MSI's X570 Tomahawk May Become Go-To OC Board??

Associate
I built mine today. Flashed the BIOS once, it seemed to have worked, solid light on the BIOS flash light after around 5 minutes. So thought all was good.

Proceeded to install all components only to not be able to POST. CPU light was lit solid.

I had a second 10+ year old USB stick which I had prepared, just in case. Left it alone for 10mins and came back to output on the monitor. Phew!

All good! 64GB 3600mhz across all 4 DIMMs @ CL16. Nice!
What memory are you using?

Soldato
I hate this board, trying to OC my Ram and it keeps bricking the board where CMOS reset doesn't work so I instead have to keep flashing the bios in order to get it back, I wouldn't mind but I'm not even doing stupid numbers for OC, it posts at 3600 18 20 20 20 40 but bricks when I try 16 20 20 20 40 both @ 1.4v, despite DRAM calc supposedly saying I can do way better. I'm probably going to give up because the time wasted trying to fine tune just isn't worth it for a few % better performance, if it wasn't for the bricking I'd probably keep trying though but it's just too much hassle hoping the flash will work first time (it doesn't always because reasons...)

Soldato
I hate this board, trying to OC my Ram and it keeps bricking the board where CMOS reset doesn't work so I instead have to keep flashing the bios in order to get it back, I wouldn't mind but I'm not even doing stupid numbers for OC, it posts at 3600 18 20 20 20 40 but bricks when I try 16 20 20 20 40 both @ 1.4v, despite DRAM calc supposedly saying I can do way better. I'm probably going to give up because the time wasted trying to fine tune just isn't worth it for a few % better performance, if it wasn't for the bricking I'd probably keep trying though but it's just too much hassle hoping the flash will work first time (it doesn't always because reasons...)

Yeah the board doesn't seem to recover from bad memory settings either but resetting CMOS has worked everytime. When you reset the CMOS and boot up again leave the board for about 30 seconds as it takes longer to POST after a CMOS reset. At first I thought the CMOS reset wasn't working for me also. But as for RAM tweaking all seems good here. Currently have my RAM at 14 14 14 30 45 at 3600mhz. Gonna try more mhz when the next AGESA bios is released.

Your tRAS and tRC timings seem a too low btw. tRAS is normally CL + tRCD so should be 36 in your case and tRC is normally tRAS + tRP so 56 going off your settings :)

Soldato
Thanks for the tip I'll give them a try overnight and see how it goes on the memtest, I really don't want to tweak too much though for fear of angering the bios and it not booting because I'm sick of having to reset it and then remember every setting I had, I don't understand why the bios can't just have a stock profile that it automatically reverts too if the current one is out of scope for working. It makes saving profiles pointless for testing if you have to keep reset every time it gets upset with a slight change in settings

Associate
I switched to a NH-D15 big tower cooler on this board, after my Kraken Z73 went wonky (it's under RMA, but I didn't want to wait). Can recommend, should have done this a lot sooner. Installation is easy (really tighten the screws!) and it keeps my 3900X well below critical temperatures, even under full Prime95 load.

Soldato
Thanks for the tip I'll give them a try overnight and see how it goes on the memtest, I really don't want to tweak too much though for fear of angering the bios and it not booting because I'm sick of having to reset it and then remember every setting I had

No problem :) After a CMOS reset just load a save profile and all should be back to normal. No need to remember anything :p

Soldato
Yeah that would work. Just press and hold it for a few seconds when you want to reset the CMOS. All the switch does is short the jumpers so it's just same but with the convenience of a buttom

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm wondering much impact does running 4 sticks (4 x 16gb) have on RAM OC vs 2, I've read that it's much harder to get it tuned vs 2 sticks so maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time and why DRAM calc numbers aren't really working ? Combined with a board that seems very pissy with the slightest bad ram setting it seems more like a recipe for disaster as experienced rather than success (running memtest overnight at current OC and 2 errors) maybe adding .1v to my 1.4 would give me the edge although again conflicting reports that Vengeance Pro RGB despite showing as B Die in Thaiphoon isn't always B die and could be C Die :confused: so it makes me a little nervous to go above 1.4v

Soldato
1.41v didn't make much difference now I've set myself up with a linux boot and GSAT, going back to 1.4v but going to loosen the timings, at what point do I lose performance vs just running XMP at 3200mhz ? I know 3600 is the sweet spot for zen but how much less performance is 3200 ?

Associate
Quick strawman poll if you like... is the majority here happy with the MSI Tomahawk? Mine just arrived and I kind of want to test ASAP if the BIOS flashing works, read some horror stories on the MSI Forums about this board being buggy?

Soldato
BIOS flashback worked fine here but as mentioned it does not seem to auto reset BIOS reliably on memory overclock fail like my old intel board meaning i have connected case reset switch to cmos reset to make things easier :p

The beta BIOS I am using seems to be missing from MSI page for now, hopefully due to an upcoming full release and not because of any issues with it (7C84v151)?

Associate
Beta v153 released :) Update to ComboAM4PIV2 1.1.9.0.

Have you installed it yet and played about with it? I was hoping this one wouldn't be a beta again, I don't usually install them, but with boosting being very hot at PBO I might just use them, just hate dialling in my MEM timings everytime lol

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Currently running it. I've tried out the curve optimiser settings with my 5600X as well.

y3um1yD.png

That was after coming out of a game I'd been playing. Soon as the BIOS/UEFI comes out of beta I'll dial this in a bit more.

Associate
I was waiting for someone else to install it first and just went for it so thank you @JRS :D

The dreaded WHEA errors are finally gone. I've had intermittent errors with PBO disabled on my 5900X running with 3800 FCLK. Running Geekbench would trigger half a dozen WHEA errors and they would crop up intermittently under normal load. Running with PBO enabled made it even worse and I had the odd idle reboot before disabling C-States which seemed to stop them.

I was starting to worry that my 5900X was faulty and was holding out for a new BIOS. I'll try PBO again later once I've ensured it's 100% stable but so far it's looking promising.

Default (PBO Off)
rxNc4Mz.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom