the problem is?

The main problem is that it's basically disrespectful to:

1. Your retail partners who expect to get cards to distribute them to your customers.
2. Your customers who expect to buy cards.

So yeah it's totally fine for a retailer of products to charge whatever they like, it's however also totally fine if people stop buying from those manufacturers because of their somewhat shady practises.

Associate
It may have been a mistake but it may also have been entirely intentional. None of us know for sure.

No mistake, I'm sure of it until I see a plausible scenario in which Starlit are buying cards via a 3rd party or by a pseudonym which would conceal their intended delivery location and manifest and invoicing. Sadly I'm in the queue for an MSI trio.

Associate
No mistake, I'm sure of it until I see a plausible scenario in which Starlit are buying cards via a 3rd party or by a pseudonym which would conceal their intended delivery location and manifest and invoicing. Sadly I'm in the queue for an MSI trio.

I tend to believe it's intentional however if it was a mistake, it's equally damning because this is a major launch with very little stock so it beggars belief that they haven't had high level conversations on their stock levels and specifically, where that stock is going.

Soldato
I doubt its a 'mistake' as Msi have a fairly chequered history going back. I have bought a fair amount of Msi stuff over the years and my card is Msi and has been excellent. However, scalping the 3080 when so many loyal customers are waiting on these cards is unforgiveable for me so I am done with Msi!

Soldato
The main problem is that it's basically disrespectful to:

1. Your retail partners who expect to get cards to distribute them to your customers.
2. Your customers who expect to buy cards.

So yeah it's totally fine for a retailer of products to charge whatever they like, it's however also totally fine if people stop buying from those manufacturers because of their somewhat shady practises.

Surely it would be disrespectful if MSI did the opposite and undercut the retailers by selling a 3080 for £600 direct to consumers? That would be hugely disrespectful to retailers like OCUK.

Do you think the consumers would still be outraged and refuse to buy MSI out of respect and loyalty to OCUK? I'm pretty sure they'd sell out in a flash.

Last edited:
Associate
If your car was worth £1000 but you knew someone really wanted it and was willing to give you £1500 would you say no to the £1500 and take the £1000?

It people are willing to pay it then its nothing but the peoples fault.

Video on Gamers Nexus just gone up

i agree, its completely scummy thing to do. but if you're also monumentally stupid enough to pay it, then you deserve to be ripped off.

Last edited:
Associate
Surely it would be disrespectful if MSI did the opposite and undercut the retailers by selling a 3080 for £600 direct to consumers? That would be hugely disrespectful to retailers like OCUK.

It's every retailers dream to sell direct to consumer because they can make more money but they typically don't have the capability to do so.

Hence why they partner with the wholesale + retail channels to distribute their cards globally, that way they offload all of the sales support, RMA etc... so they don't have to handle it themselves.

So yeah manufacturers have to keep their retail partners happy otherwise they will just stop selling their gear in favour of their competitors.

Back
Top Bottom