• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI scalping their own 3080s on ebay, links included [REDDIT]

Caporegime
I tend to believe it's intentional however if it was a mistake, it's equally damning because this is a major launch with very little stock so it beggars belief that they haven't had high level conversations on their stock levels and specifically, where that stock is going.

This. When you only have 30 cards in the entire world, losing 4 to scalping on Ebay is a bit much.

Soldato
Funny how people jump to the defence of multi million pound corporations that don't even care about their customers enough to have a decent RMA process. :rolleyes:

Associate
The scalping was well documented and MSI or certainly people workign for them blatantly were well aware and earning well off it.
This reflects in the stament made by MSI tellign all customers using that seller who is a subsiduory of them they would get either a refund or the difference back the scaling made.
It is pretty underhand but it isnt the first underhand thing MSI have done, perhaps others are doing it as well, who knows, but MSI have been caught out clearly and squarely. Greed - it ruins everything in this world

Soldato
That bloke works for MSI clearly. Don’t need to say anymore.

No I dont. I just understand how it can happen. I have had a bad experience with these subsidiaries, partner companies, third parties, call them what you will. I was annoyed at people not reading what had happened more so than what MSI did or did not do. After all they have apologised so no mount of beefing on here is going to change anything.

I apologise if anyone got upset over my posts.

Soldato
No I dont. I just understand how it can happen. I have had a bad experience with these subsidiaries, partner companies, third parties, call them what you will. I was annoyed at people not reading what had happened more so than what MSI did or did not do. After all they have apologised so no mount of beefing on here is going to change anything.

I apologise if anyone got upset over my posts.

If this company is headquartered in UK and if this is instead a bank doing similar shady business and get caught...an apology is enough?!

oh wait...the FCA has found out about the PPI and some rogue traders has spent prison time for causing market crash and run on banks.

I wish everything in life is as simple as “I am sorry (I got caught), promise I won’t do it again (and I will do it right so that I don’t get caught)!” mantra

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's absolutly disgusting, how can someone review something they have no clue about.

Seems to be the way these days - MS Flight Sim 2020 for instance for a few days everyone and their gran that had a YT channel were featuring it (obviously supported rather than jumping on the trend, etc.) even though most of them never did anything like that normally and/or obviously barely knew what they were doing.

Associate
I have had a bad experience with these subsidiaries, partner companies, third parties, call them what you will

My understanding of a subsidiary is that it is (almost) 100% owned.. Starlit's earnings will be consolidated when MSI presents its financial statements and recommends dividends to shareholders.. so you cant club subsidiaries, partner companies, third parties etc. under a single banner

in rare cases a subsidiary is formed through M&A and then you can argue about cultural disparity but that will be stretching it

Permabanned
Seems to be the way these days - MS Flight Sim 2020 for instance for a few days everyone and their gran that had a YT channel were featuring it (obviously supported rather than jumping on the trend, etc.) even though most of them never did anything like that normally and/or obviously barely knew what they were doing.

I don't like the way this online influencer stuff is taking hold, especially when people are basing it on a review these people who have no idea about the products they are touching. It's the wrong direction for tech for sure.

Man of Honour
+1

Has to be hands down the worse graphics card launch I have ever experienced.
NVIDIA well and truly screwed this up, there is just zero availability any where.

Problem is if the shortage is cores and/or VRAM they can't even hurry a bunch more stuff through - even if they massively ramp up production it takes time (often around a month - sometimes even two for complex stuff) to fabricate these chips so they will be dependant for awhile on how much is already in the work as it doesn't seem like they started with any inventory build.

Problem is if the shortage is cores and/or VRAM they can't even hurry a bunch more stuff through - even if they massively ramp up production it takes time (often around a month - sometimes even two for complex stuff) to fabricate these chips so they will be dependant for awhile on how much is already in the work as it doesn't seem like they started with any inventory build.

Yup NVIDIA would have been fully aware of that, but decided to plough ahead with the launch anyway and front run AMD.
I don't believe for one minute that they under estimated the demand.
I just think they just made a greedy calculated corporate business decision that sucked for the consumer.

Secure as many pre-orders as we can before AMD brings their products to market, worry about the stock levels afterwards.

It was basically a cash grab.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't like the way this online influencer stuff is taking hold, especially when people are basing it on a review these people who have no idea about the products they are touching. It's the wrong direction for tech for sure.

Marketing has always been king for companies, I was contracted by a company who routinely spent millions on advertising but would question invoices for less than £100.

If you wonder why influencers are very much a thing now, imagine how much one would have to spend on advertising to reach a million eyeballs, and compare the cost of that to sending someone like gamersnexus a £1000 GPU.

They here to stay sadly, I dont like the same as you though. These influencers get very entitled and have too much sway over opinion. I still remember the ice cream business guy who doubled the price of ice cream for influencers as they refused to review the product without getting it for free, thats how entitled they get.

Associate
They've been making dog **** products for years. MSI have always been scumbags though this just takes the ******* biscuit.

Back
Top Bottom